The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam UH-7000 vs Universal Audio Apollo Twin Audio Interfaces
Old 5th May 2015
Gear Nut

Tascam UH-7000 vs Universal Audio Apollo Twin

Hey,

In the coming months I will record a professional album. However, I would like to record the voices in my home studio so I need to upgrade my current MOTU 4pre. I've heard good things about Tascam UH -7000, especially on the preamp , but I also read that the drivers are not very estables. On the other hand, I've always read good reviews about Apollo Twin.

The question is : which interface could give me a more professionally recording for vocals?

I was thinking to use the interface with Rode K2.

Thank you all,
J.
Old 5th May 2015
Lives for gear

The results will depend on your recording space, and your skill.

If you want to track and mix with UAD processing the Twin is the solution.

I have an Apollo Duo, and sometimes track with UAD plugs, gives me a polished sound on the way into my DAW.

Old 8th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post
The results will depend on your recording space, and your skill.

If you want to track and mix with UAD processing the Twin is the solution.

I have an Apollo Duo, and sometimes track with UAD plugs, gives me a polished sound on the way into my DAW.

I only need an interface for recording. Mixing and mastering it's a engineer's job. Maybe Audiente iD22? Apollo Duo has very good rates.
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear
How much i/o do you need simultaneously? What will you be recording besides voice? Mac or PC and budget?
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

As you've talked about professional results, its not just about purchasing of shiny new interface.

4pre or more generally preamps at those MOTU interfaces aren't greatest one, but are definitely usable. Of course sound interface with better preamp can provide improvement like for instance more transient details, less noise at same gain, firmer bass etc. That's all cool, but IME, final result will be much more affected by choice of good mic, reasonable acoustics of recording space and used technique during recording.
By good mic I mean that one, which will be most suitable for your voice and intended sound, it hasn't be necessarily most expensive one.. This is the reason, why professional studios have usually quite broad selection of mikes at their locker. You can use from cheapest dynamics to exclusive vintage condensers. Some mikes has pronounced high-mids, some are darker, some have more pronounced proximity effect.. some are uber clean, some have valve electronics with fattening effects.
What works for one performer, can't be necessarily ideal for another and particular vocal style.
Kinda similar thing happens with outboard preamps, from very clean/neutral ones through "fatter" ones to "edgy" ones.. Sometimes it really helps to insert HW compressor to shape performers dynamics before recording (yes, it is possible to compress it also afterwards, but usually the result isn't really same).
Acoustic space is also very important, because for instance some room flutter echoes or desk reflections are really hard to get rid of during mixing. It really affects clarity of recording and can preserve unnoticed until you check tracks at better monitoring system or sound is amplified during further compression.

So IMO, if you are really concerned about results, I would recommend to visit recording studio and make some friends there ). Try to find suitable mic and preamp chain for you, record few track with different gear. Listen to that, consult with your mix guy. If you'll find something preferable, focus on that gear.. that can really help you with selection from multitude of choices. Maybe you don't have initial budget for it, but at least you'll have a direction (eg. looking for Neumann U87 type large diaphragm condenser and neveish preamp), check used market and cheaper clones (like Warm audio or Golden Age), discuss here. Buy some nice mic, pop-filter, rugged stand and possibly external preamp, which you can connect to your MOTU.
Also check your space intended for recording, record few samples at different positions, try different dynamic levels of vocals (at low levels it can sound OK, but as soon as yelling starts, you can usually hear issues) and possibly focus on some treatment.

Sorry, it wasn't really about external soundcards, but maybe helpful before spending 800 bucks for possibly quite small quality change.

Michal

EDIT: Sorry, I've overlooked your mention about Rode K2, so maybe you went through all of this and selected it as preferable choice. Anyway, all I've written before IMO also applies to different preamps flavours and types and I still believe, external preamp can be possibly more beneficial than inteface.

Last edited by msmucr; 9th May 2015 at 01:42 AM..
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm10 View Post
I only need an interface for recording. Mixing and mastering it's a engineer's job. Maybe Audiente iD22? Apollo Duo has very good rates.
You could use UAD plugs on a mix, or you can track with them adding warmth and tone before the audio hits your DAW.

Take a look at the videos on the UA site.
Old 9th May 2015
JAT
Lives for gear
The TASCAM UH-7000 is a very good piece of hardware and a steal @ $400. Two excellent preamps and conversion a step above others in that price range. If you just want sound quality, this is your pup. The bad: high latency drivers. I use my 7000 via the digital in/outs of a TC Konnekt unit if I need low latency, but I get about 11 ms roundtrip using the 7000's USB connection. If you already have an interface w/ digital in/out the 7000 uses either AES (XLR) or spdif (RCA) - this is a good way to go if it gets better latency. Note: I haven't gone in and "tuned" my USB ports and checked it wasn't sharing etc so you may get lower latency. For the bucks it is hard to beat the 7000 in quality.
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
The bad: high latency drivers. I use my 7000 via the digital in/outs of a TC Konnekt unit if I need low latency, but I get about 11 ms roundtrip using the 7000's USB connection. If you already have an interface w/ digital in/out the 7000 uses either AES (XLR) or spdif (RCA) - this is a good way to go if it gets better latency. Note: I haven't gone in and "tuned" my USB ports and checked it wasn't sharing etc so you may get lower latency. For the bucks it is hard to beat the 7000 in quality.
Wow 11 ms even with the direct monitoring set up in the included routing software?

I dont see SPDF on the UH-7000, would I need two of of these?:
TecNec AES SPDIF 6 AES-SPDIF 6ft Digital Audio Cable, AES-SPDIF-6 | Full Compass

Also, when you use SPDF instead of USB, can you still use the DSP routing/mixing app though? "Mixer Panel" I think it's called.

THANKS!
Old 13th May 2015
JAT
Lives for gear
First, I think Lynx has them cheaper - I paid like $10. Monoprice, I think, had some too.

11ms was for the round trip, in and out. Direct monitoring comes out about half that.

I believe you can - the effects are mostly for in the headphone effects. Any decent daw has good or better effects. Now the TC Konnekt has some top notch DSP effects.
Old 6th September 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
The TASCAM UH-7000 is a very good piece of hardware and a steal @ $400. Two excellent preamps and conversion a step above others in that price range. If you just want sound quality, this is your pup. The bad: high latency drivers. I use my 7000 via the digital in/outs of a TC Konnekt unit if I need low latency, but I get about 11 ms roundtrip using the 7000's USB connection. If you already have an interface w/ digital in/out the 7000 uses either AES (XLR) or spdif (RCA) - this is a good way to go if it gets better latency. Note: I haven't gone in and "tuned" my USB ports and checked it wasn't sharing etc so you may get lower latency. For the bucks it is hard to beat the 7000 in quality.
What about the UR28M? I picked an open box up unit for $359. Great little box!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search