The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your WORKING Access Virus Snow TI Set up Desktop Synthesizers
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Your WORKING Access Virus Snow TI Set up

Hello everyone!

Rather than tell you about my horror story trying to get my Access Virus TI Snow to actually work in a stable manner with my computer setup (2013 iMac i7 3.5 Ghz w/32gb ram + apogee duet)... I want to ask you for some more practical advice as I am almost certain this problem will not be solved with my current setup.

My question is this: what is your flawlessly working setup?
I am hoping that someone here can tell me their setup which allows you to make music with Logic X, Access Virus, and maybe if you have it East West Orchestra... I am hoping to buy a new Mac Pro, but would want to ensure that your Access Virus likes your Mac Pro and vice versa. I really love Logic X, and would prefer to stick with it, but I just want a powerful 4-core i7 computer with 32gb ram working with an Access Virus. That is all I want. So simple... or is it?

If you could please tell me your specs, what exact model computer you have, and your audio interface, that would be awesome.

The reason I am asking this is hopefully to save myself time, since I don't want to go out and buy something only to find out there are more problems and more troubleshooting...

If you would like to see the exact problem I am having out of curiosity sake, it's exactly the same as studiomood's original post:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...-root-hub.html

Apparently a LOT of people seem to be having the same issue. Access Virus Totally Integrated: Such a sad name to me right now because I cannot access my virus which is totally not integrating at all. :(
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac

I had a hard time too and found it always just sitting off to the side, so I sold it. I regret it though, I'm going to buy one back and just record it as audio if I have to.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Comeback Kid View Post
I had a hard time too and found it always just sitting off to the side, so I sold it. I regret it though, I'm going to buy one back and just record it as audio if I have to.
Amazingly enough, I just tried that. I went to the store, returned my Virus, exchanged for a new one, along with midi cables (via usb though...) and audio out. Same problems!

I think it might have to do with the MIDI data and USB rather than the audio itself now...

The Virus reaaaally doesn't like USB. I have no way to connect midi to my computer without the USB, so I dunno... am at a total loss here.

Last edited by Brento; 9th May 2015 at 10:37 PM..
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

If I were you I would buy one of the cheap USB MIDI interfaces....like this:

Roland UM-ONE | Sweetwater.com

And run the Snow via the MIDI port....not the USB. Run audio via 1/4" cables. Record all output as audio. Treat the synth like a traditional one and forget that TI ever existed.

When I had a Snow I was forced to just record it as audio. I never read of anyone who had the TI aspect working flawlessly.

Sorry. It is a great synth....but TI needs an overhaul and it seems ridiculous that Access have had this thing out so long without addressing this problem (I owned my Snow in 2012).

Best of luck.
Old 10th May 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Comeback Kid View Post
Exactly what happened to me. Except i didn't buy another one. I loved the sound of that thing but what good is it if it isn't workable?

Its crazy how bad the total disintergration thing works. Still waiting for Access to get there head out of their asses and just make it a plug in already.
Old 10th May 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
If I were you I would buy one of the cheap USB MIDI interfaces....like this:

Roland UM-ONE | Sweetwater.com

And run the Snow via the MIDI port....not the USB. Run audio via 1/4" cables. Record all output as audio. Treat the synth like a traditional one and forget that TI ever existed.
That's good advice. I recently bought a UM-ONE and it works great with my MBA and Mavericks.

I have a Virus b... Controlled via Midi, analogue outs, no issues. If I had to choose between all of my synths including Diva and LuSH-101, it would still be the Virus.
Old 10th May 2015
mac mini 2012, latest mac os x, rme fireface 400, logic pro x ora ableton live 9 or reaper 4, virus ti snow plugged in directly into one of the usb 3.0 ports. no issues at all. even before i had one plugged into my imac 2010 before i sold it and it was ok. though like the others i prefer to use usb as midi only cause sometimes you get timing issues and audio clipping when using it for audio also.
Old 12th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Hmmm... yeah, the reason I got it was really so that I could use the Total Integration. That's what Access boasts as the big draw to the synth... I mean, "TI" is in the name. So using audio cables and MIDI might be a bit of a fix, but I am afraid it's not enough for me.

Actually, what happened was I went to Tom Lee to pick up a second Virus TI Snow. This time I bought audio cables and a MIDI to USB thingy. But I still had weird problems that shouldn't have existed. It was just unstable. I don't really understand why, as it was not using the Total Integration software. I tried rebooting my computer, the system, trying new USB ports. After a while, I just got frustrated and gave up. It didn't make any sense. I thought the problem was this whole time with the TI. But... maybe the USB on my computer just doesn't like the Virus or something? I know that my iMac had serious issues with the Apogee Duet, but Apogee was awesome and quickly released firmware to solve this issue. It was due to some kind of bus system on the newer iMacs, and how data flows through USB. Apparently Access needs to hire those guys...

I know that there are people out there who love the Virus and who have it work perfectly.

With computers being quite cheap these days, part of me wonders if I should go out and buy a Hackintosh, get it up and running. Try out the TI on it. If it doesn't work, oh well, I have an awesome Hackintosh. If it doesn, then great. I know it's extreme, but I really wanted to use the Virus.

It's my little fantasy that tomorrow, Access will release a Thunderbolt Access Virus TI Snow Mark 2 with up to 500 voices. Keep dreamin.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search