The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just thought I'd share this with you , my fellow BUSINESSMEN! Studio Headphones
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Just thought I'd share this with you , my fellow BUSINESSMEN!

We talk allot about why folk do or don't pay for stuff ...

This was a stumble upon yesterday ... look what happened to BUYING POWER!!!
U.S. Minimum Wage History

We need to remember this when we talk about things in a historical context ... you can say that things that are adjusted for inflation between say the '70's and now ... I think music is always a bargain myself , but disposable incomes are super low at the moment .

WE need to be sure we give the customer a great deal of value for their money ... It is a good thing that so many good folks still buy music !! Looking at the stats in the linked page and assuming that kids work most for minimum wages , I'm feeling a little humble that I was able to spend so much on music discovery when I was a pup .. ( thanks Columbia House !!)

Discuss ( NICELY FOR ONCE )
Old 30th August 2012
even barring illegally free... music has never been cheaper to access or own in the history of recorded music. there's just no justification for stealing, sorry.

Digital Music News - Worse Than Worst Ever? Tommy Boy Starts Number-Crunching Again...
Quote:
"The first Beatles album in America came out in 1964 at $4.98 list," Tommy Boy continued. "In today's dollars that would be $35 for a 28 minute, monophonic 8-song album."
In other words, using today's pricing of $9.99 for an Itunes album would have only cost $1.35 in 1964... Even if you wanted to entertain a $20 CD (are there any $20 CDs these days?), the same would have only cost $2.70 in 1964.

So in the very worst case scenario, music is STILL 45% less expensive today than it was in 1964! And that's calculated on a $20 CD!

If you calculate the difference for an Itunes download, and full album today costs 86% LESS than it did in 1964...

Inflation Calculator: Bureau of Labor Statistics

Today's $8.00 hr Min Wage equates into only $1.08 in 1964. But, the Federal minimum wage in 1964 was actually $1.25... so today's minimum wage, adjusted for inflation actually has MORE buying power than it did in the 60s.

this is the WEAKEST argument ever for the decline in music sales... the WEAKEST... And, low ticket items (like 99 cent songs) or the most resilient in a bad economy. It's durable goods like cars and washing machines that take the big hit.

here's 1973 - 2008...

the years correspond to excel row numbers, the graph represents 36 years of data 1973 - 2008.

Excel graphed the years as follows:

1973 is plot point "1"

1979 is plot point "7"

1999 is plot point "27"

2008 is plot point "36"

data source: http://musicbusinessresearch.files.w...obal-sales.jpg

so it looks like the economy and consumer competition really isn't that big of a factor after all, again, looking at 36 years of data... the 90's may have been the peak, but that's only because of the illegal exploitation of content without compensation that began at the turn of the century.

remember that each decade saw it's own added consumer competition...

the 70s saw the initial release of VCRs and Video Cassettes as well as video game consoles and cartridges,

the 80s
saw home video boom as VHS matured, cable tv boomed, new types of youth sports took hold,

the 90s saw the introduction of DVDs, home computers became household items, people started paying for internet service, and cell phones began to be common place...

and yet through each one of those decades (without rampant online piracy) sales grew steadily until broadband reaches ubiquity at the turn of the century...

then, the sales plummet.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

I'd never try to justify or rationalize stealing ;

I Just thought about how tough things are now days and was remembering how much fun I had buying lots of CD'a after Columbia house ....... I was able to take more chances cause it didn't hurt as much when I bought something horrid to me ......

I'm not sure how I feel about todays environment. I mean you SHOULD be able to find good stuff because of the preview factor , but then there is the needle in a stack of needles thing .....

I guess I was sort of hoping to start a dialog around here where we don't fall into the usual camps and dig in our heels ...... Probably a pipe dream ...

Thanks for the informative post !
Old 30th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfinger View Post
I'd never try to justify or rationalize stealing ;

I Just thought about how tough things are now days and was remembering how much fun I had buying lots of CD'a after Columbia house ....... I was able to take more chances cause it didn't hurt as much when I bought something horrid to me ......

I'm not sure how I feel about todays environment. I mean you SHOULD be able to find good stuff because of the preview factor , but then there is the needle in a stack of needles thing .....

I guess I was sort of hoping to start a dialog around here where we don't fall into the usual camps and dig in our heels ...... Probably a pipe dream ...

Thanks for the informative post !
I really do appreciate that - but the truth is, music has never been legally cheaper. I think there's tons of good stuff out there. A good place to start is the charts on itunes, generally reflects what's happening in each genre.

If you want to dig deeper, depending on the genre there are tons of dedicated blogs, just find the one that speaks to your tastes.
Old 30th August 2012
When I was a kid my parents had me on a 50 cent per week allowance until they shipped me off to boarding school for the last two years of high school - the school had a standardized allowance of $5 and I was in heaven. I I wanted any more than the 50 cents from my parents I had to work for it - paper route, mowing lawns, etc.

