The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg UR44 Yamaha D-PRE gain Dynamic Microphones
Old 14th April 2015
Here for the gear

Steinberg UR44 Yamaha D-PRE gain

Does anyone know how much input gain you can get out of the Yamaha D-Pres on the Steinberg UR44?

I was looking for specs but they don't seem to want to tell me anywhere...
Old 14th April 2015
Gear Head

In this review article at soundonsound:
Steinberg UR44

Underneath the heading "In Session" it states:
Plenty of gain was available to the microphones (up to +52dB) and again, I found the D–Pre preamps to be low in noise and transparent.

(That doesn't seem like plenty of gain to me, perhaps that's why Steinberg hides that specification in all the documentation...)
Old 26th June 2018
Here for the gear
If that's correct, 52db is way low, too low for some dynamic mics. The actual gain of the pres is apparently a top secret at Steinberg. No way can get a straight answer it seems. Maybe they are hiding the real figure for "marketing" reasons.
Old 26th June 2018
Lives for gear

It is hard to remember when i have any complains of fellow engineers about "not enough" gain from preamp.
Working at FOH i never used more than 30-35dB for any source, including small toyish xylophones.
Working on a movie set, or recording foley/ambiences - never used more that 40-50dB even at the quitest moments.

Recording distant whisper with SM58? - never though it is a good idea, wrong tool for a task.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search