The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What computer monitor do you use?
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Head

What computer monitor do you use?

I am one of those people who only has a laptop to do my mixing on, and it is so small it's rather annoying. So i plan to eventually buy a nice computer monitor to plug my laptop into and use that instead.

So if you have a nice monitor or perhaps use 2 for twice the functionality, let me know what you're using if you recommend it.
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Nut
I use a Dell ultrasharp 27" IPS 1440P Monitor, it's great for music production. good real estate on the screen.
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

As I use Cubase Pro 8 I have two 24" Dell U2414H monitors.

They are flicker free and really superb, with an ultra thin bezel.

I have one in front of me at arms length (for the arrange window) and one to my left hand side also at arms length on which I put the Cubase mixer - it's a very efficient way of getting
a lot of screen real estate and also by careful placement a minimal amount of sonic interference.
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Head
I just recently bought an Eizo 27" 1440p monitor and I'm highly satisfied with it.
27" - 1440p has indeed a nice amount of screen real estate while text and stuff is still not too small (like on 4k monitors, without scaling).
Of course, a dual monitor setup would give you a lot of real estate as well, but you need to have the physical space for 2 displays.
Old 7th May 2015
I use three 24" LG wide screen monitors among three DAW's ... two monitors are connected to my main audio DAW directly, and one is shared by a KVM switch between two other DAW's used as VSTi slaves. Whichever size used, I highly recommend wide screens. I'm actually considering a video matrix switch, so I'll be able to switch any monitors among any DAW's any way as I choose.
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

HP 27xi here. Was the least expensive, good quality 27" LED monitor that had a glossy screen. Feels like I'm looking at an Apple Cinema display, but for a quarter the price. With the silver base option, it looks like one too.

Have never met a matte screen that I liked. Ever.
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Dell 2713hm, lots of realestate and not glossy. Love it !
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
HP 27xi here. Was the least expensive, good quality 27" LED monitor that had a glossy screen. Feels like I'm looking at an Apple Cinema display, but for a quarter the price. With the silver base option, it looks like one too.

Have never met a matte screen that I liked. Ever.
Funny, for me it is the exact opposite, as I hate glossy screens. My HP 27" 1440p display looks awesome in my opinion, vivid colours, wide viewing angle and very little backlight bleeding, way less than my previous displays.

1440p on 27" is, for me, the perfect combination.. Lots of screen real estate, but not to small to read. I have been thinking about going to 4K but I would need a 40" display to have the same pixel size.. But 40" is way to big for my place.
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

I'm kinda stuck with my iMac's beautiful 5k retina monitor... I think I it'll have to do.
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
Funny, for me it is the exact opposite, as I hate glossy screens.
Trust me, I know I'm in the minority. I just find that a glass panel glossy screen brings out a richness and depth in the image that I've never seen a matte screen reproduce. I found it had a significant impact when Apple moved to a glass overlay on their macbook pro, imac, and cinema display. The new imac retina is great example of a glossy screen/5K combo, and it's probably the best screen I've ever seen on a computer. I know glare can be an issue ...

Different strokes, I guess.
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Nut

Being the cheap bastard that I am, I looked for deals around black friday. I found a Seiki 40" SE40FY27 1080p LED for $180. Great deal, been working for 6 months without a glitch, but no longer available? I'd check for what people now consider good deals, then I'd read the customer comments on amazon.com or newegg.com.

I go to the FatWallet HotDeals forum to start looking for inexpensive new equipment like this. For example, here are the recent Seiki 'Hot Deals'.

Coupons and Deals that will save you money

I'd never buy something like a hard drive this way. I'd expect high failure rate hard drives to be 'liquidated' in this manner.

