The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
This is what real CENSORSHIP and Oppression Looks Like...
Old 23rd August 2012
I think the thread was started to rally support for fellow musicians facing jail time for speaking their mind.

It is interesting there is no Kony style internet campaign, or comment from anti-censorship groups who are so vocal on copyright, freedom of speech and free information on the web.
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
You seem likely a highly sensitive person.
Me? I'm ****ing zen.

Rack Gear on the other hand:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
so where's the great internet protest and black out for solidarity in response to this censorship? huh? jimmy wales is busy? larry page is in his hot tub on his private plane? yeah... that's what I thought too... helping this band doesn't help their corporate bottom line so let um' hang... nice internet, and I thought you actually cared about censorship... guess not... pass the free beer... (burp).
Are you talking to me? I can't decipher your gibberish.

Seriously, if you could make one single concise point, it'd be mighty helpful.
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpyLoo View Post
Generally most of us are talking (typing) to anyone participating in the thread.
You do seem to have had an aggressive response to some posts in this discussion.
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:
Huh? What planet are you living on?

There is currently room for anything on the internet, corporate shills and independent civilian bloggers alike.
You're missing the point.

The point is that a very large percentage of your so-called "independent civilian bloggers" are in reality paid corporate shills - and the average person has no way to tell which is which. In fact, many of your "independent civilian bloggers" who are not directly backed by corporations and believe they are independent are infiltrated by or under the influence of corporate shills and don't even know it. The recent anti-SOPA campaign is a prime example.
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the thread was started to rally support for fellow musicians facing jail time for speaking their mind.
I think about one out of every thousand words I've read have been vaguely relevant to at least acknowledging that...
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyA View Post
Lyrics from a song by Pussy Riot. In englishish.

----------------------------------------------
"The Kremlin is the rebellious colonies
In FSBshnyh cabinets explode window.
Females ssut for red walls
Riot announce Abortion system!

Attack at dawn? I will not argue
For our freedom and yours a whip to punish
Madonna in Glory learn to fight
Feminist Magdalene went to the demonstration

Revolt in Russia - the charisma of protest
Rebellion in Russia - Putin pissed
Rebellion in Russia - we exist
Rebellion in Russia - rayot rayot

Go out to the street,
Live in Red
Show freedom
civil anger

(playing on the square)

Discontent culture male hysteria
Wild leaderism eats brains
Orthodox religion is a hard penis
Patients are invited to conformity

Mode is censorship dreams
It's time to disruptive collisions
A flock of females sexist regime
Apologies to feminist wedge.

Revolt in Russia - the charisma of protest
Rebellion in Russia - Putin pissed
Rebellion in Russia - we exist
Rebellion in Russia - rayot rayot

Go out to the street,
Live in Red
Show freedom
civil anger"
---------------------------------------------

I don't understand, can anyone explain?
Rather harmless lyrics.

Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear
We're gonna start a new band and name it Expensive Pussy Riot and donate all the proceeds to freeing Free Pussy Riot. At this very moment, we're drawing up a contract that clearly defines what monies are costs and what monies are proceeds. So please, support Expensive Pussy Riot and you'll be standing tall to Free Pussy Riot.

Seriously, do it, it'll be a riot. The first single we're working on is "My Pussy is in the Slammer." We in no way intend to offend, we're just trying to get into the Pussy Riot state of mind.
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:
As you know, the internet requires judicious consumption.

If you can't find independent news outlets, you're doing it wrong.
So how do you know they're independent?

I would bet that at least some of the news outlets you believe are independent are not.
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
maybe in your country. in the us much of 'news' pieces, especially on the local news... the fluff pieces, the lifestyle, the human interest, the celebrity, the health and science stuff.. are usually just press releases from whoever is pushing what and are passed off as 'news' and information.

when you get to more of the national broadcast news, it shows up there as well at times, but more from much more powerful interests than the 'broccoli is healthy for you' growers association that will show up in the local news health segment
In many countries there are such regulations. Not in the US, sadly, which is why Fox News is not allowed to broadcast in Canada.
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Wikipedia in the same bag as google.
In the same bag?

I guess you could say that - Wikipedia is largely funded by Google, both by Google grants and by matching contributions to their fund raising drives.
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:
Quote:
You seem likely a highly sensitive person.
Mature, too!

Quote:
Generally most of us are talking (typing) to anyone participating in the thread.
You do seem to have had an aggressive response to some posts in this discussion.
He seems to have an aggressive response to most everything.
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:
Me? I'm ****ing zen.

Rack Gear on the other hand:

Seriously, if you could make one single concise point, it'd be mighty helpful.
just let me know when that big internet protest is going to take place in opposition to ACTUAL censorship and oppression as opposed to the imagined Google variety...
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
So how do you know they're independent?

I would bet that at least some of the news outlets you believe are independent are not.
Your paranoia is impressive.

Since we're playing bets, I would bet you watch Fox News. No offense, you just have that kinda vibe.

Quote:
Mature, too!

He seems to have an aggressive response to most everything.

If you say so. If someone says something that doesn't address the matter at hand, then I might post a picture of Nick Cage with bird-hair. If that's aggressive, you should probably go get a prescription for xanax.
Old 23rd August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
just let me know when that big internet protest is going to take place in opposition to ACTUAL censorship and oppression
There is a petition on change.org calling to free Pussy Riot. It has 140,000 signatures.

Quote:
It is interesting there is no Kony style internet campaign, or comment from anti-censorship groups who are so vocal on copyright, freedom of speech and free information on the web.
I read an interesting article from The Atlantic just now, courtesy of Google News' dedicated section on Pussy Riot, entitled The Kony-ification of Pussy Riot. It is a provoking read.
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld View Post
There is a petition on change.org calling to free Pussy Riot. It has 140,000 signatures.

