The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie Onyx Firewire vs new iMac Audio Interfaces
Old 13th April 2015
Here for the gear
Mackie Onyx Firewire vs new iMac

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has used a Mackie Onyx 1640 firewire mixer/interface with a newer Mac (ie the ones that only have the thunderbolt connector) via a converter cable.

I'm about to get a new iMac and I'm keen not to have to buy a new interface as well.

I've found some people who are using the 1640i successfully in this way, but not the older 1640 yet.

Thanks,
Michael.
Old 13th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhitemann View Post
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has used a Mackie Onyx 1640 firewire mixer/interface with a newer Mac (ie the ones that only have the thunderbolt connector) via a converter cable.

I'm about to get a new iMac and I'm keen not to have to buy a new interface as well.

I've found some people who are using the 1640i successfully in this way, but not the older 1640 yet.

Thanks,
Michael.
I would want Mackie's blessing, in writing, before going down that road.

Converter cable seems like it could be prone to issues too.
Old 13th April 2015
FNM
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
I would want Mackie's blessing, in writing, before going down that road.

Converter cable seems like it could be prone to issues too.
Exactly, Mackie in general has no interest in updating drivers so I would say no. My Onyx stuff doesn't work with Yosemite whatsoever, but I don't have one of the mixers.
Old 13th April 2015
Gear Nut

How much does a converter cable cost? Why don't you try it. My experience with Mackie is with their Onyx 400F Firewire interface that I bought in 2007. I did connect it to my 2011 iMac directly through Firewire - and it worked with their latest updated driver for the 400F interface which was in 2011 before they stopped writing new drivers. for the 400F. It seems lot of people have reported problems with Mackie not supporting their interfaces for as long as other companies. Perhaps I was lucky Apple Core Audio picked up the slack... I currently use a different interface, but I believe my 400f could still work - if in a slightly wounded way.
My thought remains - if you like your Mackie Onyx 1640 - buy or borrow a cable converter.
Old 14th April 2015
FNM
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by howseth View Post
How much does a converter cable cost? Why don't you try it. My experience with Mackie is with their Onyx 400F Firewire interface that I bought in 2007. I did connect it to my 2011 iMac directly through Firewire - and it worked with their latest updated driver for the 400F interface which was in 2011 before they stopped writing new drivers. for the 400F. It seems lot of people have reported problems with Mackie not supporting their interfaces for as long as other companies. Perhaps I was lucky Apple Core Audio picked up the slack... I currently use a different interface, but I believe my 400f could still work - if in a slightly wounded way.
My thought remains - if you like your Mackie Onyx 1640 - buy or borrow a cable converter.
Good point, but when I think new iMac, I think Yosemite (right?). I believe in another thread someone mentioned that they e-mailed Mackie about Yosemite drivers and they basically said they weren't working on them, which completely jives with how Mackie has treated drivers over the years. My Blackbird mixer doesn't even open in Yosemite, I had to use someone else's computer to adjust the standalone ADAT setting and I think that's a current product. It's sad.
Old 14th April 2015
Here for the gear
Thanks everyone. I tried my 1640 on a Friend's new iMac yesterday afternoon via a converter cable and it seemed to work okay, although he was still running Mavericks. I'm currently running Yosemite 10.10.2 on my MacBook and it works fine with that in the firewire port, so I think I'm going to take the plunge and order the new iMac.
Old 6th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhitemann View Post
Thanks everyone. I tried my 1640 on a Friend's new iMac yesterday afternoon via a converter cable and it seemed to work okay, although he was still running Mavericks. I'm currently running Yosemite 10.10.2 on my MacBook and it works fine with that in the firewire port, so I think I'm going to take the plunge and order the new iMac.
How did it work out? I was thinking of getting a new iMac and have the same mixer.

Any feedback on how its working would be great!
Old 6th September 2015
ff0
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by obliterations View Post
How did it work out? I was thinking of getting a new iMac and have the same mixer.

Any feedback on how its working would be great!
Did you try this out?

Is compatibility likely to improve the El Capitan OS?
Old 28th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff0 View Post
Did you try this out?

Is compatibility likely to improve the El Capitan OS?
Got the newest i7 27" iMac and the Mackie Onyx mixer works just fine with the thunderbolt to FireWire cable. Haven't experienced any problems and have been running El Capitan.

Recently got a Universal Audio Apollo 8p and its great. I can switch back and fourth with the Onyx mixer just fine. Have not tried running the simultaneously if that's even possible.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search