The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD-2 with Win 8.1? DAW Software
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Head
UAD-2 with Win 8.1?

Hi!

Can find any info on UA's website so I'll ask you guys.
If I buy a UAD-2 PCI-e card for my PC, is it compatible with Windows 8.1?
UA's website says it support windows 7 but that don't necissarly mean it's not compatible with Win 8.1?

Anyone?
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Nut

I have a quad running fine on 8.1 64bit
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverock View Post
I have a quad running fine on 8.1 64bit
Cool, how do you get by with four cores? Is it enough for you? Would you recommend buying an octo?
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Nut

They are great plugs, but I can only use them on submixs and buses because they are resource heavy - especially the newer coded ones.

Personally...I wouldn't buy into the ecosystem because of expense. It is very very expensive
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverock View Post
They are great plugs, but I can only use them on submixs and buses because they are resource heavy - especially the newer coded ones.

Personally...I wouldn't buy into the ecosystem because of expense. It is very very expensive
Okay, but with two octo cores you should be able to mix an entire song with UAD plugs?
Old 13th May 2015
Windows 8.1 officially is not supported.
However, me and some fellow sluts do not have issues for over one year of actual use. UA simply has not done the whole QA pass required to support it.
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Windows 8.1 officially is not supported.
However, me and some fellow sluts do not have issues for over one year of actual use. UA simply has not done the whole QA pass required to support it.
Then I probably won't have any problems if I buy a PCI-e card and run the plugins inside PT 12?
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bee View Post
Okay, but with two octo cores you should be able to mix an entire song with UAD plugs?

You should have plenty of DSP to use any UAD plug-ins that you fancy. I have (11) DSP's (Quad, Solo PCIe cards, Apollo Quad & Apollo Twin) and most of the UAD plug-ins to track/monitor/mix with. It is quite liberating to be able to choose from the vast array of hardware replicas at my finger tips 24/7.

Regarding the Octo's, you have impeccable timing, as UA is currently having a "Power User" sale for PCIe cards. Purchase (2) Octo's and you will get nearly $2,000 bucks back in plug-ins value. It will be like getting one Octo free! Right now if you purchase an Octo you get a bunch of premium UAD plugins free (Pultec EQ Plug-In Collection, Lexicon® 224 Digital Reverb Plug-In, Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In). These are not throwaways, but some of the best and more popular UAD plug-ins. In fact, if I could only have one UAD plug-in it would be the Ampex ATR-102. I would buy a UAD-2 card just to run a single instance if I had to!

Once you register that card and you get your free plug-ins, register the 2nd card and since you will already have the promo plug-ins in your account, UA will then deposit $997 (equivalent value) in plug-in vouchers into your UA account for you to then choose whatever other plug-ins you may want. To top it off, UA usually has a semi-annual June Plug-in Blowout sale (15%-65% off), so that $997 will get you even more value at the sale prices.

UAD-2 Power Users

Cheers and have fun,

Bill Buck

Last edited by Billy Buck; 13th May 2015 at 06:12 PM..
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Buck View Post
You should have plenty of DSP to use any UAD plug-ins that you fancy. I have (11) DSP's (Quad, Solo PCIe cards, Apollo Quad & Apollo Twin) and most of the UAD plug-ins to track/monitor/mix with. It is quite liberating to be able to choose from the vast array of hardware replicas at my finger tips 24/7.

Regarding the Octo's, you are in luck as UA is currently having a "Power User" sale for PCIe cards. Purchase (2) Octo's and you will get nearly $2,000 bucks back in plug-ins value. It will be like getting one Octo free! Right now if you purchase an Octo you get a bunch of premium UAD plugins free (Pultec EQ Plug-In Collection, Lexicon® 224 Digital Reverb Plug-In, Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In).

Once you register that card and you get your free plug-ins, register the 2nd card and since you will already have the promo plug-ins in your account, UA will then deposit $997 (equivalent value) in plug-in vouchers into your UA account for you to then choose whatever other plug-ins you may want. To top it off, UA usually has a semi-annual June Plug-in Blowout sale (15%-65% off), so that $997 will get you even more value at the sale prices.

UAD-2 Power Users

Cheers and have fun,

Bill Buck
Thanks! Do you have a link to where I can read more about the offer?
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Head
If I buy the Octo Custom version, will I get the plugins from that original offer PLUS the plugins from the sale promo?
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bee View Post
If I buy the Octo Custom version, will I get the plugins from that original offer PLUS the plugins from the sale promo?

The Power User Promo ends June 30th. Yes, you will get both promo's and then wait until the June plug-in sale to save even more. If you are savvy and time your hardware/plug-in purchases to take advantage of UA's many "frequent" sales promos throughout the year, you will save a bundle.

UAD-2 Power Users

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search