The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Truth is Unavoidable, The Sky is (not) Rising...
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I hate to flog a dead horse, but have you priced in living in LA?
I know musos in America who can't afford to move there, despite the fact it would offer them cheaper studios and an abundance of affordable musicians and recording engineers once there.
There is no free lunch.
And the reason most movies are not filmed in CA anymore. That state is going bankrupt.

There is a movie about to be filmed about coming up in LA (not lower Alabama) and it's not even being filmed in LA.
Old 11th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
And the reason most movies are not filmed in CA anymore. That state is going bankrupt.

There is a movie about to be filmed about coming up in LA (not lower Alabama) and it's not even being filmed in LA.
tax credits are a shell game. I've worked on two films in the last year filmed in LA and another should start before the end of the year. producers chase tax credits, it's that simple. this is why there is so much production in new mexico right now... and I worked on a film shot there too... Oregon also has aggressive tax credits, etc.

I love when I work on films being made in LA... the commute is shorter!
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
I hate to flog a dead horse, but have you priced in living in LA?
I know musos in America who can't afford to move there, despite the fact it would offer them cheaper studios and an abundance of affordable musicians and recording engineers once there.
There is no free lunch.

I choose to live here for now, pay the exorbitant taxes, make records, use my iPhone, drink lattes, and drive everywhere. It is one of the few places in the world that allows me to make a living making art.

If people are serious about their art, they will go to the places they need to to make it happen. There are no excuses.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
tax credits are a shell game.
I agree. But CA is taking it a bit too far, forcing a generally higher end workforce out of state to make a living. Doesn't make sense.

Quote:
I've worked on two films in the last year filmed in LA and another should start before the end of the year. producers chase tax credits, it's that simple. this is why there is so much production in new mexico right now... and I worked on a film shot there too... Oregon also has aggressive tax credits, etc.

But the budgets are severely cut in productions that stay in LA.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Willing View Post
If people are serious about their art, they will go to the places they need to to make it happen. There are no excuses.
So very true.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
tax credits are a shell game. I've worked on two films in the last year filmed in LA and another should start before the end of the year. producers chase tax credits, it's that simple. this is why there is so much production in new mexico right now... and I worked on a film shot there too... Oregon also has aggressive tax credits, etc.

They were starting to set up several movie studios here in MI... and then the new governor revoked the tax credits promised by the previous...
So much for "Hollywood North"...

Anywho, i'll probably be moving home base soon anyway, so sick of the winters...among other things.
Old 11th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
They were starting to set up several movie studios here in MI... and then the new governor revoked the tax credits promised by the previous...
So much for "Hollywood North"...

Anywho, i'll probably be moving home base soon anyway, so sick of the winters...among other things.
funny... I'm looking to go the other way... I'm plotting on how to move to northern wisconsin... after 21 years in LA I can say I've had enough...
Old 11th September 2012
Quote:
I agree. But CA is taking it a bit too far, forcing a generally higher end workforce out of state to make a living. Doesn't make sense.
maybe it does... some other state can give up the revenue on the tax credits and a lot of the money comes back to LA...

Quote:
But the budgets are severely cut in productions that stay in LA.
not always, the dark knight rises shot in town... I think with few exceptions (like the dark knight rises) budgets have been cut severely across the board.
Old 11th September 2012
Quote:

Agreed.
I spent most of my life in London (waaaaay more expensive than LA btw).
I'm just saying... when you say recording is cheap in LA, you have to factor in all costs, not just the studio and musicians on the day.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Agreed.
I spent most of my life in London (waaaaay more expensive than LA btw).
I'm just saying... when you say recording is cheap in LA, you have to factor in all costs, not just the studio and musicians on the day.
Chris - don't want to belabour this but lets agree all costs are relative to where you are. I lived in London a bit as well. When I work there, I make more money, when I work in (or for someone in) Alabama, I make less. I can't expect consistency with what I do.

I'll also agree that I can get better deals here, Nashville, London, etc. because the pool of talent is arguably greater.
Old 11th September 2012
Quote:
lets agree all costs are relative to where you are.
Yep.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ironic (or rather predictable) that you don't actually take your own advice.
And around we go.

