The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass player looking for some community advice please... Studio Monitors
Old 8th May 2015
Here for the gear

Bass player looking for some community advice please...

Hi guys!

I'm looking to put together a home setup and would greatly appreciate feedback on any of the following areas! I have recording experience, but I;ve never stepped out to do it on my own.

Starting out... I'm looking to track bass guitar and keybass with a basic home studio that could be portable. Future - creating tracks with mostly midi based instruments, samples and live instruments. King Korg synth can serve as a midi controller. Apollo Twin Solo as an interface. Mac Mini 2.8GHz Dual-Core Intel i5 (8gig RAM, 1TB Fusion, Thunderbolt 2)

Looking to add studio monitors in the future. Would use headphones at first. Bass would plug straight into the Apollo. Could use Aguilar DI if needed. Using Cubase Artist 8 as DAW.

Thank you so much!!!
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

If you can up the ram in the mini if it allows. Shouldn't cost too much if 3rd party. I'd also get a usb3 or external TB drive to use as storage. Otherwise you are on the right track to get started, but soon you will need some monitors since you shouldn't rely on just headphones for mixing so much.
Old 8th May 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Yup, neutral-sounding monitors are essential.
Old 9th May 2015
Here for the gear

Thank you!

Thank you xgman & Tui! I really appreciate the feedback! It means a lot! I'm very excited about getting started and wanted some knowledgeable advice to make sure I'm headed in the right direction.
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

Recording bass is quite an expensive task.
You will need the best components money can buy.
From room acoustics to DIs , hardware compressors,preamps , AD/DAs,
to monitoring.
Best practice as a bass player is to buy the best sounding euipment for the stage and make recording engineers worry how to make you sound better with their expensive gear.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman95 View Post
Hi guys!

I'm looking to put together a home setup and would greatly appreciate feedback on any of the following areas! I have recording experience, but I;ve never stepped out to do it on my own.

Starting out... I'm looking to track bass guitar and keybass with a basic home studio that could be portable. Future - creating tracks with mostly midi based instruments, samples and live instruments. King Korg synth can serve as a midi controller. Apollo Twin Solo as an interface. Mac Mini 2.8GHz Dual-Core Intel i5 (8gig RAM, 1TB Fusion, Thunderbolt 2)

Looking to add studio monitors in the future. Would use headphones at first. Bass would plug straight into the Apollo. Could use Aguilar DI if needed. Using Cubase Artist 8 as DAW.

Thank you so much!!!
Hey,

I'll offer my 2pence. So first things first, the cost. It's not going to be cheap but reading your list there's definitely a couple questions that you should ask your self. Because there's no reasons to pay $$$$ on equipment that you may not use fully. First question, do you really need an i/0 for that kind of money? Can you see your self using ALL its features and inputs for recording something? If not then you might want to look a smaller alternative and use the money saved to buy something that will benefit you, like a nice mic-pre.

* Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 £223 (has midi in/out)
* Warm Audio Tone Beast £502
* Warm Audio WA12 £341

Next thing is your mac. To put it bluntly 8gig is not going to be enough if you're looking at using lots of VST librays. 16 gig should be the minimum.As for monitor speakers, everyone has their own preference and before spending $$$$ on something you need to consider your situation. How acoustically treated is your room? How big is it? etc.. There is NO point getting an expensive set of monitor speakers if you don't have the right environment to put them in. Besides if you're thinking of traveling around Id go for something smaller like Yamaha HS5 or HS7 speakers.

I bought pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors for my home studio yesterday over the HS8 and couldn't be happier. Why did I choose the former? My room is medium/small, and slightly treated. I didn't need the extra wattage to listen to things louder, so I saved money and went for a smaller option.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little.. My 2 Pence.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Recording is quite an expensive task.
Fixed that for you.

Quote:
Best practice as a bass player is to buy the best sounding euipment for the stage and make recording engineers worry how to make you sound better with their expensive gear.
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I find bass to be one of the easier things to record. For me, a good bass into a SansAmp into a good preamp is all I need. If I can't get exactly what I want from that, I can always get there by further sweetening it in the DAW with plugins like Decapitator and Bass Amp Room. Last time I put a mic on a bass cab was...2005, maybe?

For the SansAmp, it's going to be the Bass Driver DI for modern tones, or the VT Bass DI if I need old school, rounder tones.

And, I pretty much do the same thing live. On bigger shows, when I know there will be a good PA, I don't even use a head/cab anymore. I get a great tone for front-of-house with no fuss, and everything I need volume-wise is in my in-ear monitors. I only break out the amp rig for small rooms where bass won't be in the PA.

I've had both FOH and studio engineers tell me my tone is great, so I feel pretty confident in this approach. I'll be damned if I'm going to lug around a tube head and an 8x10 cab. No doubt it sounds good, but that ****'s for people who have roadies.
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Recording bass is quite an expensive task.
You will need the best components money can buy.
From room acoustics to DIs , hardware compressors,preamps , AD/DAs,
to monitoring.
I get great sounding bass tracks by going DI into my $200 interface with my $300 bass.

There is nothing punchier and huger sounding than pure clean digital sound.
Old 9th May 2015
I would look at getting a good DI box. I use an Avalon U5 and split the signal into a Sansamp. The Sansamp (distorted) gets low passed and the clean track gets high passed. REDDI are also very popular D.I.s.

To hear what's going on in the low end, you're going to need a sub or good monitors. You're also going to need some treatment in your room.

A few things to consider.
Old 9th May 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTinkle View Post
... if you're thinking of traveling around Id go for something smaller like Yamaha HS5 or HS7 speakers.
Good choice.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search