The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need Affordable EQ Software Equalizer Plugins
Old 21st April 2015
Gear Nut

Need Affordable EQ Software

Does anyone have any suggestions for decent EQ Software that is affordable?

I'm not using it for anything high end (this is for singing along with accompaniment music), so I'd like to either find something that is either open source or less than $100 to buy if possible.

The source for the music is my laptop and I'd like to be able to have a decent equalizer for the music source as it goes out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated to get the best bang for the buck
Old 21st April 2015
Lives for gear

Why not use the free EQ that come with your software?
Old 21st April 2015
Gear Nut

Anyone ever used Equalizer APO (A system-wide parametric equalizer for Windows) from SourceForge.net? This is op-en source

Equalizer APO | SourceForge.net
Old 21st April 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
Why not use the free EQ that come with your software?
The software I'm using the play the music doesn't have an EQ and they recommend using an independent software program for that.
Old 21st April 2015
Gear Nut
Hy Rockrz - what program are you using & on what platform (OSX / Win / Etc.)?
Does it have plugin support?
Old 21st April 2015
Lives for gear

Toneboosters have a bundle called Track Essentials with a very good parametric EQ included, I use it along more expensive (not parametric) EQs I have.
It's 20 euro and you also get a good compressor, and the nice Ferox and Timemachine (plus more).

Meldaproductions have a sale on the much praised MAutoDynamicEQ for 49 euro now (50% off)
It's an eq, it's a dynamic eq, it can do Match eq-ing, great analyzer, auto listen, sidechaining and much more; great bang for the buck. The GUI can be styled and resized.

Good luck
Old 21st April 2015
Gear Nut

Hoster by MTU and it is just a play back system with no EQ. I'm on Win 7 Pro 64bit

I was under the impression that there were music EQ programs for Windows that can manage music come from the sound card
Old 21st April 2015
Gear Nut
Oh - I looked it up, yeah, no plugin support. In that case you'd probably need to use a soundcard with a built-in EQ since the EQ is going to
be at the driver level - I'm not sure of another way to add a software EQ unless it's part of the soundcard driver & if there is it would likely be buggy.
Old 21st April 2015
Gear Nut

Yes, I have the Lexicon Alpha (a friend use it and says it makes MP3s sound really good) to use as an external sound card
Old 21st April 2015
Here for the gear

JRiver Media Center provides EQ with 64-bit processing and can handle up to 32 channels. You can also use additional VST plugins within JRiver, but most VST plugins are limited to stereo or 8 channels. It costs ~$50 for each OS (Windows, Mac, Linux), but you can also buy a Master License for ~$70 which lets you use on any OS. A license lets you use JRiver on all computers you use (within reason) including a work computer.

JRiver has two drivers that let you route all computer audio through it.

First, it has an ASIO driver that can be selected in any DAW. This routes the sound through JRiver and to the output selected in JRiver.

Second, it has a WDM driver. This allows one to route all computer audio (games, internet, etc.) through JRiver. You need to set the WDM driver as the default Windows driver.

Both the ASIO and WDM driver are off by default and can be turned on in Tools > Options > General > Features.

For lowest latency when using the WDM driver, there are two settings in JRiver that can be optimized.
Tools > Options > Audio > Advanced > Live Playback Latency
Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings > Buffering

Finally, if you have inputs like I do on my MOTU 1248, you can route the inputs through JRiver for EQ and then back out the MOTU. This is done using File > Open Live > ASIO Line-in.
Old 21st April 2015
Here for the gear

You can play most (all) audio natively in JRiver and use its EQ. I reread the original post and it looks like you just want to play audio. My previous post refers to routing from other programs which may not even be necessary.
Old 21st April 2015
Gear Nut

That one sounds pretty good... I'll see if they have a trial version
Old 21st April 2015
Lives for gear
If you can use VST there are some excellent options that are free. One of the best is the TDR / Variety of Sound Slick EQ. It's free and is as good as you will find at any price.

My favorite inexpensive EQ's are made by DDMF. They are inexpensive but are still extremely high quality. DDMF products are available in most formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for decent EQ Software that is affordable?

I'm not using it for anything high end (this is for singing along with accompaniment music), so I'd like to either find something that is either open source or less than $100 to buy if possible.

The source for the music is my laptop and I'd like to be able to have a decent equalizer for the music source as it goes out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated to get the best bang for the buck
Old 6th May 2015
Gear Nut

Equalizer Software?

