The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Making a living from music - or making music?
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixman View Post
A musician is a musician! Pro does not come into it! I have been playing drums for 30 years but I have a proper job! Nothing to do with music! Some people have an inflated view of themselves! Remember the roots, music has a tradition going back to beginning of time! Before paperwork asking tax returns etc! Music was/is based in the community that existed, people worked in the day as carpenters,doctors,gardeners,child minders,cooks,warriors/soldiers etc then after work one together to play music celebrate etc so get over this elitist Pro musician crap, it makes my blood boil! Ask yourself what you do for your community not what it states on your tax return....
Thank you. I totally agree. Your last question is a very important and basic one.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
yup, music is a tough gig and for many (if not most) and it's just easier to be a hobbyist and work a straight job. That's totally cool, until the hobbyist starts telling the pro that the pro shouldn't be paid for his work... and other such things that the hobbyist does not have to contemplate as such.
Its not easier, its a choice. And as a former 'pro', i can tell you that the choice i've made pays a hell of a lot better.

You toss around 'hobbyist' like were building models or something. I do original music for all kinds of side projects, ad media spots, production...i just dont charge an arm and a leg for it because NEWS FLASH: it doesn't pay **** anyway.

The only way i could duplicate i and my wife's current lifestyle as a full time 'pro' musician is if i gigged regularly, had my studio booked solid, was selling albums on iTunes and doing a major film soundtrack during the day on my weekends. I don't need to feel like a 'pro' that badly.

Sent from my MB860
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
You don't have to be one dimensional in music either.
Does it matter at that point whether you're doing stock music or stocking shelves or selling stock at that point? You're not doing what you want to do.

Seems to me maybe it's better doing something that doesn't require being in the studio or in front of a computer, after spending all day in front of one do you really want to spend more time in front of one?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
yup, music is a tough gig and for many (if not most) and it's just easier to be a hobbyist and work a straight job.
It's also easier to be in music in another capacity for your paycheck and do music as a hobby yourself. Being a full time musician is very difficult.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

Two cents - never had a backup plan. Never believed in one as that meant I wouldn't be focusing fully upon the present. Music doesn't want you cheating on her.

If it gets to a point where I need to move to another career - Ill go down swinging and become a 'hobbyist' because I cannot imagine my world without creating music.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
As I said, I think if an adult and/or professional can't handle someone sharing their opinions, and has to resort to deriding them for being a "hobbyist", well, that doesn't seem very professional. Seems sort of pathetic.

Also, I don't see how a hobbyist can "dictate" anything to a professional, any more than a professional can "dictate" anything to a hobbyist.
Maybe it's just how YOU are reading things...

Someone might read something and think it's just information,
another person can read the same thing and think they're being personally attacked...
defensive much?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search