The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools VU Meters DAW Software
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Pro Tools VU Meters

So I’m actually looking into... well, that's a strong wording... considering looking in the general direction of Pro Tools, for the built-in metering. I started out on Cubase and have used Logic Pro exclusively since version 8. I have no complaints about Logic other than the impossibility to get in touch with support and the relatively slow pace of development, both of which are only theoretical quibbles.

But man, I would really like to have proper metering.

So having heard that PT has VU metering I thought "cool." Turns out, PT HD has VU metering but not regular plain PT? Or, sorry, Pro Tools | HD and not Pro Tools | Software (blech...) Like seriously, wtf is up with that? Why do you need HD hardware to see a different kind of meter? Is that still the case in 12?

Am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous to so transparently cripple software to force people to buy hardware they don't need? I’m perfectly happy with my converters, thank you very much, Avid.

Last edited by fazealigned; 9th May 2015 at 07:51 PM..
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

Avid/PT have always done things like that. It wasn't so long ago that you had to use their audio interfaces to use PT...
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
It wasn't so long ago that you had to use their audio interfaces to use PT...
Somehow I find that less obnoxious.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazealigned View Post
So having heard that PT has VU metering I thought "cool."
Have you considered a plugin like:

VUMT

I don't use VU meters but I love their other plugins!
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEngineer View Post
Have you considered a plugin like:

VUMT

I don't use VU meters but I love their other plugins!
Yep, I’m using PSP’s Triple Meters! (Love Klanghelm’s stuff though.)

It’s ok but it’s not the same as having it right there in the channel strip. I’ve even considered getting a small 8" USB monitor just to have the meters on, kind of Studer-style.

I find RMS and VU metering so much more useful than peak metering, especially when the whole virtual signal chain is emulating analog gear.
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazealigned View Post
So I’m actually looking into... well, that's a strong wording... considering looking in the general direction of Pro Tools, for the built-in metering. I started out on Cubase and have used Logic Pro exclusively since version 8. I have no complaints about Logic other than the impossibility to get in touch with support and the relatively slow pace of development, both of which are only theoretical quibbles.

But man, I would really like to have proper metering.

So having heard that PT has VU metering I thought "cool." Turns out, PT HD has VU metering but not regular plain PT? Or, sorry, Pro Tools | HD and not Pro Tools | Software (blech...) Like seriously, wtf is up with that? Why do you need HD hardware to see a different kind of meter? Is that still the case in 12?

Am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous to so transparently cripple software to force people to buy hardware they don't need? I’m perfectly happy with my converters, thank you very much, Avid.
It's about a $4k upgrade to HD just to get a surround panner... don't feel bad... Digidesign has always been about bleeding people for features that are stock on other platforms.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars View Post
Digidesign has always been about bleeding people for features that are stock on other platforms.
Is built-in RMS/VU metering stock on any other platform?

Even if it’s not, I think I get your drift. Shame, looked like they were becoming reasonable with 12, but I guess same old.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search