The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone used Samsung T1 portable ssd?
Old 21st April 2015
Gear Nut

Anyone used Samsung T1 portable ssd?

What do you guys think of the Samsung T1 portable SSD for audio files for a potable setup?

I need to get a couple external hard drives quickly and I've been reading a lot on here (and elsewhere) and the consensus is .... nothing. I read divided groups saying 'don't trust LaCie', 'LaCie is fine for me'.... I'm using a new 15 MacBook Pro retina and need one for backups and one to record/play from. Since I only have two usb3's I figured it might be best to use the thunderbolt for the audio/record drive and then usb3 for the backup - that way I have an open usb3 for a hub.

A few questions:
Do you think it's ok to run a drive (backup or audio) from my powered Anker hub? If so, I don't need to worry about the audio drive being TB2

What is the best/most economical ssd external you guys use?

What back-up usb3 HDD drive are you guys most confident in? Again, cost in mind.

I know are a lot of threads out there but I find it hard to come out with any definitive answers. I'm hoping some people might chime in and clear some of the mud.
Old 21st April 2015
I have 500GB version of T1, and MyDigitalSSD On-The-Go (OTG) 500GB. Both of them are SSD, and very small (little smaller than the size of credit card).

It's been just a month or so, using both of them, and 'most of the time', they are good (extremely fast read/write).

There are a couple of problems, though.

First is the drive recognition over hub (Anker USB3.0 7-port hub). Sometimes they are not recognized. I plugged in another SSD (Samsung 850 Pro 500GB in external USB 3.0 enclosure) into the same port on the hub, and it was recognized, so it's not the hub's problem. I switch around the port or plug out other devices, then recognized, so I believe it could be a power issue. Both of them are UASP supported, but I don't know which chipset they are using.

Another problem is heat. When I write big data, say 200GB on the drive, it takes a while and the drive heats up. It's almost as hot as 50deg and I can barely hold it. But it doesn't appear to throttle down. When I write small data like a few gigabytes, then it's totally okay.

Anyway, I'm a PC user and I don't use them for audio. I use them truly as 'data carrier' between places (home, office, etc) where I have multiple computers. For that purpose, they are fantastic. But I still carry 2.5inch SSD in an enclosure, just in case the T1 or OTG is not recognized.

Hope this info helps.

ps. By the way, there are even smaller SSD, m.2 SSD and you can put it in an enclosure. I got Crucial m.2 SSD and put it in ZTC enclosure, but the drive got even hotter and recognition was very temperamental. So, I gave up the idea of m.2 external.

Last edited by Masaaki; 21st April 2015 at 06:29 PM..
Old 12th November 2015
Here for the gear

I've got a 1Tb T1, it's amazingly small and seems pretty quick but Kontakt can't see it for some reason! It's driving me a bit nuts because thats one of the main reasons I wanted it...

I'll keep you posted if I can fix it, any one else having that issue?

Last edited by ollytheoctopus; 12th November 2015 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 28th July 2016
Here for the gear

ps i fixed this by formatting it for mac oops
Old 28th July 2016
Gear Maniac

I'm using the 500 GB version for large libraries (vsl, ni, etc). Absolutely no problem on 10.11.6 with or without usb hub(powered). I also have its security turned on, no issues with that either
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search