The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIDI Timing logic 9
Old 1st May 2015
Here for the gear

MIDI Timing logic 9

Hello list,

Is it just me or is the midi timing on logic suspect. When I record my external instruments into logic I often have to edit them in multiple places to make them in time. Would it help to have a stand alone midi clock to run it?
i've been looking at the ERM MIDIclock Plus Sequencer Clock Generator.
Also thinking of getting an old MPC 2000 to use its clock...

Any ideas?

Cheers

Paul
Old 1st May 2015
Gear Maniac

If you are sending MIDI to external instruments and recording them, you have a bunch of potential delays to take into account:

- Logic's output of the MIDI event

- The time it takes for the MIDI event to go through the system/driver/interface

- The time it takes for the event to reach the MIDI device (potentially going through other hubs or In/THRU loops on other devices as well, let's ignore this for now)

- The time it takes for the external device to receive and react to the MIDI event, and start generating autio

- The time it takes for the audio to end up back into Logic via the audio interface buffering

Generally speaking, particularly with older devices, the major factor here is the time it takes the MIDI device to respond to incoming MIDI, some of them are very sluggish here. Then you have whatever delays due to the audio device buffering after that.

It's unlikely that the source of Logic's timing is the biggest factor, but if you want to be sure, you'll need to do some thorough tests...
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

I use Logic 9 to send MIDI to synths and record them all the time. I have no timing issues. Mind you I trust my ears to tell me if the timing is good and don't zoom in on waveforms to see if they're lined up to the microsecond so YMMV. How far out are your events? Are they consistently late or does the timing vary? What MIDI I/O are you using? etc....... Also plug-ins can effect your latency across the board, it's always good to put Logic in low-latency mode when you're recoding if you already have a lot of plug-ins active in a project.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search