The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase USer peeking at PT
Old 21st December 2006
Gear Nut

Cubase USer peeking at PT

I am currently using Cubase SX3 and love it. But EVERYONE and his mother talks about Protools. So now I am curious.
Can I utlize VST's with PT? Or would I only be able to use plugins?
I am also thinking about upgrading my interface (currently using Delta 1010). If I decide to try PT, I will need to decide between using M-Powered or LE. I know that will be dependant on the hardware that I choose. From what I've read lately, it seems that LE is the way to go.
Other than the 'industry standard' issue, is there any other real reason why I should migrate to PT?
Any feedback would be appreciated!
Old 21st December 2006
Gear Maniac

im in the same predicament, love nuendo but im battered daily by this ptools craze. 7.3 does look serious but i dont wanna give up my rme setup unless i have to get the profire lightbridge in which i have to find a buyer for my 9652.
Old 21st December 2006
Lives for gear

Unless your going to get more work stay with what you know. If bands are asking for pro tools or you need to do transfers, do what I know a lot of local studios have get a Mbox and say you have pro tools. Although never really use it. I mean if your doing band work most do not know, just say cubase is pro tools he he. You get to have a play and see as well. If your after a new interface already get a m-powered compatiable one. That new lightpipe thing looks intereseting. Very upgradable and your not stuck using onboard pres or convertors if you upgrade like a fireface etc where 8 ADDA no matter what
Although I did a lot of work in my studio where I did sessions that went out and in and out etc back and forwards between my Pro Tools setup and their home one. Yes I can consolidate although when you bring up there mix, fiddle a little do some vocals over the top in playlists then give it back for them to edit. It is a lot easier.
Old 21st December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Rene View Post
im in the same predicament, love nuendo but im battered daily by this ptools craze. 7.3 does look serious but i dont wanna give up my rme setup unless i have to get the profire lightbridge in which i have to find a buyer for my 9652.
Get an M-Powered version with a Transit and a copy of EDL Convert pro.
Old 21st December 2006
Lives for gear

If you are working in a hme studio i dont see any reason to really change as long as everything you need is in your home rig. Pro Tools is a great program but its not very flexible. I wouldnt recommend it for bands tho. I do hip hop so for me its great everything I need. If you need a high track count with lots of extras Pro Tools may not be for you, atleast not LE.
Old 21st December 2006
Lives for gear

Don't abandon Cubase SX3 for PT. I did just the opposite years ago and am very happy with Cubase SX3. No more Digidesign - and no more Apple or Waves, for that matter. I've had enough of all 3 of those companies tutt .
Old 21st December 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Get an M-Powered version with a Transit and a copy of EDL Convert pro.
Yeah, I was thinking the same though the educational mpowered comes with digitranslator, and i can jack this to my adi-2. Thanks.
Old 21st December 2006
Gear Nut

I really appreciate the feedback!
Yeah, Cubase SX does everything I need right now. Eventually I will be working with other artists, so thats why I was thinking about switching. It seems that 9 out of 10 are using PT's, so it would suck if all I was affluent with was Cubase.
Is there a way to import PT files into Cubase, or vice versa?
Old 21st December 2006
ODZ
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
I really appreciate the feedback!
Yeah, Cubase SX does everything I need right now. Eventually I will be working with other artists, so thats why I was thinking about switching. It seems that 9 out of 10 are using PT's, so it would suck if all I was affluent with was Cubase.
Is there a way to import PT files into Cubase, or vice versa?
Not the session file itself, but audio files are audio files. If in PC land, AIFF or WAV will do-"ultimately" the same. If mac, SDII is available to you. When moving from one to the other, just consolidate or render your tracks so everything has a common start point and go from there. It's a breeze

I say M-powered for the PT solution, stick with cubase for your nitty-gritty work.

BTW, PT does not support all your lovely VST'sdfegad
Old 21st December 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODZ View Post

BTW, PT does not support all your lovely VST'sdfegad
Now THAT really sucks. If that's the case, then I would have to totally restructure my 'process' if I switched to PT. I do ALOT of stuff with VST's in Cubase.....
Old 21st December 2006
vst to rtas wrapper by fxpansion.

doesn't work on everything but most.

gets your vst in pt.

but if your happy be happy
Old 21st December 2006
Lives for gear

I would advise that you invest your money in hardware( new computer, new convertors, DSP, etc) or upgrade to Nuendo. If you're doing lots of work with other studios that have PT, then get PT M-powered. If you're not, don't sweat it. You are not missing out.

There was a recent GS pollof DAW users. It was a 1st place tie between PT HD/PT LE & Nuendo/Cubase. There were also a significant amount of users in the Logic/DP/Samplitude-Sequioa/SAWStudio contingent.
Old 21st December 2006
I used everything but Protools to do my clients music production! at the end when I needed to go to a major league studio for mixing...I always end up mixing in protools.

Finally I was thinking to mix at my home studio .....so really i need the full protools!

I think Steinberg , Ableton, Sonar are awesome programs and have super cool features for music production specially.
But Protools is the standard and believe me i tried as much I could to evitate to buy the Big PT thing.
Finally I bought the PT HD3 Accell .
As others say...if you are doing your own thing and you don't have demanding clients so you can stay with cubase because is great!! and can do anything....I think all the programs in these days can do anything and sound great...is just matter of preference .
for a mixer and audio editor PT Rocks!
For Remixes Ableton live is king.
And for a great balance between everything Cubase o Sonar are just awesome.

What I love about PT is that having a Mac Pro and an HD3 Accell i basicly dont worry about DSP.....before I used to hate so much when my computer could not handle the session.

Anyway I still using Ableton Live, Cubase and Sonar for certain things like programming little crazy stuff.....and at the end bounce the tracks to open them in PT.

Old 21st December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasandi View Post
vst to rtas wrapper by fxpansion.

doesn't work on everything but most.

gets your vst in pt.

but if your happy be happy
Of course, then you'll have to start nudging tracks, as PT'sLE and M-Powered don't have ADC.
Old 21st December 2006
Lives for gear

i'd say unless you are going to go PT HD, then stick with what you have and upgarde your AD convertors or CPU or new mics or more hard drives or more RAM ... or maybe ugrade to Nuendo. if your business or hobby demands you have PT, then get PT, but, if you can do what you need to do in Cubase, then stay there.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search