The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 Just stopped working?! Sound Issue Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd April 2015
Here for the gear

Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 Just stopped working?! Sound Issue

Hello I've not long just got the Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 (New) and it worked like a Charm, though after a few days I turn on my PC and Plug it all in and Nothing?

The lights are all on and the PC Knows it's connected but it's like I don't even have a Microphone Plugged in. The settings are the same and I've not changed anything at all on the Interface.

So I thought I will play with the setting on the interface but nothing, I checked it was selected on Windows as my Default Driver but it was already Connected and Working (Says Windows). I changed my XLR Cable still no Sound. So I thought Maybe my 2 Year old Rode nt1a was broken, So I've Paid for a New £125 Microphone hoping it would Solve the Issue but I've plugged it all in and still No Sound?!
I've done a Clean Install of Windows but that didn't help.

I'm not really sure what to do now, Like I said the Interface is on as the Lights are Visible but the Gain Lights no Longer come on as No Sound is being Picked up.
Old 23rd April 2015
Here for the gear

(Bump)

Anyone have an Idea?
Old 23rd April 2015
Here for the gear
Your interface might be broken. Did you also try another usb cable? A friend of mine had the same issue with a new interface on mac yosemite, and no less than full reinstall was needed to get it back working. (so it was software issue afterall).
Old 23rd April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patez View Post
Your interface might be broken. Did you also try another usb cable? A friend of mine had the same issue with a new interface on mac yosemite, and no less than full reinstall was needed to get it back working. (so it was software issue afterall).
I'm sure it can't be the Cable as I've said the Interface is on, There is still power going too it because the lights are on. I've done a Fresh Install of Windows/Drivers twice now and still the Microphone doesn't pick up Sound. :/
Old 23rd April 2015
Focusrite

Hi TwiiZTeD,
Please give Novation Technical Support a call on 01494 462246. We can help with this.
Old 23rd April 2015
Lives for gear
If you haven't heard from Focusrite yet try another USB port in the meanwhile.
Old 23rd April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
If you haven't heard from Focusrite yet try another USB port in the meanwhile.
I will buy a New USB and Hope for the Best.
Old 23rd April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiiZTeD View Post
I'm sure it can't be the Cable as I've said the Interface is on, There is still power going too it because the lights are on. I've done a Fresh Install of Windows/Drivers twice now and still the Microphone doesn't pick up Sound. :/
A bad USB cable is more likely than you think. My 2i4 malfunctioned at one point when it had a bad cable in it, even though the lights were on.
Old 23rd April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
I will buy a New USB and Hope for the Best.
I meant try a different USB port on your PC.
Old 24th April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
A bad USB cable is more likely than you think. My 2i4 malfunctioned at one point when it had a bad cable in it, even though the lights were on.
I will buy a New USB Cable and Update everyone once I've got it, Also I have changed the USB Ports but with no Success.
Old 25th April 2015
Here for the gear

This worked for me, hope it helps :)

To any owners of focusrite USB interfaces I know your frustrations in having to deal with extreemly disapointing issues that complety take away from the creative process and for the 18i20 owners I feel your pain being stuck with a 500$ paperweight. To put things in perspective I've come close to taking it out to the shooting range and just F|___|cking destroying this damn nightmare of a PITA! However I believe I finally found a foolproof solution. Its a somewhate moderate list of settings to change/disable but I was able to get my 18i20 100% stable with mix control on 1ms buffer (or any buffer setting) useing the latest 1.94b mixcontrol drivers and firmware.

What I was experiencing in detail:

When useing Cubase 7.5 a complete loss of connection from the interface resulting in the " no connection screen" would generally be about 2-5min than BAM disconnect for no reason! When not useing and DAW the connection would drop out aournd 15-20min. Well here is the lis of things I did that completely fixed this extreemly anoying issue. Also I am going into a USB 3.0 port and it makes no difference for my setup vs pluging into a 2.0 port.

