The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Visual Monitor Query...
Old 3rd May 2015
Here for the gear

Visual Monitor Query...

Hi Guys, I am currently running Macbook Pro(13' Mid 2012) OSx 4gb i5 Intel HD Graphics 4000. Using Cubase 7 elements. I have an additional monitor(samsung syncmaster t240) running from thunderbolt to dvi connector. My current audio interface is occupying one of the two usb3 slots.
Shortly i would like to add an additional syncmaster monitor(t220) as well as the UA Apollo Twin(probably duo) to my set up.
The UA Apollo twin will then utilize the thunderbolt slot. As the usb3 slots are at a premium i will have to buy a usb dock as well as buy 2 additional usb/dvi converter. These are roughly £50 each or more. USB docks can vary in price also.
My question is this...will my monitors run from the usb dock?. I have done a bit of research but have found nothing conclusive. Some say you need to run from actual mac and docks may not have the power(even if it is a powered usb dock!)
Lag can seem an issue but as I am only running cubase and not gaming i don't think that would be an issue for me. Running multiple monitors can up the cpu usage a little and with the Apollo Twin being added will it have much of an impact on performance of cubase?
If this has been discussed before then my apologies and please re-direct me. If anybody has a similar set-up then could you please advise useful usb docks/converters etc. The belkin and startech modules pop up frequently so if you have had experience with these then your thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
p.s. Other equipment being ran from usb dock will be Line 6 Mobile Keys 25, mouse etc. Not too sure how labour intensive they are for dock and cpu but to be considered. Thanks.

Last edited by TheYaks; 3rd May 2015 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: forgotten equipment.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search