You've said that a number of times, and I've already explained it.

Unlike you, I don't like repeating the same things over and over.

If you don't get it, you don't get it, and you obviously never will.

And yes, I'm well aware that you or your partner(s) in crime will probably post some pointless wisecrack back, but that's what is ironic, seeing as you constantly paint yourselves as the experienced serious ones here getting **** done.
Old 11th September 2012
Well you're just repeating your moan about a couple of us, seemingly obsessed that some people don't agree with you.
If you look above, there are numerous posts, by numerous posters (inc Rack, Camera, Howard, AwwDeOhh and myself) actually discussing the subject, and the current music scene.
Who would have thought?
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well you're just repeating your moan about a couple of us, seemingly obsessed that some people don't agree with you.
If you look above, there are numerous posts, by numerous posters (inc Rack, Camera, Howard, AwwDeOhh and myself) actually discussing the subject, and the current music scene.
Who would have thought?
Ta-da!

That was fast.

Btw, whether you or anyone agrees with me is not my point, nor would that bother me in the least. The fact that you are trying to make that my point, however, is enough right there to show how useless "debating" is here.

And yes, I see the scintillating discussion about $50 string quartets and whatnot. Why interrupt that to reply to me?? You see, that's the ironic part.

Good luck.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post

And yes, I see the scintillating discussion about $50 string quartets and whatnot. Why interrupt that to reply to me?? You see, that's the ironic part.

Good luck.
Dude, do the nurses know you got out of your restraints again and you're messing around with the computers after lights out?!

Just checking...it's OK...I won't tell...
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
funny... I'm looking to go the other way... I'm plotting on how to move to northern wisconsin... after 21 years in LA I can say I've had enough...
definitely a more relaxed atmosphere there than in the city..but.. be sure to bring along an ice-scraper and 4-wheel drive! (and some vitamin D)

"The grass is always greener..."
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Go for the Cheese.
Old 11th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
And around we go.

You've said that a number of times, and I've already explained it.

Unlike you, I don't like repeating the same things over and over.

If you don't get it, you don't get it, and you obviously never will.
funny, this sounds very familiar... almost as if I've heard it before, repeated over and over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Dude, do the nurses know you got out of your restraints again and you're messing around with the computers after lights out?!

Old 11th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
definitely a more relaxed atmosphere there than in the city..but.. be sure to bring along an ice-scraper and 4-wheel drive! (and some vitamin D)

"The grass is always greener..."
more relaxed, check!

ice scraper, check!

4-wheel drive, check!

two words... lake house...
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
more relaxed, check!

ice scraper, check!

4-wheel drive, check!

Lake house retreat to hole up and record sounds good. My dream is to go back to my hometown in Scotland and buy a plot of land by the loch I grew up with and build a studio and fill it full of killer gear! ..and a behringer patch bay. ..

Sent from my Acer E320 using Gearslutz App
Old 11th September 2012
I watched a plug-in promo video about a composer who moved to New Hampshire. Looked totally idyllic.
I live rural and I think one major factor to consider is a creative community. The guy who moved to New Hampshire found himself living near other musicians almost by accident.
I literally have no one to talk to, outside of chat about farming, and absolutely no one to collaborate with, or ask the advice of. It gets old after a while, although I love the peace and quiet.
Old 11th September 2012
the draw of this particular place in wisconsin is that my wife has a lot of family there, and there are a bunch of local musicians. mostly of the coffee house / bar variety - but it could still make for some good times in a pole barn studio with a lake view...
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post

Good one. And on topic and personal, too.You fit right in. Yeah, this is much better than a mental hospital.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
funny, this sounds very familiar... almost as if I've heard it before, repeated over and over...

Not so good. Nice try.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
more relaxed, check!

ice scraper, check!

4-wheel drive, check!

Sounds great. If I ever make it in this game I'd buy a place on the NSW coast on a headland over looking the beach.

Surf all morning, record in the evening in between touring. Ahh that's living the dream.

It's a shame that the industry is ****ed.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search