1. Sweetwater Windows 7 Tuning Guide

2. Disable Hyperthreading in the bios

Interesting notes:

When I disabled the usb sleep function in the tuning guide, this fixed the "no connection window" but also created a new issue! If I had the signal to hot and clipped the audio this too would result in an imediate disconnetion. What finally made my set up stable was simply turning off the WLAN/LAN adapters inside of the control panel optinos (this is in the guide). To clarify its not enough to simply remove your eithernet cable...you actually have to disable this within your settings.... Like some kind of sourcery all my woes ended in that moment when I disabled them. Of all the things this was the main cause for my interface loosing connection. However I fully believe each of the other tweaks deffinanlty aided in fixing the disconnection issue and making my system more stable with mixcontrol than it every has been.

Also, focusrite says you need to only use the origional usb cable that is provided....well from my experience you can deffinantly use other USB cables. I purchased a longer 10' USB 2.0 cable from monoprice.com and works just fine.

My Pc Specs:
OS is windows 7 64bit Ultimate SP1
MB Asus Maximus V Gene
CPU I7-3770k oc'd @ 4.6ghz
RAM Gskill Ares DDR3 16gb @ 1866
GPU GTX 670ftw
PSU Rosewill Hive 750w Modular
Old 25th April 2015
Gear Nut

Is this a dedicated audio computer? If not, do you have automatic updates on?
Old 25th April 2015
Here for the gear

Forgot to mention I use it 95% to record music on my admin acount and the other user acount is for gaming. Automatic updates are not enabled and I pic and choose which ones to update. All my pc's components and drivers are 100% up to date for everyting on my pc. My bios is up to date as well.
Old 26th April 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooshMellons View Post
Forgot to mention I use it 95% to record music on my admin acount and the other user acount is for gaming. Automatic updates are not enabled and I pic and choose which ones to update. All my pc's components and drivers are 100% up to date for everyting on my pc. My bios is up to date as well.
ok sounds like you've got it in check. unfortunately the most up to date drivers isn't always what we want, I'm on win7 w/an 18i20 on FW version 1.8, wish it were that simple. so, have you looked at optimization threads for your daw/interface? Disabling the network adapter, and adjusting power setings for usb/ram/cpu/gfx, was a huge benefit for me. Also, the reason I ask about updates is that one day it just stoped working. Have you updated anything recently? If so, try uninstalling the last few that you have.
Old 26th April 2015
Here for the gear

Just so I'm clear DNRDustin your saying your setup is not working with the beta drivers or with 1.8??? I'm using the beta driver 1.94 because I had a ton of trouble with 1.8 drivers. If you need help finding the new beta drivers just let me know.

Sweet waters optimization windows 7 tuning guide helped a little, but the main problem was with the network adapter switch in the control panel. Also I re-enabled hyperthreading for my CPU and it is stable too. That way it helps save electricity and my pc is not full on all cores at 4.6ghz lol. I believe the true culprit here is the network adapter whether your using wireless or Ethernet, it needs to be disabled.

I purchased the advanced system care suite, and it came with a Driver updater tool. It worked flawlessly and literally all drivers are up to date.

Yes I remember last year of my purchase the 18i20 worked fine for a few days and then stopped working too(this was on Mix Control 1.6 drivers). I installed 1.8drivers when it came out. That worked for a few months then, the problem reared its ugly face yet again! So I've been fighting with this damned interface for a while now. Finally its running like it always should have and let me tell you it works very well when it runs. Its a great interface, but the damn software that needs to run along side is the only downfall. That and I wish you could individually make the +48v phantom to any input of your choosing, instead you have to either do inputs 1-4 or 5-8. its either of those options but unfortunately you cannot individually choose :( don't know why that is the case here...
Old 26th April 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just so I'm clear DNRDustin your saying your setup is not working with the beta drivers or with 1.8??? I'm using the beta driver 1.94 because I had a ton of trouble with 1.8 drivers. If you need help finding the new beta drivers just let me know.
No no, my system is solid. I was just pointing out my setup, and that being completely up to date is not necessary. Sometimes updates roll out and break things. So I guess my point is find firmware and drivers that work and leave them be, at least don't go updating everything all willy nilly. It seems that the OP is conscious of that.
Old 27th April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNRDustin View Post
No no, my system is solid. I was just pointing out my setup, and that being completely up to date is not necessary. Sometimes updates roll out and break things. So I guess my point is find firmware and drivers that work and leave them be, at least don't go updating everything all willy nilly. It seems that the OP is conscious of that.

