The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connsidering an imac i7
Old 17th May 2015
Gear Head

Connsidering an imac i7

I've been considering getting an imac 27" with an i7. It would be an upgrade from my pc which I've been using since 2007, which is a 2.4 ghz quad core(when they first came out). I really need to upgrade simply because I'm running on xp and the ram limitations are very frustrating. So I thought I might go the Mac route. I havent kept up too much with pc specs, but I'm concerned that while the imac will accomodate more memory, I wonder how many tracks can it handle. Also, how many plugins will I be able to run before it begins to give up. Can someone out there give me an idea as to what I can expect. Ideally, I'd like it to be able to run at least 20 tracks simutaneously or be able to handle a project that can have up to 80 tracks(not necessarily running simultaneously). I'd also jump over to logic(currenntly a cubase 4 user with reason). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If any one thinks a macbook might do the job, I'm also willing to explore that possibility as well. Also, if anyone is wondering why I want to jump to mac, it' s not just the memory issue, I wanted something more portable and straightforward. Right now I've got a ton of wires coming out of the back of my pc.An imac would simplify my life. Thanks.
Old 17th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by osharan View Post
I've been considering getting an imac 27" with an i7. It would be an upgrade from my pc which I've been using since 2007, which is a 2.4 ghz quad core(when they first came out). I really need to upgrade simply because I'm running on xp and the ram limitations are very frustrating. So I thought I might go the Mac route. I havent kept up too much with pc specs, but I'm concerned that while the imac will accomodate more memory, I wonder how many tracks can it handle. Also, how many plugins will I be able to run before it begins to give up. Can someone out there give me an idea as to what I can expect. Ideally, I'd like it to be able to run at least 20 tracks simutaneously or be able to handle a project that can have up to 80 tracks(not necessarily running simultaneously). I'd also jump over to logic(currenntly a cubase 4 user with reason). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If any one thinks a macbook might do the job, I'm also willing to explore that possibility as well. Also, if anyone is wondering why I want to jump to mac, it' s not just the memory issue, I wanted something more portable and straightforward. Right now I've got a ton of wires coming out of the back of my pc.An imac would simplify my life. Thanks.
What DAW?

I have a 2014 iMac i5, 16 gig RAM and I can easily do what you are asking with PT 11 and Logic Pro X....easy!
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear

I suggest the quad i7 model.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, might as well get the more powerful machine.

Old 18th May 2015
Gear Head

I also want to run some heavy vst's such as omnisphere. Will it be able to play alot of tracks and run a cpu hungry instrument such as that?
Old 18th May 2015
Gear Head

Peoples opinions on running imac for recording seem to be both positive and negative. I'm not sure what to make of it all. Its making the decision more difficult.
Old 18th May 2015
Gear Head

Thanks for the advice chokobo. As well as the warning about the ram. I would never expect that.
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokobo View Post
Yes you will hear the gamut of opinions, and do expect people to suggest that you shouldn't use OS X. :P

But like W suggested get the i7. For audio production hyper-threading is a wonderful thing. If you are already beating the limitation of your current machine it is a great idea to get a new one that will afford you a little bit of future proofing. Personally I'm totally impressed that you got eight years of work out of your previous machine. It certainly did its job for you.

Also, be carful when ordering a new Mac. Many of the new machines are coming with soldered on ram. This means that you have to order it with the max ram when you buy it because you will not be able to add it later. While the Apple leadership is doing a great job in many ways they are also totally blowing it with respect to some aspects of their computers--upgrades being a major issue. In the iMac line up though I think only the entry level one suffers from the ram issue. But do check into it, because I'm not sure on this point.
Soldered on ram??? Are you serious??? They must have gone completely insane!
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear

The 27 inch models have user upgradeable RAM.

Upgrading the system drive requires a complete tear down.
Old 18th May 2015
Gear Head

I just want something thats simplified and will llast for the long haul. I also want it to handle whatever I throw at it.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search