The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Multiple hardware synth, MIDI & DAW setup help Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Nut

Multiple hardware synth, MIDI & DAW setup help

Hi, I'm looking for some help wrapping my head around a MIDI setup for multiple synths. I'll try and keep it concise.

I have multiple hardware synths (3 keyboard 3 rack) and a MIDI drum pad (korg padKontrol).
I have a Mac laptop, Reaper as my DAW, and I just got a MOTU midi express 128.

Right now I have everything plugged into it's own MIDI input/output.
I have configured MacOS "Audio MIDI setup" to reflect the hardware connections.

I have been able to successfully record and playback MIDI from the keyboards, and have successfully routed recorded midi data to play back through the rack units (or other keys).

SO:

1) I want to control the racks with the keyboards 'live'. Even though I can playback the recorded data, I want to PLAY the Matrix 1000 rack with the JX8P. Do these two synths need to be physically connected directly to each other via MIDI cables, or can my DAW route them itself?

Thanks!!
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokobo View Post
The Motu boxes are quite sophisticated. You can do the routing with your sequencer application, or you can do the routing with the Motu box. Each synth is connected to the Motu box directly, with both the in and out cables. You don't have to disconnect the cables, because you can control the routing via either the Motu box, or your sequencer (Reaper).

Page 31 of the Express 128 manual explains how to use Motu's Clockworks to do the routing.
Thanks chokobo. It looks like the midi express 128 doesn't support clockworks, but now that I know that it can be done in Reaper I'll dig into the manual and try and sort it out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search