The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Interface Suggestions Audio Interfaces
Old 13th May 2015
Here for the gear

Audio Interface Suggestions

Hello all,
I recently purchased an early 2013 MacBook Pro 15" Retina. 512GB SSD 16GB RAM. Nice machine. It has two thunderbolt ports, and two USB 3.0 ports. My last MacBook Pro 15 crashed, and I was using an M-Audio Profire 610 audio interface, which is a FireWire 400 device. My question is this: what are some audio interfaces that some of you would recommend? I have read that I can get a Thunderbolt -> FireWire 800 adapter, and then a FireWire 800 -> FireWire 400 adapter, but I have read some sketchy results by users attempting to use the audio interface in this fashion. I need 24bit/192khz, 2 XLR inputs, multiple 1/4" inputs, multiple 1/4" outputs, and preferably, 2 headphone outs so that myself and another can monitor at the same time without using a headphone splitter. Any suggestions? It just seems that if I attempt to try to integrate my Profire 610 into this machine, it is going to take a combination of adapters/cables and like I said, I have read about many peeps that have had numerous varied problems attempting to do this regarding power issues, audio problems, etc. Anybody have any suggestions as to what a solid, high-quality interface might be worth looking into? I can't spend thousands of dollars, but willing to spend a little bit of dough for the right interface if it can meet all of my needs. I run Ableton Live 8 Suite as my primary DAW -- not sure if that would make a difference and have an influence on this decision.

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions you can provide gearslutz!!!
Old 14th May 2015
Check out the Motu 1248.
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

A rock solid option would be the Metric Halo ULN-2. If price new is an issue, then buying used is an idea. It doesn't have 2 headphones out though...would a splitter be that bad? If you need 8 in 8 out there's the 2882.
Old 14th May 2015

+1 MH 2882. I have seen used ones go for less than $800 on the fleabay. Look for a 2D Expanded version. New ones are on sale direct from MH atm. Buy new and get the forthcoming 3D hardware upgrade for a pittance (an entire motherboard + back panel, last word I heard from MH is it will only be $99 for peeps who buy new right now). Doesn't have two headphone jacks but a good ole TRS Y-cable will work well with this headphone amp. MH boxes are the best interfaces money can buy. I will never get rid of mine and have no interest in even trying anything else. If I had a million bucks I would invest in the amazing company.

-dd
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheming View Post
Check out the Motu 1248.
Perfect suggestion as it meets the OP's i/o requirements to a tee. The new units sound great too.
Old 14th May 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks for all of the input! Much appreciated.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search