The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quite Build For Recording? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th April 2015
Quite Build For Recording?

First of all: forgive the type in the thread title.

Everybody wants a quiet computer in the studio, and I'm no exception.

I know the quietest method of squeezing performance while keeping cool would be a custom liquid cooling loop, but those are expensive as balls and I do think the padded case, plus a little isolation effort, will be just as effective, and will allow me better performance options for the money. I've been consulting the fine folks over at HF and they seem to think the same. So, with all that said... Here is a list I have going so far. I included the graphics card because I would also be using the computer for video editing (simple in-studio videos).

What do you think of the build? Would you recommend a separate audio card as well?

My interface is optimized for USB 2.0 (M-Track Quad).

Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3, EVGA GeForce GTX 960, Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker
Old 18th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Toast View Post

I know the quietest method of squeezing performance while keeping cool would be a custom liquid cooling loop, but those are expensive as balls and I do think the padded case, plus a little isolation effort, will be just as effective, and will allow me better performance options for the money. I've been consulting the fine folks over at HF and they seem to think the same. So, with all that said... Here is a list I have going so far. I included the graphics card because I would also be using the computer for video editing (simple in-studio videos).

What do you think of the build? Would you recommend a separate audio card as well?

Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3, EVGA GeForce GTX 960, Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker

you just put the pc in another room and use a wireless kbm and then buy a extension cable for the monitor. However with SSD is a computer really still noisy? I don't see how it can be unless you buy cheap fans. My PCs are so quiet I don't even notice them on.
Old 18th April 2015
Here for the gear

havea better suggestion?
Old 19th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
you just put the pc in another room and use a wireless kbm and then buy a extension cable for the monitor. However with SSD is a computer really still noisy? I don't see how it can be unless you buy cheap fans. My PCs are so quiet I don't even notice them on.
I guess I'm used to working with a noisy laptop. Having the desktop in another room would certainly be idea. Even so, I may not be able to do that when I move in December (right now: in a house where we have a studio room with an attached closet where a computer could be put. Later: who knows). So, working off the assumption that my computer will, in the future, be placed in the same room, quiet fans and the padded case (and maybe a little bit of isolation or placement) should do the trick?
Old 19th April 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Toast View Post

You don't need liquid cooling unless you are seriously over-clocking. Simply buy a quiet PSU and fanless graphics card. If your stock processor fan is noisy then research a 3rd party quiet alternative. I don't connect my hard drives directly noise to the case as this causes a ton of vibration transmitted rumble. I simply float them by tying them using string. SSDs are a more quiet alternative but not a cheap solution for sample library or mid/long term storage.

This should hopefully be quiet enough for most use...

Tony
Old 19th April 2015
Gear Maniac

My current self build DAW is:

i7 4790K processor with the NoFan 95 CPU cooler.

An SSD.

Onboard CPU graphics.

Fanless seasonic 520W PSU.

It is an entirely passive cooled PC and I have no case fans. This results in a PC with no moving parts what so ever and is COMPLETELY silent.

The cpu is very powerful and my max temps are about 45 Celsius.

Perfect solution IMO.
Old 19th April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
That's how I do it.

You don't necessarily have to go wireless to do it.

You can use "repeater USB cables" as USB extension cables. You could go 65 feet or more with as many USB devices as you like using repeaters whereas even with short distances there is data degradation using plain cables. Repeaters completely eliminate the issue.

Think of it as a little like balanced mic cables....sort of.

I don't see any merit to the idea of TRYING to make a quiet computer. Just get it out of the room and VIOLA! Issue resolved perfectly.
Old 4th May 2015
Heyo all,

I've been chipping away at a parts list and thinking about what I'm going to want the setup to be in the long run. This is where I'm at with it right now:

The Toaster: PC Part Picker

I'm still trying to figure that bit out in regard to versatility in case configuration and fans vs. radiators, etc. I'm hoping by the time I get around to doing this, there may be a 900-series fanless graphics card (fingers crossed).
Old 4th May 2015
I had a Rain Ion that was incredibly noisy and didn't have the luxury of a separate room to put it in. I recently upgraded to a PCAudioLabs custom build and it is dead quiet. No liquid cooling. I've got 13 terabytes of storage on a mix of SSD and SATA drives and it if quiet enough to record acoustic guitars with no problems. So it is possible to build a quiet, non liquid cooled box.
Old 12th May 2015
Just checking in. This is what I have on the list of parts so far. Keeping it just under that $1500 mark.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ben.toast/saved/9khZxr
Old 13th October 2015
Update: Build finished last month, really really long blog post talking about it.

https://epitomeoftoast.wordpress.com...lt-a-computer/
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search