The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Few suggestions for orchestral string lIbraries Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st May 2015
Gear Nut

Few suggestions for orchestral string lIbraries

Hi guys,Ill be in the market for a string library soon enough and im looking for some suggestions/opinions on a few.Im picking up komplete 10 ultimate in a few weeks(upgrading from 8 ultimate) so no need to mention anything included in that.While action strings look good,the kontakt factory strings never done it for me.Sound good but so little control.I have used LA scoring strings 2 quite a bit as my mate has had it for a few years.Im considering it,so bar that,fire away.Seeing as action strings covers the rhythmic/staccato style sounds,im looking for something that has legato,sustained sounds I guess.LASS does seem to cover all areas and is quite nice sounding in my opinion but im just curious that there me be something just as good/better out there.Cheers
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Hi - you didn't mention what your budget is, but here goes:

I have Mural and CineStrings. Both are great; Mural is better at certain things, and CS is better at others. If you have the budget, I would get both.*

Many people still love LASS; others find it difficult/nearly impossible to work with. Still others claim that a great sound is possible, but requires a lot of massaging. You will need a good verb there. The one big plus for LASS is that has true divisi.**

Some rave about Berlin Strings; others have issues with it. Bear in mind, that the section sizes are about half of what they should be - which basically amounts to it being a divisi lib only.

Some rave about 8Dio's offerings, others have issues with them. I believe there are no 2nd violins (someone correct me if I am wrong). To me, not having VII is a deal killer.

Many love Hollywood Strings; many complain about PLAY - esp. Mac people. I believe that HS has a load of artics; you can check that out on their website. Don't they also have an insane deal on the entire Hollywood Orch? Thay also have a new cloud feature, which may allow you to sort of "rent" the lib for a time. You can ask about this on their forum.

Many people still love Cinematic Strings. It's an older lib ('09, I think), but the demos sound great.

Of course there is also VSL, which has many options that you can buy independently. Some people love their Dimension Strings.

There are also offerings by Kirk Hunter, Sonic Implants, Miroslav, and Garritan.

*I still find the EWQLSO strings better at certain things than either - particularly fast leg patches. And the sound quality rivals both.

** Spitfire Audio also has "chamber" libs, called Sable. At 4/3/3/3, Sable is about 1/4 the player numbers of Mural (16/14/12/10/8). It technically isn't "divisi" but you can treat it as such when writing b/c of the smaller section sizes. The difference here is that you have to buy them separately, as opposed to the divisi being included, ala LASS.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Nut
Thanks Jeff, that's very helpful though I'm not the op.
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Nut

Nice one,cheers!Ya it looks like string libraries are like everything else.Each have different strength and weaknesses.Ill spend a while checking these out.Thanks again
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search