The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
WHY is there a Spotify ad on GS when they are putting us out of business? Condenser Microphones
Old 21st August 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
WHY is there a Spotify ad on GS when they are putting us out of business?

WTF?

It's offensive to me...
Old 21st August 2012
  #2
Eat
Lives for gear
 

1
Share
Old 21st August 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Sotsirc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
WTF?

It's offensive to me...
I'm also quite sceptical, but some artists do make good money from this. You do have to get played a LOT though.
Old 21st August 2012
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc View Post
I'm also quite sceptical, but some artists do make good money from this. You do have to get played a LOT though.
No.

No artists are making "good money" from Spotify.

The major labels, OTOH, own 18% of the company - and don't have to split anything they make off that with the artists because it's not royalties.
1
Share
Old 21st August 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Sotsirc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
No.

No artists are making "good money" from Spotify.

The major labels, OTOH, own 18% of the company - and don't have to split anything they make off that with the artists because it's not royalties.
Maybe the deal is different in the US, but in Sweden where Spotify originated the artist that had the most plays made the equivalent of 450 000 dollars last year. And she earned just as much per play as anyone else.
Old 21st August 2012
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
Actually, its been a poor earner so I will remove it..
2
Share
Old 21st August 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
Thank you, Jules...not trying to be a PITA, but this company might be the final nail in the coffin for songwriters and musicians...
I've yet to see ONE DIME from Spotify for any of my songs that are available for free.
Old 21st August 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Actually, its been a poor earner so I will remove it..
awesome!
Old 21st August 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
AwwDeOhh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Actually, its been a poor earner so I will remove it..


"poor earner" in many ways! heh
Old 21st August 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
musicl's Avatar
 

What if it wasn't a poor earner? This is a can of hurt, ain't it?
Old 21st August 2012
  #11
I think it maybe wasn't a great fit, that service, this crowd... there's preaching to the choir, and then there's preaching to the... whatever the opposite of choir is... witch coven, something like that.
Old 21st August 2012
  #12
if I had posted this thread I probably would have been banned, so I'm pleasantly surprised by it...
Old 21st August 2012
  #13
.... ah, don't give up...
1
Share
Old 21st August 2012
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Actually, its been a poor earner so I will remove it..
Thank you, Jules!
Old 21st August 2012
  #15
Well wonder if it wasn't "poor earner" if it would of been removed? Either way I am pleasantly surprised.
Old 22nd August 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
if I had posted this thread I probably would have been banned, so I'm pleasantly surprised by it...
I've been banned once...
Old 22nd August 2012
  #17
Eat
Lives for gear
 

i get banned all the time!
Old 22nd August 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
AwwDeOhh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I've been banned once...
I've played with several ban'ds
Old 23rd August 2012
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
.... ah, don't give up...
never. that's the difference between you and I joel... I listen to kate bush and peter gabriel and you don't...

Digital Music News - Spotify Losses Well Past $100 Million, According to Filings...
Old 23rd August 2012
  #20
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

I actually think companies like Spotify might be our only hope. Seriously.

Yes. They're not paying enough but maybe if people get used to the subscription based service they could eventually start charging a fair price for the service. Like $19.99 or $24.99. As opposed the free or $5.00 options.

We need something to move us away from the "music is free" generation and Spotify might be our only hope.
Old 23rd August 2012
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I actually think companies like Spotify might be our only hope. Seriously.

Yes. They're not paying enough but maybe if people get used to the subscription based service they could eventually start charging a fair price for the service. Like $19.99 or $24.99. As opposed the free or $5.00 options.

We need something to move us away from the "music is free" generation and Spotify might be our only hope.
spotify is not the solution and it wouldn't even be up for conversation if not for the illegal exploitation of artists for profit.
Old 23rd August 2012
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I actually think companies like Spotify might be our only hope. Seriously.

Yes. They're not paying enough but maybe if people get used to the subscription based service they could eventually start charging a fair price for the service. Like $19.99 or $24.99. As opposed the free or $5.00 options.

We need something to move us away from the "music is free" generation and Spotify might be our only hope.
Not paying ENOUGH? Kenny, they're functionally not paying ANYTHING!

And they've effectively paid off the majors by giving them an 18% share in the company, which they don't have to share with the artists AT ALL!

Spotify is the EMBODIMENT of "music is free"!

Enforcement is the only thing that's going to help.

Incidentally, Demonoid is taken down by the Ukrainian government as a "gift to the USA".

Another brick in the wall.
1
Share
Old 23rd August 2012
  #23
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
spotify is not the solution and it wouldn't even be up for conversation if not for the illegal exploitation of artists for profit.
True but that's really not relevant. Illegal downloading has happened and will continue until we create something better.

We wouldn't need (in the USA) the dept of homeland security if it wasn't for 9/11 but how does that change the plan. What happened, happened. We need to deal with what is. Not what we wish would have happened.
2
Share
Old 23rd August 2012
  #24
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Not paying ENOUGH? Kenny, they're functionally not paying ANYTHING!

