The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If you are using Soundcloud you MUST read this! Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 29th August 2012
Gear Addict

If you are using Soundcloud you MUST read this!

Your music may be stolen by a site like this.

MODERATORS!! I was told that this link that I posted violated the terms of this site. How do I properly warn everyone when I can't post a link for them to check out if their music is there?

Search for your band name and see if yours is there as well.

Here is what you need to do to protect your music.

The first thing is strip your SC account to private all your tracks you will then notice none of them can be downloaded De-ragalo.com so somehow there is a direct link whether they have found a backdoor way I don't know apparently though SC are aware and doing F**K all about it!!!!

Last edited by BeerHunter; 29th August 2012 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: removed link
Old 29th August 2012
Gear Addict

Here is a screencapture. All of these songs are ours that were posted on Soundcloud. We DID NOT authorize this company to share our music. If you have music on Soundcloud I strongly suggest you look into this further.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 29th August 2012
Lives for gear

Couldn't this happen no matter what site you use? I mean, people have been complaining for years about their photos being pulled off Flickr or Smugmug and then reused or sold without permission. It's not as if SoundCloud has anything to do with it, and even if music is pulled off SC it's only at 128k MP3....
Old 29th August 2012
Gear Guru

So my gut sense of putting your **** on soundcloud being a daft thing turns out to be right ............
Old 29th August 2012
Lives for gear

Wow, this sucks. Effen cholos.

JROD
Old 29th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
So my gut sense of putting your **** on soundcloud being a daft thing turns out to be right ............
You don't need a gut sense. It's been well known that all music can be pulled off SC with free apps (Soundcloud Downloader) websites, and even Web browser plugins that make it a one-click affair. But the songs are just 128k-bit files, and the situation is no worse than a website that takes lo-res images and puts them up on their own site. Even sites that have Flash-based music can get their files pulled. And if it comes through my speakers streaming then Audio Hijack Pro can record the stream.

So no, like the Rolling Stones and Autrechre your music too can be stolen. But it's a relatively low-quality copy and it could happen on ANY site, so don't blame SoundCloud.
Old 29th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9900 View Post
Wow, this sucks. Effen cholos.

JROD
Old 29th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Why would this be an issue? It's already available to listen to for free on other sites. They're not charging for the songs or claiming ownership. It's just another distribution outlet, and one way of looking at it is being grateful anyone would bother to distribute your works.

It's natural to feel robbed or whatever, but that might be a shortsighted view. This "I know she understands" track is pretty cool. I never would have heard about it, or bothered to listen, if it weren't for this. But I'd never pay for it. Ever. So if I were you, I'd just be happy someone heard it, and got some use out of it. You miss out on some stuff like the statistical tracking features through your official channels, but is that really such a big deal?

I looked for it on SoundCloud, and it said:

Quote:
Oops, looks like we can't find that page!

Did you try to access a private track, but were not logged in?
Maybe the track or user has been removed
I was logged in. So all you're doing is erasing yourself from the world. You've got it backwards. Your goal should be for more places to distribute your stuff, not less. Otherwise, what exactly is the point of producing?
Old 29th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
You don't need a gut sense. It's been well known that all music can be pulled off SC with free apps (Soundcloud Downloader) websites, and even Web browser plugins that make it a one-click affair. But the songs are just 128k-bit files, and the situation is no worse than a website that takes lo-res images and puts them up on their own site. Even sites that have Flash-based music can get their files pulled. And if it comes through my speakers streaming then Audio Hijack Pro can record the stream.

So no, like the Rolling Stones and Autrechre your music too can be stolen. But it's a relatively low-quality copy and it could happen on ANY site, so don't blame SoundCloud.
Never blaimed anyone. Not even the effin cholos. heh And I'll hang onto my gut feeling, thanks. Most cholos wouldn't give a toss its only 128k I believe, they'd just nick it and listen to it. My gut feeling said from the beginning that if you put your **** on there it is begging to be had for free and all you could get as a 'plus' is a load of other sheisters 'following' you to build your ego......what a load. Never been a fan of soundcloud as you can tell. Good for gear demos though....
Old 29th August 2012
Gear Addict

... but the thing is, on Soundcloud I have my settings to download turned off but with this site they can download the songs. Just because there are ways to do this doesn't give them the right to allow my music to be downloaded for free. As soon as I deleted my Soundcloud account, all of my music disappeared from this site. It may not bother some but it bothers me and I'm sure it bothers others as well. This is why I made this post.
Old 29th August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamon View Post
Otherwise, what exactly is the point of producing?
I do it for fun
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

@ beerhunter , did you win that metal band remix comp ?you should have :-) still cracks me up thank took I haven't had a band like that in for a while because I may not be able to keep it together.
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Interesting. So based on that, it sounds like it's just a frontend, that isn't actually hosting the content. Yeah, I just checked it out, and it's actually just relisting SoundCloud stuff, and when you listen or download a song all it's doing is redirecting you to SoundCloud servers. That's why it disappeared off the site, and that is probably why it lets you download despite SoundCloud having that set to be off, because it can just redirect you to the streaming version URL.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Why is this surprising?

If you upload stuff to the internet it is freely available to 1/3 population of earth.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

If you have downloading turned off, then the only thing the end user can get is a 128-kbps stream of the music. So yes, they've downloaded it but they've only been able to get a 128-kbps quality stream of it.

SoundCloud | Just uploaded and my track is distorted

Quote:
... we transcode all tracks to 128 kbps mp3 for streaming playback.
So at least your music will sound ****ty on those other sites :D
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

Nearly anything that is digitised can be copied infinite amounts of times.
You can try to put locks on it, but plenty of people will try to pick this lock.

I do believe that Propellerheads have kept Reason 6 away from the naughty side of the net for quite some time now. Perhaps musicians who don't want their music downloaded/copied should try to find this secret.
Top Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search