The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Legally allowing free copying of published works?
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear

Legally allowing free copying of published works?

If a song is published and registered with the appropriate collection body, is it possible to legally allow free copying of the recording of that song?
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear

Yes, the royalty services collect money from performances, not from downloads. In an extreme case you could have a song that is played one-an-hour on the radio ranking up huge amounts of royalties and at the same time it's a free download. Don't know of any such cases, though.
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear

I understand that legally if somebody downloads a song then they have made a copy.

And to make a copy of a recording legally you have to apply for a mechanical license.

If you offer your song "for free" on your website then you are basically granting the mechanical license yourself. If you have assigned that song to a collection agency then you no longer have the right to grant a license for your own work?
Old 25th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdrake View Post
I understand that legally if somebody downloads a song then they have made a copy.

And to make a copy of a recording legally you have to apply for a mechanical license.

If you offer your song "for free" on your website then you are basically granting the mechanical license yourself. If you have assigned that song to a collection agency then you no longer have the right to grant a license for your own work?
No, because a broadcast (performance) license isn't the same thing as a recording (mechanical) license.

FWIW, a broadcast license for non-internet radio in the US only pays the songwriter and publisher, not the act that made the recording.
Old 26th August 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

I know why I never made it to be a star as a musician...

I'm a musician not a ****ing lawyer...
Old 26th August 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

Laws are only good for lawyers...

Time for some new laws. Laws of man. Not laws of lawyers.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search