The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD: Which of the upgrades are actually worth it? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac

UAD: Which of the upgrades are actually worth it?

UA upgrades old plugins after about 10 years, and charges more for the upgrades than the plugins cost in the first place. Go figure.

Basically, I have to buy them all over again.

Anyways, I'm wondering about the LA-2A, 1176, 88RS, Pultec & Fairchild - all plugins that have been upgraded.

Which of the upgrades are actually worth it? To upgrade all my plugins, I'm looking at around $600, which I just can't stomach. I wouldn't mind upgrading one or two of them if there is a big difference.
Old 8th May 2015
I use the upgraded Fairchild and LA2A a lot, those two are definitely worth it! These two sound different to the originals for sure. The 88RS should be a very clean console, so not sure how big the upgrade can be, but I've been using the legacy plug a lot, so maybe it's worth it if I get some coupons at some time.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

I have no regrets about upgrading.

I too was worried about laying the dough, worried that I'd feel like it was only a little better.

I'm very happy with the new versions.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear
I agree with the previous post. I upgraded the Fairchild, and its much better. I also agree about the LA2A series. I haven't upgraded yet (waiting for a sale price or coupon), but I did the two week demo, they are very good.

I'm not very discriminating when it comes to 1176 type compressors, so I have no desire to pay for the upgrade. I would feel that way even if they sound identical to the hardware units. I'm happy to use 1176 style plugins that sound "close", no need to be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactac View Post
UA upgrades old plugins after about 10 years, and charges more for the upgrades than the plugins cost in the first place. Go figure.

Basically, I have to buy them all over again.

Anyways, I'm wondering about the LA-2A, 1176, 88RS, Pultec & Fairchild - all plugins that have been upgraded.

Which of the upgrades are actually worth it? To upgrade all my plugins, I'm looking at around $600, which I just can't stomach. I wouldn't mind upgrading one or two of them if there is a big difference.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Perhaps you should demo the plugins and see for yourself.
Old 8th May 2015

Absolutely worth it with the mkII 1176, LA-2A, Pultec and 660/670. The best emulations out there. Remember you get 11 plugins with these 4 collections. There is an Analog Classics Pro bundle for a fair price.

I haven't demoed the new 88RS yet, but if it is faithful to the actual console, it will be clean but still have a magic warm light on the midrange. Classy. This is Neve's best sounding console of all time IMO. I have rough mixes of a record I will be mixing soon, about half of the tunes recorded on a big ass 88RS and the roughs just sounds magical already. Clean and vibey. What a lovely color.
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
I have no regrets about upgrading.

I too was worried about laying the dough, worried that I'd feel like it was only a little better.

I'm very happy with the new versions.
Which one did you think was the biggest upgrade?
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Hey. Great question. I did the classics bundle and the Fairchild, and I have to say, they are all such workhorses.

But if I had to put them in order of how frequently I use them...

La2a (probably because I always seem to like it on vocals)
1176 (either as parallel squishing, or sometimes with a fast attack on something that needs to be whacked down)
Fairchild (single tracks or groups that just need to sound bigger)
Pultec (still getting to know when and where I like this)

That said, when I do use the Fairchild on the right thing that needs it, I am so happy with the sound it gives me.

FWIW, I am not running a studio, I am writing, recording and mixing my band's music. I work in Logic Pro X and because of the style of music I do, the only 3rd-party plug-ins I use are UAD.

J

Quote:
Which one did you think was the biggest upgrade?
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey. Great question. I did the classics bundle and the Fairchild, and I have to say, they are all such workhorses.

But if I had to put them in order of how frequently I use them...

1176 (either as parallel squishing, or sometimes with a fast attack on something that needs to be whacked down)
Fairchild (single tracks or groups that just need to sound bigger)

That said, when I do use the Fairchild on the right thing that needs it, I am so happy with the sound it gives me.

FWIW, I am not running a studio, I am writing, recording and mixing my band's music. I work in Logic Pro X and because of the style of music I do, the only 3rd-party plug-ins I use are UAD.

J
Thanks very much. I actually own the "legacy" versions of those plugins, use them all the time, and wondered which ones had the biggest jump in quality with the new versions.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

I'm afraid I don't really remember on a per-model basis how big a jump happened.

