The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Swapping Macs -- Help! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 29th April 2015
Gear Head

Swapping Macs -- Help!

Hey All,

I just ordered a fantastic new powerhouse of an iMac to replace my 2011 iMac. Problem is that I have a TON of plugins that I installed to my old system as well as a tremendous number of saved channel strip settings that I often rely on when tracking. P.S -- I use Logic X and currently run on 10.10.2 OS...Is there a way for me to transfer all of that stuff over to my new mac without having to reinstall all of it and recreate the channel strip settings one by one?

I really hope there's a way to do it. I've spent days installing some of this stuff -- including the entire Komplete suite. Not looking forward to unboxing my new baby and then having to sit on my hands for a day re-installing everything. Ya know?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 29th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyRobby View Post
Hey All,

I just ordered a fantastic new powerhouse of an iMac to replace my 2011 iMac. Problem is that I have a TON of plugins that I installed to my old system as well as a tremendous number of saved channel strip settings that I often rely on when tracking. P.S -- I use Logic X and currently run on 10.10.2 OS...Is there a way for me to transfer all of that stuff over to my new mac without having to reinstall all of it and recreate the channel strip settings one by one?

I really hope there's a way to do it. I've spent days installing some of this stuff -- including the entire Komplete suite. Not looking forward to unboxing my new baby and then having to sit on my hands for a day re-installing everything. Ya know?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

It's very simple. When you get the new one, shut down the old one. Connect them with a FireWire cable. Start up the old one holding down the T button, which starts it up in Target mode. Start up the new one. It will go through the initialization process and then ask if you want to import your data and information and select the old computer via FW. Then wait. And wait. And wait. And then repair permissions and you are done.

Before you do this, deauthorize anything that you won't need on the old computer anymore, from iTunes to Plugin Alliance or anything else that has limited numbers of authorizations and doesn't use an iLok, etc.
Old 29th April 2015
Gear Maniac

I did this just before chrsitmas. All went smoothly apart from 1 plugin which had to be re registered. Nice and easy.
Old 29th April 2015
Lives for gear

FWIW you also may be able to insert the old drive into a USB caddy and then go through the same process as mentioned above.
Old 29th April 2015
Gear Head

The new iMac doesn't come with FW inputs. Is it possible to do the same process via thunderbolt? Or USB?

I see that a "USB Caddy" was mentioned -- can you elaborate more on what that is?
Old 29th April 2015
Does your old iMac have Thunderbolt? Target disk mode, as it is called, works over thunderbolt as well. If it does not have it you can buy an adapter for thunderbolt to firewire.
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
FWIW you also may be able to insert the old drive into a USB caddy and then go through the same process as mentioned above.
I had to buy a firewire - thunderbolt adapter for my Soundcard so i just plugged the adaptor into thunderbolt socket on new mac and other end into firewire.
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyRobby View Post
. . .
I see that a "USB Caddy" was mentioned -- can you elaborate more on what that is?
Something like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Extern...disk+enclosure
http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Extern...disk+enclosure
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Honestly you will be better off reinstalling applications and plugins from scratch. Less likely to have issues.
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Addict
Just to be clear, the process edwinhurwitz mentioned is called Migration Assistant. You don't have to use it on first boot of the new machine, you can find it in the Applications/Utilities folder and run it whenever you like. It will import your entire user account, settings, everything. You can use an Ethernet cable too, but thunderbolt would be way faster.
Old 2nd May 2015
Migration Assistant is a brilliant tool, but last time I tried to use it I discovered it has limitations in the OS versions it works with. If your two systems are not more than a couple of releases apart it should work fine

Before you migrate, I recommend setting up an administrator account first, updating the OS and installing any free applications you want such as Carbon Copy Cloner, Adobe Acrobat, etc. Then use Migration Assistant to migrate over your old user account, applications and preferences

That way you maintain a "clean" system for the administrator user which can be used for testing

You can also use CCC to clone your existing system to an external drive then use CCC or Migration Assistant to move it to the new machine

Nick Froome
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Honestly you will be better off reinstalling applications and plugins from scratch. Less likely to have issues.
Top that.
Same here What I do is backup the old mac with time machine.
and install every thing from fresh on the new mac. then drag over my old files from time machine backup.

Long process but it weeds out plugin and files i demo and don't need.
stuff like Komplete, east west and other sample bass VI i store all the sound contents to a separate external HD.
so when doing a fresh install I don't need to reinstall the sound files. just install the apps then point them to the HD that already has the sound content

a mac with a fresh install always performs better.

Last edited by sexyman; 2nd May 2015 at 11:07 PM..
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search