And they've effectively paid off the majors by giving them an 18% share in the company, which they don't have to share with the artists AT ALL!

Spotify is the EMBODIMENT of "music is free"!

Enforcement is the only thing that's going to help.

Incidentally, Demonoid is taken down by the Ukrainian government as a "gift to the USA".

Another brick in the wall.
It's not going to happen without destroying the internet as we know it.

I agree that it's not a great solution but getting fans to pay something is a step in the right direction for long range thinking. Eventually companies like Spotify will be the label. And artists could eventually negotiate a bigger cut. It make take 10 or 20 years and it may never go back to the recording industry that we all knew. But it doesn't matter. That industry no longer exists. We need to create a new one. Not fight to get the old one back.
1
Share
Old 23rd August 2012
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
True but that's really not relevant. Illegal downloading has happened and will continue until we create something better.

We wouldn't need (in the USA) the dept of homeland security if it wasn't for 9/11 but how does that change the plan. What happened, happened. We need to deal with what is. Not what we wish would have happened.
let's start by stopping the flow of money to those exploiting the artists. PayPal has already cut off infringing sites. BMW is cutting them off. Zedo is cutting them off. you have to recognize this is all a massive for profit business.

also begs the question, is there a spotify for software? can I get unlimited software packages for $9.99 a month? why not? because it's not practical.

Talib Kweli Exploited by State Farm Insurance, Neiman Marcus, Ferguson/Kohler, The Ad Council, Google, Ad Choices and Desk Top Strippers | The Trichordist

Neko Case Exploited by Macey’s, Levi’s, Princess Cruises, Skype, Yahoo, Marvel and Electronic Arts | The Trichordist

Aimee Mann Exploited by Russian Brides, Wells Fargo Bank and Nationwide Insurance | The Trichordist

Dead Kennedy’s Exploited by Charter, Blizzard, Alaska Airlines and 1-800Flowers | The Trichordist
Old 23rd August 2012
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
It's not going to happen without destroying the internet as we know it.
nonsense.

no new legislation is needed to clean up mass scale, enterprise level businesses that are for profit infringement farms.

follow the money. stop the money. there will be change. none of the sites facilitating infringement will do so at an economic loss. this is about money, pure and simple. nothing more, nothing less.
1
Share
Old 23rd August 2012
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
And artists could eventually negotiate a bigger cut.
really? have you tried that with apple? let me know how that works out.
2
Share
Old 23rd August 2012
  #28
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
let's start by stopping the flow of money to those exploiting the artists. PayPal has already cut off infringing sites. BMW is cutting them off. Zedo is cutting them off. you have to recognize this is all a massive for profit business.

also begs the question, is there a spotify for software? can I get unlimited software packages for $9.99 a month? why not? because it's not practical.

Talib Kweli Exploited by State Farm Insurance, Neiman Marcus, Ferguson/Kohler, The Ad Council, Google, Ad Choices and Desk Top Strippers | The Trichordist

Neko Case Exploited by Macey’s, Levi’s, Princess Cruises, Skype, Yahoo, Marvel and Electronic Arts | The Trichordist

Aimee Mann Exploited by Russian Brides, Wells Fargo Bank and Nationwide Insurance | The Trichordist

Dead Kennedy’s Exploited by Charter, Blizzard, Alaska Airlines and 1-800Flowers | The Trichordist
Yes. You can play a very expensive game of whack a mole and maybe, maybe it would eventually not be worth it to start a download site. At least for profit.

But that won't stop piracy. It will just slow down or kill "profit" from it. That, in and of itself, does not save the music industry. It just kills another one.

And I definitely support killing any company that profits from piracy. But someone will create a site for free. Kids will share music just for the fun of it.
Old 23rd August 2012
  #29
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
nonsense.

no new legislation is needed to clean up mass scale, enterprise level businesses that are for profit infringement farms.

follow the money. stop the money. there will be change. none of the sites facilitating infringement will do so at an economic loss. this is about money, pure and simple. nothing more, nothing less.
Do you think piracy will end if there's no money in it?
Old 23rd August 2012
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Yes. You can play a very expensive game of whack a mole and maybe, maybe it would eventually not be worth it to start a download site. At least for profit.

But that won't stop piracy. It will just slow down or kill "profit" from it. That, in and of itself, does not save the music industry. It just kills another one.

And I definitely support killing any company that profits from piracy. But someone will create a site for free. Kids will share music just for the fun of it.
I don't know how long someone will pay for other people to get stuff for free. It's about money. It's always been about money. Servers are expensive.

When the brands pull the money out, when the ad networks pull out, when the payment processors pull out you reduce the volume about 90%...

No law ever stopped any crime Kenny. Not speeding, murder or anything else and we don't just throw our hands up and say "oh well."
1
Share
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
thenewyear / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
201
Remoteness / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
10
mosrite / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
101
cleantone / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
38

Forum Jump
Forum Jump