Maybe Memorial Day weekend or July 4th would be a good time to look for sales?
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Head

Seems like 27" seems to be everyones preference on average. Does it feel like a pretty good size? About how far do you guys sit from the screen with your 27"s?
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolcam3 View Post
Seems like 27" seems to be everyones preference on average. Does it feel like a pretty good size? About how far do you guys sit from the screen with your 27"s?
Without measuring it exactly I guess the averagy distance is a bit less than one meter (maybe about 80 centimeters).
As I recently upgraded to my current monitor from an 23" 1080p one, I have to say I sometimes tend to sit a bit closer to the display than I used to with the 23".
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Addict

2 24" Samsung monitors
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Asus PB278. Nice. Cheap!
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Is there any chance of LED and LCD monitors becoming less rectangular and more square in the future ? I often wish mine had more height (it's squished like a squashed waveform).
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Yes... but it seem difficult to find a monitor that is NOT a 'widescreen' design :|

I too am looking .... but I'd prefer the height !!

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks!!
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac

I've recently bought the Dell UltraSharp U2415.

It's a 24" monitor, which is perfect for me. Something bigger would be too big because I'm sitting quite close to the screen. The 1920 x 1200 resolution (16:10 aspect ratio) is ideal for DAW use.

The screen also provides a full range of ergonomic adjustments from the stand; you can tilt it, adjust the height, swivel it side to side and rotate it.

I would definitely buy it again
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac

I just picked up a second 22" Samsung monitor so I can put the mixer and plugins on in Ableton....they are so cheap these days, theres no excuse to only use one monitor lol.
Old 8th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolcam3 View Post
I am one of those people who only has a laptop to do my mixing on, and it is so small it's rather annoying. So i plan to eventually buy a nice computer monitor to plug my laptop into and use that instead.

So if you have a nice monitor or perhaps use 2 for twice the functionality, let me know what you're using if you recommend it.
I use this 27" Dell monitor. It is an IPS monitor, has 2560 x 1440 resolution, the image quality is very good and the power consumption is low. Also it is perfect if you want a dual-monitor setup as you can adjust it to 90 degrees.
Old 8th May 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Dell 2713hm, lots of realestate and not glossy. Love it !
Same here.
Old 8th May 2015
I have two 22" 1680x1050 Samsung monitors, but have been thinking to switch to a 42" 4K tv screen. Have anybody used one of these on a PC?
If so, with what graphic card? running at 60Hz?
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

I went and bought a 4k TV running over HDMI, it runs at 60hz just about. Everything is soooooo damn small that I am almost regreting it. But you can fit 4 x 1080p TV screens inside a 4k one. Just make sure that it can do at least 60hz otherwise you will get all sorts of flickering....oh....and renaim the input to "PC" in the settings. This always locks the graphics card output to 1 to 1 ratio on the tv for some reason.

Using the cheapest LG one that I picked up for about £400, graphics card I use a Nvidea GTX970 but then Warthunder at 4k resolution is just disgustingly good as is GTA5. Runs at 60fps at 4k, makes the 720p xbox look really bad.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

40" Flatscreen. Love it.
The plug-ins are so huge they sound analog......
Old 8th May 2015
Here for the gear

I have a 40" Vizio LCD for my main screen, I love having a humongous edit window in PT. I heard a few people complain about height vs width, and the answer to that can be to run an additional monitor in portrait view instead of landscape. In addition to my 40" main monitor I have two ASUS 27" on each side of the main monitor setup in portrait view for a total of three. My workstation looks like the friggin' Starship Enterprise.

Having a monitor setup in portrait view is nice if you have a really tall mix window, like you would see in Pro Tools if you have most of the view options checked off (All inserts, all sends, notes, etc.). My left 27" monitor in portrait view has my mix and video windows, so I never have to toggle back and forth or scroll through them.

The only thing that sucks is that, in portrait view, they aren't very useful for much else than what I do with them in my DAW. Most other apps like browsers, mail apps, etc. don't work very well when having to be resized horizontally to fit on the portrait view monitors. Often times if I'm not using PT the side monitors are just turned off.
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

Thunderbolt display.
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

I've got myself a Crossover 44k UHD LED Display. Awesome!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search