The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Decent Converter for $2500?
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac
Decent Converter for $2500?

I'm looking for a decent adda converter for around $2500-$3000
any suggestions?
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

Mytek 8x192 ADDA $3k. excellent...
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

Depending on how many channels you want that is a pretty open ended question. The Antelope Orion gives you 32 channels of AD/DA conversion at 192k 24bit. Can work over USB or MADI.
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

How do you need to connect? How many channels? Are you looking for standalone conversion, or something that interfaces with your computer? Thunderbolt, Pcie, MADI, AES/EBU, adat, firewire, usb?
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac
Firewire

Firewire
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubercraft View Post
I'm looking for a decent adda converter for around $2500-$3000
any suggestions?
how many channels?
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac
8 Channels

8 Channels
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Nut

Metric Halo has their annual sale on right now.
Old 9th May 2015
Here for the gear

look at MOTU's new boxes. same chips as the Apogee Symphony for DA on the 16a, 1248, 24ao. thunderbolt, AVB (ethernet), or usb, and expandable. also, you can get two of them for that price.
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

No brainer man. Prism Orpheus in GS for $2400, FireWire. Seriously.

Prism Sound Orpheus
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Network Noise View Post
look at MOTU's new boxes. same chips as the Apogee Symphony for DA on the 16a, 1248, 24ao. thunderbolt, AVB (ethernet), or usb, and expandable. also, you can get two of them for that price.
I don't think the MOTU is in the same league as the other suggestions here. There is a reason it's half the price. It takes far more than chips to make a superior product.
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt. Has very good conversion not quit Symphony level , close though. It does tick the 8 ins and outs along with line inserts on the 1st two inputs, mic pres on all 8 channels that can be switched out to line level. Plus 2 Guitar line level inputs and returns for reamping. Along with talkback mic and dual headphone outs.
Pretty much a complete solution that if you cannot record a great record on its not its fault but the users.

I do not work for Apogee but appreciate good gear when I see it and use it.
Old 9th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
I don't think the MOTU is in the same league as the other suggestions here. There is a reason it's half the price. It takes far more than chips to make a superior product.
suit yourself. i would have agreed with you on their previous models, but the latest offerings are far and above those. do a little research before you discount them. i have to admit when i was recommended those units i also had the same reaction as you.
Old 9th May 2015
Quote:
The MOTU 16a really holds its own against the Symphony. It slays both the Aurora and the Apollo, and I don't make any worse mixes or less money owning it.
Old 9th May 2015
Quote:
Based both upon cost and personal experience, MOTU is definitely not high-end and certainly not in the same league. And I've love to understand how it "slays" the Aurora.
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

Guys, @ hubercraft said he needs minimum 8 channels and firewire. Not thunderbolt, not AVB, not usb. All these suggestions of thunderbolt interfaces are pointless if he has an older mac pro or a PC.

For MOTU - that would leave only the MOTU firewire interfaces in that category - Traveler-mk3, etc. - MOTU.com - Products (under firewire/usb)

Another option - Lynx Aurora 8 with LTFW - Lynx LT-FW

I've owned and used extensively Motu 2408 MK3 units, Lynx Aurora 16's, and the Motu Traveler (currently using Burl, SPL and Lynx Hilo).

The lynx units don't suck, and the Motu's can easily get the job done.

Other option would be UA Apollo firewire.

RME Fireface 800 (would prob. need to buy used) is well within budget. - Decent Converter for 00?http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...e+800&_sacat=0

All of these are suitable options within hubercraft's specifications.
Old 10th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit View Post
Based both upon cost and personal experience, MOTU is definitely not high-end and certainly not in the same league. And I've love to understand how it "slays" the Aurora.
Is your personal experience based off of the latest MOTU interfaces? Everyone is in unanimous agreement that old MOTU gear was terrible, but right now, I'm talking about the 16a, 1248, etc... series of MOTU gear.

When shopping for an interface to replace my modded 002, I got an Apollo 1st gen, an Aurora, and a Symphony. With them, I tracked the same things, vocals and drums. The Symphony won. It was indistinguishable from my modded 002. The Aurora was boring, but boring isn't bad! In fact I used it to do the final drum takes on the album I worked on. The Apollo was the one my mind prepped to win. And just like anyone on this board, when we start to think something is awesome, our brain makes it so. But that was not the case. When I hit play it instantly let me down. It was the first time I ever actually instantly noticed a difference in sound quality. So hollow and wide, like I applied an aural exciter on my output. I boxed it up and sent it back. I almost bought the Aurora, but like the symphony, it's new price wasn't cutting it for me.