In college I got nothing with the exception of my student loan - did odd jobs, worked at the local coffee house, did leatherwork, etc for what money I had.

Kids these days are spoiled.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
... Kids these days are spoiled.
"These days?" 50 cents per week? You were spoiled.
Old 30th August 2012
Well I agree with having a debate on pricing.
The cheapest music, music which I perceive as a bargain actually, is the most popular music (iTunes top twenty etc).
Because I don't buy that music I'm slugged with $1.99 to $2.49 per song. Add at least $1 to that if I want Wav quality. $3.49 for a single song is I think too much!
I've said it before, but Apple charges around 99c more in Australia than America, for the same song, presumably stored in the same place. We have 10% sales tax, but that would only account for an approx 20c differential.
Why is that??!!??

On the wider discussion. I don't think the minimum wage aspect is a big part of the story.
The people I know who actively share entertainment unauthorized are not minimum wage earners, who struggle to cover food bills, let alone own computers, iPhones and broadband. The people I know who copy entertainment media are mostly middle class suburbanites, who can afford multiple caramel-Frappucinos, but claim they can't afford a $1.99 song.
Also, the entire OECD membership isn't in recession. So this debate has to go beyond the current financial stats for the USA and Europe.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Epstein View Post
When I was a kid my parents had me....
What about walking mega miles to school in the snow ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Epstein View Post
Kids these days are spoiled.
I'm envisioning you appearing in the show Jeopardy ; Up on the board is a category you simply cannot resist .....

Now it's your turn , and you clear your throat and speak clearly ...

" Wide and sweeping generalizations for a thousand Alex "

The kids are from a wide array of socio-economic backgrounds, and although they have a cornucopia of stuff you didn't have , they also have allot of crap to deal with that you never had to ...

They also have a real problem focusing with a million distractions . I have a Nephew who sort of wanted to learn to play guitar for a while .... He had a resource available (me) who could have saved years of wasted time and B.S. empty blind alleys ....;

The last time I visited my brothers , my nephew had the guitar stuffed in the back of the closet and was busy playing fragg someones ass online ....
( and probably DL'ing stuff he shouldn't inbetween killing spree's )

IN some ways I feel I should be appreciative that I had so little distractions when I started playing ....

Anyhow , meandering tangent over ... the kids are alright !!

As you were ...
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
A good place to start is the charts on itunes, generally reflects what's happening in each genre.
Never been a charts kind of guy ... Don't know why ... they never worked for me ... That's what was nice about real DJ's before cheap channel ; there was always the real wild card factor of a real human being on a wavelenght with you and then passionately sharing a stumble upon with the world ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
If you want to dig deeper, depending on the genre there are tons of dedicated blogs, just find the one that speaks to your tastes.

What bloggs do you recomend for someone from the same cohort as you ?? ( give or take a decade I suppose )

Also the problem there is I'm not really a genre specific listener ... Hate to wax nostalgic again , but that's what I miss about terrestial radio from pre cheap channel ; there was allot of diversity and not so much focus group nonsense... If it was good it was good ... Know what I mean ??
Old 30th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfinger View Post
What about walking mega miles to school in the snow ??
Nah, only when I wanted to. We had a '57 DeSoto hemi! And there was a school bus.

Quote:
The kids are from a wide array of socio-economic backgrounds, and although they have a cornucopia of stuff you didn't have , they also have allot of crap to deal with that you never had to ...
Yeah? You try growing up Jewish (and geeky) in mid-20th century Oklahoma!

Quote:
They also have a real problem focusing with a million distractions . I have a Nephew who sort of wanted to learn to play guitar for a while .... He had a resource available (me) who could have saved years of wasted time and B.S. empty blind alleys ....;

The last time I visited my brothers , my nephew had the guitar stuffed in the back of the closet and was busy playing fragg someones ass online .....
Sorry about your hurt feelings, but if he'd really wanted to play nothing could have stopped him.

There have always been distractions, it's just a matter of personal priorities - ya gotta WANT it.

Most kids wanna be a rock star - until they find out how much work is really involved.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Sorry about your hurt feelings, but if he'd really wanted to play nothing could have stopped him.

There have always been distractions, it's just a matter of personal priorities - ya gotta WANT it.

Most kids wanna be a rock star - until they find out how much work is really involved.
I'm actually relieved as any consultations would have been gratis !!!

( And this forum is all about getting PAID !!)
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Rack Gear makes a good point. The book and newspaper industries experienced declines concurrent with the record industry, even though those forms of media have entirely different pricing structures.

And the very last graph in the OP's link is pretty important. Only 2% of the population receives minimum wage now, versus 15% in 1980. Which means:

1) minimum wage is not a reflection of the nation's buying power because it only reflects wages for 2% of the population.
2) minimum wage laws are nearly pointless as businesses are willing to pay more than that for 98% of the jobs out there. If the argument goes that business owners are screwing over labor with low wages, then why do any of them bother to pay above minimum wage?
Top Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search