Wish I could offer more specificity.

They all just seemed to cross some weird invisible line where they didn't sound like plugins to me anymore.

And by that I mean, prior version of the plugs (and many other colorful plugs in general) often felt like a trade-off to me... they added something useful, but I always felt they were also taking something away.

This new generation, I mostly just feel like they're adding.

At least, that's my take.

J

Quote:
Thanks very much. I actually own the "legacy" versions of those plugins, use them all the time, and wondered which ones had the biggest jump in quality with the new versions.
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac

The LA2A is currently on offer and I have a $50 voucher. I'm very tempted. Currently have the legacy version.

But....I also have the Waves version. How do they compare?
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

To the op. What kind of card or cards do you have. The MKII upgrades are generally a little hungrier than the legacy. I'm just going to demo the new 88rs this morning, but have heard that needs some power. Also most of the MarkII upgrades have been a pretty big improvement over the originals.
L.
Old 8th May 2015
Deleted User
Buy them this month, 30% off, price won't go lower.
Old 8th May 2015
joh
Gear Maniac

Quote:

J
Haven´t tried the Fairchild, but those above are amazing !
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
To the op. What kind of card or cards do you have. The MKII upgrades are generally a little hungrier than the legacy. I'm just going to demo the new 88rs this morning, but have heard that needs some power. Also most of the MarkII upgrades have been a pretty big improvement over the originals.
L.
I have an apollo quad and a UAD2 Quad in my computer.

I've noticed that all the new plugins are really hungry!
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Oh. See, I don't think I understand their pricing. I thought that I saw lower prices because I already had the legacy versions, not because they are on sale.

I see a price of $149 for the 1176 (reg $299). Is that a sale price, or a reduced price because it's an upgrade... or is it both - ie an upgrade price with an additional 30% off?

For example, if I want until next month, would I pay $149, or $299, or something else?
Old 8th May 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Oh. See, I don't think I understand their pricing. I thought that I saw lower prices because I already had the legacy versions, not because they are on sale.

I see a price of $149 for the 1176 (reg $299). Is that a sale price, or a reduced price because it's an upgrade... or is it both - ie an upgrade price with an additional 30% off?

For example, if I want until next month, would I pay $149, or $299, or something else?
$149 is the permanent upgrade price. Should be an additional 30% off this month when buying 3 or more plugins. (20% for 2). If you only need one and can afford to be patient, the best price you can get after combining sales and monthly coupons is about $75-100.

If you happen to need more DSP, the next two months are the best time for that. A $1500 Octo gets you about $1000 in plugin coupons.
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
$149 is the permanent upgrade price. Should be an additional 30% off this month when buying 3 or more plugins. (20% for 2). If you only need one and can afford to be patient, the best price you can get after combining sales and monthly coupons is about $75-100.

If you happen to need more DSP, the next two months are the best time for that. A $1500 Octo gets you about $1000 in plugin coupons.
I can't find where they reference the 30% discount - is this on the site anywhere?
Old 8th May 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
I can't find where they reference the 30% discount - is this on the site anywhere?
Yeah unlike usually when they run this sale, they are apparently keeping it secret this month! Add them to your cart and see if it works.
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah unlike usually when they run this sale, they are apparently keeping it secret this month! Add them to your cart and see if it works.
Well waddaya know, it works!

So, it's actually cheaper to buy them all separately than to buy the analogue classics bundle that contains all 3.
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
You may be able to get them cheaper during the summer and winter sales.

UA sometimes will drop you a coupon around sales time.
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

You need to be patient and watch for the big sales promos. June & December usually have the biggest discounts. If you already have the LA2A,1176 & Pultec you can upgrade all three via the Analog Classics upgrade bundle for $399. Last December that bundle was going for $299. Throw in a $25 or $50 coupon that UA tends to give out quite frequently and you could have saved even more. I have all (4) MKII upgrades (LA2a,1176,Pultec & Fairchild collections) and would highly recommend to any serious UAD user. UA put a lot of time & effort in updating decade plus algos with the current end to end modeling techniques & SHARC DSP's to provide the best authentic replicas available. Also, some very nice artist presets as well. Worth every penny IMO!

I am hoping for more MKII's...............a DBX 16x and/or LA3A/4A collection would be nice!

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search