The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam US-1200 worth it? Audio Interfaces
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Nut

Tascam US-1200 worth it?

Hi!

I've just come across the Tascam US-1200 the other day and it looked quite attractive at its sub-$150 price for a 4-input rackmount interface. But I can't really find any info about it, although it seems to have been on the market for quite a long time.

What's the reason that this interface isn't that popular? Reviews seems to be very good but there aren't many of them.

Is this still worth getting? I'm a bit skeptical about its quality for that price.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac

What are you going to use it to do?
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbar View Post
What are you going to use it to do?
I'd like it to be the center piece to record with multiple mics. I also like that it has its own power supply, it seems to make it more reliable, although I'm not totally sure about this.
Old 9th May 2015
i see Sweetwater is blowing them out for $118.00..
Old 10th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by picur85 View Post
I'd like it to be the center piece to record with multiple mics. I also like that it has its own power supply, it seems to make it more reliable, although I'm not totally sure about this.

Well, I still don't know what to tell you because that still seems kind of vague to me.

Are you recording vocals? It's only got 4, inputs, right, so is that enough?

Latency... for the US-1600 (haven't tried the model you are looking at) is probably around 11ms on the lowest buffer setting through my DAW, if I remember correctly. Is that a problem, and if so... would you do outboard pre-processing of signals? Because I think there should be an output mix control before it is sent to the DAW, but if it's like the US-1600, you might want to invest in a headphore pre-amp anyway later because the pre-effected signal barely drove my headphones.

Other than that, the US-1600 was rock steady, anyway.

And if you are going to mix for surround sound, then you won't have enough outputs. I think the 16x08 has enough for 7.1.

Personally, I think probably the biggest drawback was middling latency with the US-1600's ASIO drivers, but that never really bothered me much (it did at first, a little, on vocals).

But honestly, if you get down to 9ms with a much more expensive device, is that 2ms a deal-breaker?

I don't know. It's your money.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search