The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice please, submitting songs to radio Condenser Microphones
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

Advice please, submitting songs to radio

Hi,

Assuming that a production is up to scratch and that style and music is relevant does anyone have any advice on the best way to submit songs to radio?

Would you recommend starting local and with community and university stations? Would you recommend hiring a pr professional to approach on the artists behalf?

I know that labels have trained professionals with key relationships in place that do this but the process is daunting for an independent release in that there are so many smaller stations out there.

Any advice or insights from experience would be appreciated.
Old 8th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntk drummer View Post
Hi,

Assuming that a production is up to scratch and that style and music is relevant does anyone have any advice on the best way to submit songs to radio?

Would you recommend starting local and with community and university stations? Would you recommend hiring a pr professional to approach on the artists behalf?

I know that labels have trained professionals with key relationships in place that do this but the process is daunting for an independent release in that there are so many smaller stations out there.

what genre?
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

A mixture of hip hop and rock/ funk. Rapping and singing with guitar, drums, bass and keys.

The most successful acts in this vein would be the chilli peppers, the roots, arrested development, gym class heros, linkin park.

Thanks.
Old 8th September 2012
Quote:
A mixture of hip hop and rock/ funk. Rapping and singing with guitar, drums, bass and keys.

The most successful acts in this vein would be the chilli peppers, the roots, arrested development, gym class heros, linkin park.

Thanks.
that's a tough nut to crack without a label. some might say impossible. I don't want to rain on your parade but that's about as hard as it gets. the only thing more competitive for airplay is probably pop and urban crossover.

is the band a functioning live band? my suggestion would be to do what you can locally - if there are any stations that have a local band show.

there's also a very wide range from the roots to linkin park, or from chilli peppers to arrested development. does it lean more organic urban (roots/arrested development) or more alt/rock (linkin park/chilli peppers)?

if there's a unique bend to the band there could be some non-com potential.

[edit] - I've been commenting from a US perspective and I notice you are in Oz.

you might want to ask Chrisso... don't you guys have State Funded Radio like Triple J? I did some radio interviews on Triple J when I was there in 2000... I think you may actually have better access to radio there, than we have here in the states (which is just about impossible).
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
that's a tough nut to crack without a label. some might say impossible. I don't want to rain on your parade but that's about as hard as it gets. the only thing more competitive for airplay is probably pop and urban crossover.

is the band a functioning live band? my suggestion would be to do what you can locally - if there are any stations that have a local band show.

there's also a very wide range from the roots to linkin park, or from chilli peppers to arrested development. does it lean more organic urban (roots/arrested development) or more alt/rock (linkin park/chilli peppers)?

if there's a unique bend to the band there could be some non-com potential.

[edit] - I've been commenting from a US perspective and I notice you are in Oz.

you might want to ask Chrisso... don't you guys have State Funded Radio like Triple J? I did some radio interviews on Triple J when I was there in 2000... I think you may actually have better access to radio there, than we have here in the states (which is just about impossible).
Thanks Rack,

Yes the band is functioning live. I was originally thinking if using YouTube to document some live shows and leverage the interest on there to get radio attention.

To answer your questions, some of the tunes are organic urban while others are alt rock. Ideally we'd like to appeal to rock fans and urban fans - I think that the roots and linkin park have been successful in crossing over but the material is no where as heavy as linkin park. It's less rocky than the chilli peppers leaning more towards funk.

To your point, yes triple J is a national government funded radio station and pretty much the gateway to other radio stations in the country. AirPlay on triple j also helps other revenue opportunities from gigging and festivals and the like.

Chrisso and or anyone else, do you have experience in working with triple j? Ant advice which you could offer? I'd like to avoid submitting in their unearthed web site as there are tens of thousands of bands on there.

The project is self funded and we're hiring a top class producer (the proper kind not the hip hop kind) and a top notch studio for the project.

I suppose the other thing to consider is to shop the material around to labels after the project is finished. Do labels offer sales and marketing contracts these day? Where they wouldn't have to invest in production costs and wouldn't own the recordings but would get a cut by helping with the go to market.
Old 8th September 2012
Quote:
I suppose the other thing to consider is to shop the material around to labels after the project is finished. Do labels offer sales and marketing contracts these day? Where they wouldn't have to invest in production costs and wouldn't own the recordings but would get a cut by helping with the go to market.
the rub is that marketing and promotion costs usually dwarf album recording costs.
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

I suppose that YouTube is our best bet. Hopefully someone at triple J likes our stuff otherwise we've got **** all chance of getting on air.

It's a shame because in my opinion many at that station don't have a good ear for good music.
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Nut

NTK - there are independent radio pluggers you can pay to try to service the songs to radio. You need to do research and see who has had success though. Just saying you worked on X doesn't always mean you did.
Old 8th September 2012
Quote:
I suppose that YouTube is our best bet. Hopefully someone at triple J likes our stuff otherwise we've got **** all chance of getting on air.

It's a shame because in my opinion many at that station don't have a good ear for good music.
if you want to increase your views do a few interesting covers... people will discover you on the covers and will then learn more about the band. think of youtube as the worlds biggest bar...
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

It's not impossible. If you play free shows for the radio station when they do promotional events, you can get some regular rotation on your local station, if your music is good enough.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
if you want to increase your views do a few interesting covers... people will discover you on the covers and will then learn more about the band. think of youtube as the worlds biggest bar...
Are there any copy right implications in doing this? I don't want to be part of the problem.

We've covered outkast hey ya live. That song always wins over an audience.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

Oh please. Don't do covers unless you can do them better than the original.

Quote:
Are there any copy right implications in doing this? I don't want to be part of the problem.
There's no problem if you clear the song through Harry Fox. You give a percentage of all sales to the original artist.

I just never heard a breakout band rely on a cover that didn't die the same year.
Old 9th September 2012
Quote:

We've covered outkast hey ya live. That song always wins over an audience.
well... not as far as youtube goes. there are now blanket licenses that youtube has to pay to publishers. however, should you want to sell the song (like on itunes) you'll need a compulsory mechanical license. technically even if you want to give it away you would need this, except as I said youtube has cut a deal with publishers because of the problem there.

YouTube To Start Paying Royalties To Music Publishers | Prefix
Old 9th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted View Post
Oh please. Don't do covers unless you can do them better than the original.

There's no problem if you clear the song through Harry Fox. You give a percentage of all sales to the original artist.

I just never heard a breakout band rely on a cover that didn't die the same year.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-...irl-viral.html

a really viral cover - 132,955,418 views:

a sorta viral cover 9,540,709 views:

a not so viral cover 97 views:
Old 10th September 2012
Triple j unearthed would be a good start. And haven't you heard of FBi?! Best indie station ever!
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
They went viral but I bet they didn't make a dime...
I've done some covers that didn't make or break me. But you're right, they all got played on the radio.

http://www.liquid360mix.com/Thickliq...aster)%203.wav

http://www.liquid360mix.com/Thickliq...%20Servant.wav

http://www.liquid360mix.com/Thickliq...in%20Radio.wav
Top Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search