Ah I understand now. Yes I agree with you but I took a chance and lucked out i guess. How long have you had the 18i20? ALso what daw do you use? Reason Im asking is I can't for the life of me set up my compressor to reamp vocals.
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Ah I understand now. Yes I agree with you but I took a chance and lucked out i guess. How long have you had the 18i20? ALso what daw do you use? Reason Im asking is I can't for the life of me set up my compressor to reamp vocals.
I've had it for about 10 months and I use PT10. Are you having issues routing the signal out through Mix Control?
Old 27th April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNRDustin View Post
I've had it for about 10 months and I use PT10. Are you having issues routing the signal out through Mix Control?

Im useing cubase 7.5 but its seems I cannot get my preonus studio channel to route correctly I would like to use my channel strip to "re-amp" but it seems I cannot figure out the routing. Trying to run it like you would a patch bay, but be able to reshape the audio. (finely tune if you wilL) would appriciate and help here.
Old 28th April 2015
Gear Nut

Do you know how to route your daw signal in Mix control? Line out->presonus-> Scarlett line in-> New track in daw?
Old 28th April 2015
Here for the gear

Update: I've got two Brand new USB Cables and still after using both the Interface can't pick up any Sound from the Microphone. :/
Old 28th April 2015
Gear Nut

So your meters dont register at all? On either of the inputs? You should really call xfocusrite support.
Old 28th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Update: I've got two Brand new USB Cables and still after using both the Interface can't pick up any Sound from the Microphone. :/
I probably missed that you answered this......When you walk over to a completely different computer in your house and install the focusrite there and then download say, reaper to do a test, what happens with the focusrite and cable when tested on that computer? No special tweaks. Just a quick test install and mic/line connection.
Old 28th July 2015
Here for the gear

My 2i4 has been bricked for nearly a year now. Within the manual there is a small sub-note: "If you are using a capacitor (condenser) microphone, press the 48V button to supply phantom power
to the mic. Don’t turn this on if you’re using any other type of mic." That was the killer to mine. It seems like it fried the IC that deals with signal routing, so it receives power but nothing else. Incredibly irritating that it wasn't displayed as a potential threat to the interfaces life.
Old 5th December 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1M7LG View Post
My 2i4 has been bricked for nearly a year now. Within the manual there is a small sub-note: "If you are using a capacitor (condenser) microphone, press the 48V button to supply phantom power
to the mic. Don’t turn this on if you’re using any other type of mic." That was the killer to mine. It seems like it fried the IC that deals with signal routing, so it receives power but nothing else. Incredibly irritating that it wasn't displayed as a potential threat to the interfaces life.
hey , my 2i4 did the same thing to me, it just stopped working , thou the lights turn on in the buttons , just the usb light doesnt turn on is you situation the same ?
Old 29th January 2019
My Scarlett 2i4 tends to run and hide if you look sideways at it.

I bought it some years ago as a cheap thing to use when I was traveling. I just bought an AEA N22 ribbon mic and am trying to test it through the Scarlett....but the preamps seem inoperable. (I don't even know if the Scarlett 2i4 can even amplify a ribbon mic) I can't even get a guitar signal to show via line in or instrument cable in. So there's something weird happening with the preamp jacks.

The lights of the scarlett are on and the 48v light comes on for condenser mics...but nothing else...no sign on the input 1 or 2 gain knobs that anything is happening and no sign of input coming though DAW,

Any other tips....?

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search