The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cores or Clock Speed for Logic 9.1.8 and Kontakt?
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Addict

Cores or Clock Speed for Logic 9.1.8 and Kontakt?

Hello Slutz.

So I am looking to upgrade from my 2 X 2.26GHz Quad-Core mainly because I get overload issues when I load up Kontakt especially with Signal and Rev. I'm fine with the track count I get and I don't use that many plugins. What should I go for in terms of performance - more cores or higher clock speed?

Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoizyNinja View Post
Hello Slutz.

So I am looking to upgrade from my 2 X 2.26GHz Quad-Core mainly because I get overload issues when I load up Kontakt especially with Signal and Rev. I'm fine with the track count I get and I don't use that many plugins. What should I go for in terms of performance - more cores or higher clock speed?

Cores or Clock Speed?

both
but if you can only base your purchase on one criteria, definitely cores. But you can buy 8 core CPUs pretty cheap now so it's not a big deal.

With samples and VI it's really a lot of factors. Hardisk speed, RAM, CPU. It's not one thing. Also it's tough to know just how optimized Kontakt is for MP.
You can get 12 cores but is it really going to get full utilization?
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Addict

You can't have both. So between these two:

Mac Pro "Six Core" 3.33 (2010/Westmere)3.33 GHz 6 Core Xeon W3680

or

Mac Pro "Eight Core" 2.4 (2010/Westmere)2.4 GHz Q. Core Xeon E5620 x2
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can't have both. So between these two:

Mac Pro "Six Core" 3.33 (2010/Westmere)3.33 GHz 6 Core Xeon W3680

or

Mac Pro "Eight Core" 2.4 (2010/Westmere)2.4 GHz Q. Core Xeon E5620 x2
You CAN have both, maybe just not with a mac. Apple is always way behind in PC technology.

Look at the new AMD FX-8350 Black... 8 cores 4ghz. They are $150 dollars,
also the newer i7-5960X, I think those are up to 3.6 ghz now...

There are other options. You can build a complete 8 core system for around $600 with 32 gig of ram.

I just built a 4ghz 4 core system for $450. The i7-4790K was on sale for $250, MB was $50, RAM was $150 for 32 gig. used spare parts for the rest.
machine smokes , overclocked to 4.30 GHz
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Addict

I appreciate you trying to help but I'm obviously on a mac running Logic and I'm not going to ditch that and switch to a whole new platform. I'm asking Logic and mac users this question. Thanks anyway
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I appreciate you trying to help but I'm obviously on a mac running Logic and I'm not going to ditch that and switch to a whole new platform. I'm asking Logic and mac users this question. Thanks anyway
sorry I thought logic was cross platform still, I keep forgetting Apple bought them

too bad, you can buy a 6 core system for $250, and get a free copy of reaper. Spend the other $2k on a nice burl

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz Six-Core CPU/Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 mATX MB/4GB DDR3 1600 Adata XPG V1 Memory/1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA HDD/DVD-ROM/Cougar Spike Case w/650W PSU Barebones at TigerDirect.com
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello Slutz.

Since you aren't running many VSTs at once, it's probably clock speed you want. I have a feeling those are like U-He's Diva in terms of resource demands.

Are you running multiple midi tracks into Signal and Rev? Bouncing the instrument's output of a Midi track or two so the algorithms aren't working as hard is an option.

PS: You should probably delete the duplicate topics you've accidentally posted.
Old 14th May 2015
Quote:
Hello Slutz.

What are the rest of your system specs?
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Your rig (if it is a MP ) should be fine for a master.I think a better buy overall would be a PC build(much cheaper and efficient than another MP) as a slave and run Vienna Ensemble Pro.

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Soft...a_Ensemble_PRO

That will ease your load a lot especially if you use VI library's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search