The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Very odd input issue (Pro Tools & Studio One) Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 5th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Very odd input issue (Pro Tools & Studio One)

Before you all think I'm trolling I have to add a disclaimer and say that I am not trolling in any way and would sincerely like some help to understand what the problem may be.

Long story short, after Avid's dismal behaviour of late I have been trialling other DAWs.
whilst A-Bing some workflow options between Studio One and PT I noticed a difference in sound with my guitar while monitoring, obviously I thought this must me, not the same performance, zero's and one's and all that.

Eventually I brought up a sine wave in Structure on both Studio one and PT bounced them and imported them both. First into Pro Tools and then into Studio One, they didn't completely cancel, a bump around 100Hz remained at -60dB on Blue Cats annalyzer.
(REAPER also didn't cancel with either of them)

Again I thought can't be "Zero's and One's etc."

Imported my PT sine wave into Studio One and bounced it and it cancelled with the original Pro Tools sine wave, as expected nothing wrong with the outputs of PT and Studio One...

So I thought "maybe there is something wrong with the input"

So I thought I'd record my guitar in PT and Studio One at the same time from the same input and see what happens.

They didn't cancel with each other.
No bouncing, I immediately imported the mono audio file from the folder rather than bounce and again no total cancel and discrepancies in Blue Cat Analyzer.

I'm working late today but see if I can get some files/pics uploaded later today if not then tomorrow.
I'd appreciate any help and if anyone else can observe the same behaviour, if not what can I do?

Just to add... I repeated the same experiment with a different interface and using both interfaces on a different computer and the exact same thing happened again.

first tested on iMac with RME FF400 with PT 11 and Studio One 2.6 then again with Avid Eleven Rack as interface.
Then again with Macbook Pro and the same apps/interfaces.
Old 10th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Ok here's some screen caps of the freq analyser.

First is Pro Tools recording (Phase inverted on EQ)
second is Studio One recording
Attached Thumbnails
Very odd input issue (Pro Tools & Studio One)-screen-shot-2015-05-10-19.39.36.jpg   Very odd input issue (Pro Tools & Studio One)-screen-shot-2015-05-10-19.39.43.jpg  
Old 10th May 2015
Gear Maniac

and these 2 are without any phase reversal
again
1st is Pro Tools
and 2nd is Studio One

Please keep in mind these are recorded from the same input, same performance but resulting in two files that are not identical.
Attached Thumbnails
Very odd input issue (Pro Tools & Studio One)-screen-shot-2015-05-10-19.37.47.jpg   Very odd input issue (Pro Tools & Studio One)-screen-shot-2015-05-10-19.37.56.jpg  
Old 10th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Just to show both files side by side just to show I'm not using two different files.
Attached Thumbnails
Very odd input issue (Pro Tools & Studio One)-screen-shot-2015-05-10-19.57.26.jpg  
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear
Is it possible there is a calibration setting on either Daw where you can adjust the 0vu=-18dbfs. If the volumes of each track are not identical it will not null completely. Maybe one of the DAWs is seeing a slightly higher or lower amplitude for some reason while tracking. Just because it does not null does not mean it sounds different/changes the tone. Could just be a slight volume difference. Tweaking the faders while doing the null check might reveal this as the case.
Old 10th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
Is it possible there is a calibration setting on either Daw where you can adjust the 0vu=-18dbfs. If the volumes of each track are not identical it will not null completely. Maybe one of the DAWs is seeing a slightly higher or lower amplitude for some reason while tracking. Just because it does not null does not mean it sounds different/changes the tone. Could just be a slight volume difference. Tweaking the faders while doing the null check might reveal this as the case.
Thanks but level matching was one of the first things I tried.
I do agree that something on the way in (post AD conversion) is the issue, as they are receiving the same signal.
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear
just thinking out loud
Old 11th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
just thinking out loud
appreciate it
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search