I'm a vocalist doing an accompaniment music thing with my laptop as the source porting music to a PA system... but I'd like to see what is available out there to be able use Equalizer Software to adjust the music before it goes out to the external sound card device I'm using (it did not come with Equalizer Software)

Not looking for major expensive software but I'm not opposed to spending some bucks if it's an effective way to control the music equalization.

Any suggestions?
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Nut

If anyone knows of a good EQ software prog, please let me know.
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
If anyone knows of a good EQ software prog, please let me know.
They are pretty much all good. There is only one way to implement the actual equalizer logic such as shelving, bell, notch, pass filter etc...., therefore most plugins are identical. Unless they are doing some analog modeling. There really is no difference. It's digital, digital eq is strictly based on a specific mathematical model. They either work functionally to the maths and are all the same, or if the math was not implemented properly they are broke. Any modeling that is going on is emulating transformers or inductors or tubes... Which let's be honest....that aspect is going to sound terrible... anyway there is no difference, really.
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Nut

I can't seem to find any... I install one but it was not an adjustable equalizer where I could open it up and adjust the sound.

Do you have any link to specific programs I could try?
Or, names of specific EQ programs I can search for?
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Guru
Try the Hornet SW34 eq. About $20- and a great sounding eq. Midrange is great and the analogue button adds character. I use it all the time. SPL Freeranger is that, free and has a great preset vocal setting. Works well with the Hornet. Good Luck!
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Try the Hornet SW34 eq. About $20- and a great sounding eq. Midrange is great and the analogue button adds character. I use it all the time. SPL Freeranger is that, free and has a great preset vocal setting. Works well with the Hornet. Good Luck!
Its great I love it, but it's pretty characterful no?

I would definitely have it alongside something like Son EQ, or Waves RS 56

(edit 56 being also very characterful, but a nice pairing imo)
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Its great I love it, but it's pretty characterful no?

I would definitely have it alongside something like Son EQ, or Waves RS 56

(edit 56 being also very characterful, but a nice pairing imo)
Yep has a lot of color. Does pair nicely with the SPL Free Ranger that is very clean and free! For $20- makes a nice pair. The Son eq is very nice and there's a Slick eq that TDR makes that is free and great also that I'd recommend highly.
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks, I'll check those two out...
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear
What recording program are you using?
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Nut

This is for music output to a PA system, which I'll be using live in small venues.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is for music output to a PA system, which I'll be using live in small venues.
I think you will be better served by a more transparent utility type eq like Proq2 from Fabfilter or Equalize from Acon Digital. These give complete flexibilty to mold the sound with minimal colouring.
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Nut

OK, so when it says the programs are "Plugins" does that mean they function as a stand alone software program?

As in, I start the music with whatever media player I'm using... and then I open up the EQ program and I'm able to adjust the music at will?
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Guru
You'd need to play the plug ins thru a DAW like Reaper (which is sorta free). You do run into latency, etc, so choose carefully and test. Don't spend money until you're sure it works. Otherwise I'd get something like a Lindell eq and a portable lunchbox and just go analogue. You know it works and no fuss. Top quality also for relatively short money. You can always use to record with since analogue is great to track with.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
OK, so when it says the programs are "Plugins" does that mean they function as a stand alone software program?

As in, I start the music with whatever media player I'm using... and then I open up the EQ program and I'm able to adjust the music at will?
No. Plugins operate inside recording programs. In fact PreSonus Studio One has a free version which comes with all the tools you'll need (EQ/compression plugins etc.).
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Addict

If you're a vocalist and want a bit of EQ, and if you aren't too familiar with the whole shebang, you could do worse than get something like Voxengo Voxformer Vocal channel strip audio plugin (AU, VST) - Voxengo Voxformer - Voxengo

It's a quite sophisticated channel strip that can be used on many different sources, but simplifies things for you (such as the one knob compressor). But you can go deeper as well. It costs very little money and you do get quite a few plugins in one, that you can use as you like - Compress - EQ - Saturate - Gate - Mid Side/Surround.

The EQ is pretty basic, but more than does the job. If you're starting out it's a good place to learn from.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Nut

Excellent, thanks guys!
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Nut

OK, so far I have experimented with some of these suggestions and it doesn't seem that these are simple EQ programs... they all seem to be for recording.

I was originally going off of a friend's suggestion to use an EQ program to have more control over the music output. I have a cheapy Behringer mixer so I'm assuming I can control the music with that and eventually will need to upgrade that after I lean more about operating my sound system.

It just seems like there would be a simple EQ program that is just for adjusting music going out from a laptop.

If anyone ever comes across something like this, please let me know.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search