The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi Keyboard - Logic Pro X Drum Pad Controllers
Old 21st April 2015
Midi Keyboard - Logic Pro X

Any advice on midi keyboards for logic pro x? I am wanting to be able to take advantage of both synth instruments an beats, which the computer keyboard just doesn't cut at this point.

Thanks~!
Old 21st April 2015
Lives for gear

Plenty of possible midi keyboards -- I would look at the NI Kontrol S-Series, expensive but the keybed is one of the best I've encountered with MIDI keyboard controllers... The rest then is goodies like all the options of fast patch management.
Old 21st April 2015
Check out the nektar panorama.
Old 26th April 2015
Thanks for the advice you two. I appreciate it. Do you think it would be beneficial to buy 2 separate midi boards- one for drums and one for piano? Or would that be no better than just buying one for both?
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Nut

If you can, try the controller out before you purchase it. See if you like the weight of the keys and the feel of the pads and if they track velocity well, if it seems sturdy, and if it has any other selling points and how well they work.

One advantage to buying a separate pad controller would be portability if you program on the go. I highly recommend the Arturia Beatstep as a pad / knob controller. Cheap, sturdy, feels good, and is sensitive.

Personally I primarily use an Akai Max49 with Logic and it's great. The onboard sequencer, arp, CV outputs, and lovely MPC renaissance pads are great, plus it's a gorgeous and sturdy piece of kit. The velocity response is really uneven between the black and white keys which is a drag, but I can always just edit velocity afterwards when it's a problem.
Old 29th April 2015
Thanks EEngineer! Would you say that the Beatstep is better than the pads on built in boards such as the axiom pro (and others), or is it about the same?
Old 5th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie0801 View Post
Thanks EEngineer! Would you say that the Beatstep is better than the pads on built in boards such as the axiom pro (and others), or is it about the same?
It's really hard to say! Build quality, firmness, and responsiveness very wildly at all price points. I'd say the Beatstep is certainly the best unit I've tried at that level. I've tried quite a few cheaper MIDI controllers and I can tell you that most are very stiff in a bad way.

I'd highly recommend trying them out yourself since personal preference will vary a lot!
Old 5th May 2015
Lives for gear

I feel like the most slept on drum pad is:

http://www.amazon.com/Vestax-Pad-One.../dp/B004WQXB5O
Old 20th May 2015
Midi board

I have been looking at Nektar Panoramas and they are just out of my price range. Are there any other keyboards that I might be able to get cheaper used that would have reliable keys that are semi-weighted at least?

Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search