The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Macbook Pro
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

Macbook Pro

I have been searching and researching macbook pros and I don't want a brand new mac, looking between 2012-2013 i7 models.
The must haves list:
15" Display
I7 Quad Processor
16 gigs ram
2 - internal SSD'S
Thunderbolt and FW800
USB 3
Wifi
Bluetooth

I might go thunderbolt all the way and drop the firewire, depends on if macbook pro is really that much faster/better. I have a firewire port on the pa and a thunderbolt interface.

The questions:
Can you run a DAW off a flash storage drive?

Can you install dual SSD Drives in the flash storage models?

I was reading about crazy loud fan noise, is there an after market option for quieter fans?

I will be programming VI'S for live performance, I do this with my mac mini i7 quad 2.3, 16 gigs, so I know the power is there, just concerned about the fan noise, overheating issues. Any other issues to be concerned about?

Can you recommend me a solid 2012/2013 model that is proven/best model for me? There are so many different models, early/mid/late...I need a chart with the info of what changed from model to model, so I can get what I want.
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

A fully loaded 2013 Mac Pro should is just as powerful as current computers, so it's more than powerful enough to handle audio. I rarely ever hear my fan... if you're not maxing out the CPU and you're keeping it well ventilated, you won't hear it running at all. The fan can be loud if it's on full blast, but as I said, if it's well ventilated and you're not maxing the system out, it shouldn't need to run often. I doubt you'll be maxing it out just tracking, and if it's mix time, it shouldn't be noticeable if you're listening to the music.

If you get an SSD model, the hard drive is very fast...but can potentially run into issues if your operating system and write directory are on the same drive, but that depends on a lot of different things.... I wouldn't buy another hard drive until I was sure it's necessary. You would have to get an external drive though, I don't think it's possible to have two internal hard drives in the MacPro.

Last edited by Tangible; 9th May 2015 at 03:18 PM..
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

I am running MacBook, mid 2012, 2.6 Ghz, Quad Core i7, 8GB Ram, SSD. Works great. I did a test in Logic X to see when will CPU hit the ceiling and I don't know how many plugins and instruments I put but it was enormous number and CPU didn't reached half of a bar. With Metric Halo ULN-2 interface I get around 2ms latency (I forgot precise) on 32 buffer. Macbook had Toshiba HDD 5400RPM intern when I bought it and it became way faster with SSD. It needs about 6 seconds to boot and 2 seconds to shut down. Big sessions are also loading in about 10 seconds. I feel freedom.
There is an option to put second hard drive in place of optical drive , it's called optibay or disk caddy but I heard that, and my logic is saying, there can be heating problems with that setup. USB 3.0 is really fast and I am about to record on external disk and some stuff on internal SSD so I'll see if there will be some problems with that. So far, my experience is that I was recording two tracks on Hackintosh from 2005 (dual core, 2GB Ram...) with USB 2.0 external HDD and I had no problems.
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks guys for your input.
Old 13th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szmola View Post
I am running MacBook, mid 2012, 2.6 Ghz, Quad Core i7, 8GB Ram, SSD. Works great. I did a test in Logic X to see when will CPU hit the ceiling and I don't know how many plugins and instruments I put but it was enormous number and CPU didn't reached half of a bar. With Metric Halo ULN-2 interface I get around 2ms latency (I forgot precise) on 32 buffer. Macbook had Toshiba HDD 5400RPM intern when I bought it and it became way faster with SSD. It needs about 6 seconds to boot and 2 seconds to shut down. Big sessions are also loading in about 10 seconds. I feel freedom.
There is an option to put second hard drive in place of optical drive , it's called optibay or disk caddy but I heard that, and my logic is saying, there can be heating problems with that setup. USB 3.0 is really fast and I am about to record on external disk and some stuff on internal SSD so I'll see if there will be some problems with that. So far, my experience is that I was recording two tracks on Hackintosh from 2005 (dual core, 2GB Ram...) with USB 2.0 external HDD and I had no problems.
Curious: What Mac OS are you currently using?
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmarano View Post
Curious: What Mac OS are you currently using?
Mavericks 10.9.5
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear
Im running a macbook 2013 retina and 30 I/O rme interface. Its rock solid and i have never hear fan noise but there is a lot of heat on the base. Fully recommend it
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitfiddle View Post
Thanks guys for your input.
If you're not already... Just keep checking back here: Macstore: Refurbs

I just picked up a stonking mid-2012 15" 2.3 i7 for $1099.00. (I had a mac mini running this previously and I never maxed it out so personally felt safe with 2.3Ghz)

Honestly the thing looks and feels brand new. Sure I gotta pop more RAM into it (only came with 4GB) and I'll throw in my own SSD but for the price and peace of mind it is so worth it - Still deciding on the removing the DVD/adding a disc caddy route...

No eBay or Craigslist stress and it comes with a one year warranty as well!

R.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search