The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Better performance out of one CPU?
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Head

Better performance out of one CPU?

Good evening Gearslutz.

I have a question for the technical masters on this website, maybe they (you) can help me.

I currently run on a Dell Precision T7500 workstation with dual x5675 CPU's. 12gb of ram on each CPU. Windows 7 professional 64bit.

I love this workstation. I actually purchased this a few months ago off of ebay for very, very cheap. I came from an i5 2500k (not overclocked) PC that I built. I used my LS56 audio interface with the I5 2500k because I could not use my 1820m pci audio interface. Well this Dell allows me to do because of the CPU change and I never knew how much I missed that sound. I know people say that you can't really tell a difference between audio interfaces these days but I can tell a difference between these two. It also comes with performance benefits coming from the I5 2500k and firewire, to now being on the PCI bus.

Well my problem, question, is this. I have a large project running in Cubase 8 with MANY MANY VST EFFECTS that all run off of the CPU's. No DSP whatsoever. My VST performance meter (average load) hovers around 3/4 of the way with no pops but my "real time peak" meter is bouncing near the max. I assumed it was my Old audio interface causing the bottleneck somewhere.

Well, just playing around one day, I pulled the 2nd CPU riser out and ran the workstation with one CPU. I opened that project and both the VST average and real time load hovered steadily around 50%.

Can someone explain this? Is there a reason for this? Where is the bottleneck? Why do I get more performance out of one CPU?

If you need more specs let me know. I do have PCI-e cards installed also (boot drive, usb 3.0).

Thanks in advance
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Head

Well, for the time being, I just pulled out the 2nd CPU. I mean, not only do I get a performance boost in Cubase 8, but I also use less power

I was just hoping someone had a possible answer or "tweak" I could do to the system. No big deal though.

thanks
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear
Are all cores getting used and balanced in Cubase?
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear
Precisely. Somewhere there's a tick box in performance or options or some such for multithreading.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Are all cores getting used and balanced in Cubase?

I believe so. I did use the "UNPARK" registry edit trick to unlock all cores, but I think I found the problem........

I thought I had tweaked everything but I didn't. It turns out that I still had hardware Prefetch and Hyperthreading on in the Bios. I turned those off and now that same project is sitting just past 1/4 on both meters........ with a lower latency. Input of 4.xxx output of 3.xxx. Needless to say I'm very happy.

I have 102 vst's running right (Waves, Slate Digital, some J-bridged 32it plugins as well) and it isn't breaking a sweat. I wish I had rechecked the bios to begin with.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Guru

I'm having a hard time seeing how one could be categorically better than two. I retired my Dell 690 with dual Xeon X5350's a year or two ago, and it never broke a sweat as far as CPU is concerned. I'm pretty sure the old ProTools tweaks advice included disabling hardware prefetch.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search