The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any plugins that turn monophonic audio to midi in real time? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th May 2015
Gear Addict

Any plugins that turn monophonic audio to midi in real time?

So I'm looking for a way to be able to play bass lines on my guitar, and trigger a bass sample library from Kontakt. I can do it after recording, with something like Melodyne, but I'm wondering if there are any good plugins that do this in real time?

I mix in reaper, and some people suggest using ReaTune, but I've not been able to make it work without too much latency. This article describing the process is 5 years old, and my ReaTune doesn't seem to have the "live input" option described in the article. Use Reatune to write audio to midi - CockosWiki
Old 6th May 2015
Gear Addict

Jam Origin MIDI Guitar Jam Origin | MIDI Guitar 2
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Addict

Cool. Thanks! I've been playing with it for a few hours now, and it works pretty well. It's not tracking perfectly, but it's mostly correct. I've been thinking about buying a "You Rock Guitar" to play Kontakt, but this software has me thinking twice.
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Similar if not the same technology used as in the Jam Origin

BOSS - SY-300 | Guitar Synthesizer
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Similar if not the same technology used as in the Jam Origin

BOSS - SY-300 | Guitar Synthesizer
Interesting. Does anyone actually have one of these? And how does it track? The jam origin software is good, but I'm still doing a lot of midi editing to clean up wrong notes and add in notes it misses. As much as I'm impressed by it, I'm probably still going to grab a You Rock Guitar, unless this boss pedal has great tracking. I'd rather play my real guitar than a plastic midi guitar, but only if the tracking is really good.
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Rose View Post
Interesting. Does anyone actually have one of these? And how does it track? The jam origin software is good, but I'm still doing a lot of midi editing to clean up wrong notes and add in notes it misses. As much as I'm impressed by it, I'm probably still going to grab a You Rock Guitar, unless this boss pedal has great tracking. I'd rather play my real guitar than a plastic midi guitar, but only if the tracking is really good.
There are not out yet, but one guy on Youtube shows how it works on bass on serial number 0001
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Addict

I have the you rock guitar and I prefer the Jam Origin Software (running the demo). They are releasing Version 2 soon. If tracking is further improved, it might almost be perfect.

Yourock Guitar is ok, but the "strings" are a bit ****ty. They often wont trigger properly. If you just tap the fretboard it works really well, but then its not like playing guitar anymore.
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Addict

So I watched the SY-300 demo on You Tube. The fact that he doesn´t really play anything polyphonic exept fot some power chords makes me think it´s probably not that great. If you could play Bach on it, they would have someone showing that.

The note bending on monophonic notes seems to work quite nicely though. But the sounds are horrible, and as a converter it´s probably quite expensive.

Ah well, the endles quest of the guitar player for a midi solution...
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Addict

I'm actually skeptical that it exports midi well. In a video I saw, they said it's not midi. There is no a to d going on, which is why it has 0 latency. It does have a midi out, but the explanation as to how exactly you use it is a bit vague.

Until I see someone playing polyphonic stuff into a soft synth, I'll suspend my enthusiasm.

I did write a track using the jam origin software today, and it went pretty well. Playing violins and other stringed instruments is way more satisfying than tapping on my ****ty midi keyboard.
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

Imitone

imitone: mind to melody

Although the VST version isn't out yet. That said, it can still be used to trigger instruments in a DAW as it is.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search