Then along comes the MOTU. Same chips as a symphony and Thunderbolt eh? But chips don't make a converter, we all know that. Nulls to -77 with a Symphony when clocked with a BLA clock. Hmm. Say what you will (and all of you will say it) but numbers don't lie. They can't. Science is science. Still I have no way of testing this thing cause it's SO new. What do I do? I think hard. I really want just conversion with no pesky pres, and yes I want Thunderbolt.

I pull the trigger. I'm making the best mixes yet, my gear is rock solid, and my pres all have a conversion home!! And I can mix with more outboard. All for a third of what I would have spent on a Symphony.

The thing sounds good, don't doubt it till you've tried it, and boy I've tried it.

To the OP. If you're looking for a killer 8ch interface with FireWire, I have a signature modded 002 I'll let go of for $700 U.S. Don't doubt it, the thing is amazing, just not for me anymore.
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Guys, @ hubercraft said he needs minimum 8 channels and firewire. Not thunderbolt, not AVB, not usb. All these suggestions of thunderbolt interfaces are pointless if he has an older mac pro or a PC.

For MOTU - that would leave only the MOTU firewire interfaces in that category - Traveler-mk3, etc. - MOTU.com - Products (under firewire/usb)

Another option - Lynx Aurora 8 with LTFW - Lynx LT-FW

I've owned and used extensively Motu 2408 MK3 units, Lynx Aurora 16's, and the Motu Traveler (currently using Burl, SPL and Lynx Hilo).

The lynx units don't suck, and the Motu's can easily get the job done.

Other option would be UA Apollo firewire.

RME Fireface 800 (would prob. need to buy used) is well within budget. - Decent Converter for 00?rme fireface 800 | eBay

All of these are suitable options within hubercraft's specifications.
Mytek also has firewire option, and converts to firewire are available for others as well.
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
To the OP. If you're looking for a killer 8ch interface with FireWire, I have a signature modded 002 I'll let go of for $700 U.S. Don't doubt it, the thing is amazing, just not for me anymore.
Curious what made you want to move on from the modded 002R. Which mod does it have? I use the BLA Signature mod 002R myself and love it.
Old 10th May 2015
Quote:
Curious what made you want to move on from the modded 002R. Which mod does it have? I use the BLA Signature mod 002R myself and love it.
It was a Signature modded 002r as well, with an even heftier powersupply. For one, my insert capabilities were limited with the four preamps in my path. Two FireWire is a dying limited tech. Three, I didn't wanna have two different types of conversion just to track a drum kit. Four, even with the ADAT piece, I'm always limited to 48k (not that I work above it, but I'd have no way to if I did). Five, the MOTU sounds incredible. It hasn't made me miss the 002 one bit. It's still full and open, and really sturdy driver wise. It's so plug and play, and I have 16 direct I/O to have fun with at all times.

All and all, it just seemed like the right thing to do for my business!
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

Used symphony 8x8 for 2k imo, even has a monitor controller built in.
Old 11th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
It was a Signature modded 002r as well, with an even heftier powersupply. For one, my insert capabilities were limited with the four preamps in my path. Two FireWire is a dying limited tech. Three, I didn't wanna have two different types of conversion just to track a drum kit. Four, even with the ADAT piece, I'm always limited to 48k (not that I work above it, but I'd have no way to if I did). Five, the MOTU sounds incredible. It hasn't made me miss the 002 one bit. It's still full and open, and really sturdy driver wise. It's so plug and play, and I have 16 direct I/O to have fun with at all times.

All and all, it just seemed like the right thing to do for my business!
makes sense... not challenging your choice... just wondering what your version of the story was...
Old 11th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana
Nulls to -77 with a Symphony when clocked with a BLA clock.
I'm a 1248 user myself. I've been considering pairing with an Antelope external clock. I didn't even consider BLA and with the coming micro clock mk3, this may be a winner. How much difference would you say the clock made to your setup? Any null stats comparing to the Symphony using the internal MOTU clock?
Old 14th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by duo jet View Post
Metric Halo has their annual sale on right now.
+1. The LIO-8 would be perfect.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search