The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Newest M-Audio Oxygen 49: question Keyboard Controllers
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

Newest M-Audio Oxygen 49: question

I just took one home yesterday and I have to say, for the price - one of the cheapest ones on the market - it's absolutely fantastic.
Extremely simple, aesthetically pleasing, and the keys and pads - imo - feel better than the twice-the-price AKAI MPK49 which I was set on buying.
The latter is a great machine but quite frankly, a little chuffed that they've released a newer version and the original has barely come down in price.

But onwards, I do have a question and I couldn't find the answer on M-Audio's site.

The 8 pads on the top right of the controller work great with most programs, however with the likes of Omnisphere and Kontakt libraries, they don't respond at all.
I quickly switch back to a piano or any other midi track in the session and bam, working fine again.

I'm not sure why that is, perhaps there's a setting I'm overlooking?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Skimming through the interwebs and nothing.
If anyone has any idea why this happens, by all means...
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

First check for your pads note range: the pads send out notes in a certain range. Check here: M-Audio - Acclaimed audio interfaces, studio monitors, and keyboard controllers
The pads on the Oxygen (MKIV) series are capable of transmitting Note ON/OFF and velocity messages. You can shift all 8 pads simultaneously by a single note or octave.
To shift all eight pads by a single note: Hold SHIFT and SELECT and press either the "-" or "+" OCTAVE button; To shift all eight pads by an octave: Hold SHIFT and press either the "-" or "+" OCTAVE button. How to reset the pads? Hold SHIFT and both OCTAVE buttons. The pads will light up and then dim to show that they have been reset.

Check also your midi settings.
For the rest check the manual and reassign notes to the pads.
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Question for you: I don't see any banking functionality? That you can switch the faders, knobs to other settings instantly I mean. I think its only possible to switch between 10 programs that can be customized.
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
First check for your pads note range: the pads send out notes in a certain range. Check here: M-Audio - Acclaimed audio interfaces, studio monitors, and keyboard controllers
The pads on the Oxygen (MKIV) series are capable of transmitting Note ON/OFF and velocity messages. You can shift all 8 pads simultaneously by a single note or octave.
To shift all eight pads by a single note: Hold SHIFT and SELECT and press either the "-" or "+" OCTAVE button; To shift all eight pads by an octave: Hold SHIFT and press either the "-" or "+" OCTAVE button. How to reset the pads? Hold SHIFT and both OCTAVE buttons. The pads will light up and then dim to show that they have been reset.

Check also your midi settings.
For the rest check the manual and reassign notes to the pads.
Yeah I read all of the above on the M-Audio site as well and it's still not working.
Thing is, the pads respond with certain VIs and not with others, in my case Omnisphere and anything NI.

I'll keep trying to find the solution, thanks!
Old 14th May 2015
Can I ask what DAW you're using? In Cubase I had to use 'quick controls' to be able to utilise all the knobs & sliders.

I will offer you a warning though, I've just replaced my Oxygen49 with a Novation Launchkey61... KEEP YOUR M-AUDIO MIDI CONTROLLER AS CLEAN AS POSSIBLE. Mine got some dust inside it, after 3 years everything went haywire and I could only use it by setting all the knobs and faders to zero. Otherwise it was sending completely random midi CC messages, pitch & modwheel ended up randomly detuning any vst I happened to be editing, not to mention that the other knobs and sliders seemed to be auto-linked to vsti parameters which meant any vsti it touched upon was instantly ruined... requiring a lengthy session going through previous saves and saving out all the non-ruined presets.
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperstate View Post
Can I ask what DAW you're using? In Cubase I had to use 'quick controls' to be able to utilise all the knobs & sliders.

I will offer you a warning though, I've just replaced my Oxygen49 with a Novation Launchkey61... KEEP YOUR M-AUDIO MIDI CONTROLLER AS CLEAN AS POSSIBLE. Mine got some dust inside it, after 3 years everything went haywire and I could only use it by setting all the knobs and faders to zero. Otherwise it was sending completely random midi CC messages, pitch & modwheel ended up randomly detuning any vst I happened to be editing, not to mention that the other knobs and sliders seemed to be auto-linked to vsti parameters which meant any vsti it touched upon was instantly ruined... requiring a lengthy session going through previous saves and saving out all the non-ruined presets.

I'm using Logic X, been on Logic since 2008, and since then have also used an Axiom 49, AKAI MPK Mini and Arturia Minlab and never encountered this issue.
There's this utility called DirectLink M-Audio suggested to download, in order to have things mapped to your DAW, and I did, but not quite sure it's all working right.
It's nowhere to be found in my machine, and, in the 'Control Surfaces' menu in Logic, it shows my Oxygen with a little box that 'wants' to be ticked (?), but you can't click in it, nothing happens, its stays unchecked.
(Perhaps if there's more than once device then yes, you can click on one vs. another?)

So you scan again, and redundantly, it keeps saying if I want to add an "Oxygen 2", so my guess is the DirectLink utility is in there and doing it's thing?
But nothing works, the transport bar (which supposedly should work), doesn't do a thing, uf, I don't know anymore, this is all very annoying.

I really just want the pads going, for I'm not one who really goes to great depths with midi controllers.
I love having the option and will occasionally assign - via Midi Learn - a knob or slider for something specific, but generally I'm more of a plug and play guy.
Plug in USB, the keys work, the pads work, I'm good to go for possible months or years without doing anything more.

Thanks for the warning about cleaning and maintenance; never has happened before but I'll be on the lookout and bust the dust when and if needed.
Old 20th May 2015
Lives for gear

This just in...

My Oxygen 49 just stopped responding, keys and all, just like that, out of nowhere.
Had created a new midi track/instrument, start playback, hit a key, nothing.
Unplug, replug. Nothing.
Reboot Logic X. Nothing.
Reboot Mac (after a good clean/repair permissions/etc.) and Logic. Nothing.
Reset all midi drivers in Logic preferences. Nothing.
Checked Audio/Miid utility, it's there and recognized.
Reboot everything one more time. Nothing.

I can trigger sound from the piano roll view in Logic, but the controller keys aren't triggering anything.

Anything I may have overlooked in my troubleshooting?
Thanks for any advice.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search