I read an interesting article from The Atlantic just now, courtesy of Google News' dedicated section on Pussy Riot, entitled The Kony-ification of Pussy Riot. It is a provoking read.
I bet those don't count for some reason that Rack Gear will tell us about in his next post.
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:
Your paranoia is impressive.
It's not paranoia when it's demonstrably true.

Quote:
Since we're playing bets, I would bet you watch Fox News. No offense, you just have that kinda vibe.
You lose.

Quote:
If you say so. If someone says something that doesn't address the matter at hand, then I might post a picture of Nick Cage with bird-hair. If that's aggressive, you should probably go get a prescription for xanax.
It's rude and childish.

And you're an expert at dragging things off topic with your ad hominem attacks.
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:

Thanks for the change.org petition.

It's interesting to see the Google (and The Atlantic) is doing a backhanded attempt to discredit the movement by somehow equating it with the Kony fiasco.
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's not paranoia when it's demonstrably true.

Okay, demonstrate that sites that I think are independent are corporate-run.

Here: The Other 99, Ustream.TV: -Twitter- @Timcast @TheOther99 This channel is being maintained by The Other 99. We continue to be a primary source from the ...

It's some random kid who walks around NYC every day with a camera.

End of story.

He streams it on multiple sites. Ustream has some advertising (like Gearslutz), but it does not affect the content at all.
Old 23rd August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the change.org petition.

It's interesting to see the Google (and The Atlantic) is doing a backhanded attempt to discredit the movement by somehow equating it with the Kony fiasco.
If you read the Atlantic article and took from it that conclusion, I'd suggest that it might be worth your while to re-read it. The article certainly does not discredit the motivation of those who support Pussy Riot; it rather reasons with those who are outraged at Pussy Riot's circumstances to consider also the broader issue of the Russian government's general-case treatment of political activism and activists. It seems to me a fair point to make, and a reasonable context to add: the media-friendly band Pussy Riot has captured the West's attention, but the author hopes that this attention can expand to include other unjustly imprisoned and threatened Russian political activists.
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:
I bet those don't count for some reason that Rack Gear will tell us about in his next post.
just let me know when that big internet protest is going to take place in opposition to ACTUAL censorship and oppression as opposed to the imagined Google variety...

still waiting...
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:
If you read the Atlantic article and took from it that conclusion, I'd suggest that it might be worth your while to re-read it. The article certainly does not discredit the motivation of those who support Pussy Riot; it rather reasons with those who are outraged at Pussy Riot's circumstances to consider also the broader issue of the Russian government's general-case treatment of political activism and activists. It seems to me a fair point to make, and a reasonable context to add: the media-friendly band Pussy Riot has captured the West's attention, but the author hopes that this attention can expand to include other unjustly imprisoned and threatened Russian political activists.
al jazeera felt the same
After Pussy Riot, artists everywhere must stand up for each other - Opinion - Al Jazeera English

but still not massive internet protest in the face of REAL censorship and oppression... I guess if it doesn't effect google's earnings it's not actually censorship that matters...

all that google's media stunt did in january was so how trivial they think censorship really is, and that's really sad.
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
just let me know when that big internet protest is going to take place in opposition to actual censorship and oppression as opposed to the imagined google variety...

Still waiting...
Quote:
al jazeera felt the same
after pussy riot, artists everywhere must stand up for each other - opinion - al jazeera english

but still not massive internet protest in the face of real censorship and oppression... I guess if it doesn't effect google's earnings it's not actually censorship that matters...

All that google's media stunt did in january was so how trivial they think censorship really is, and that's really sad.

Speaking of google: you should download that new google thing onto your computer.
Old 23rd August 2012
You're getting more and more unhinged, in bigger caps.

And guessing J Eppstein watches Fox News? I had to laugh at that.
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
You're getting more and more unhinged, in bigger caps.
The thought that grown men would think that corporate-owned television news is more open and free than the internet is frankly maddening.
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

If that happened here what would be the worst case scenario?

Perhaps disturbing the peace and trespassing? You might get arrested and have to pay some fines, but certainty not sent to prison for 2 years for "blasphemy".
Old 23rd August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
Sure. What I wanted to say is, that the situation is bad for them overall. The majority hates them.
The "majority" has been brainwashed. Par for the course. Sounds like you're one of them.
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellotronic View Post
The "majority" has been brainwashed. Par for the course. Sounds like you're one of them.

Usually corporate media is responsible for swaying public opinion.

"Punditocracy," as they say.
Old 24th August 2012
Quote:
agreed. but do let me know when the big internet/google sponsored protest is going to be, I want to make sure I'm ready with all those google and wikipedia approved anti-censorship logos and graphics...

and from the op:
Quote:
For those who remain confused about the difference between FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION and FREE BEER (er uhm music) please read this report from Amnesty International regarding Pussy Riot and do take action.

Freedom of Expression is truly a right to be protected and preserved, as ARTISTS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS:

Russia Implored to Release 'Pussy Riot' Group Following Court Ruling Prolonging Detention | Amnesty International USA

SIGN YOUR NAME:
Free Pussy Riot - Amnesty International USA

FREE PUSSY RIOT – GLOBAL PROTESTS:
Free Pussy Riot! |
Old 24th August 2012
Quote:
The thought that grown men would think that corporate-owned television news is more open and free than the internet is frankly maddening.
The fact you ignore financial manipulation on the internet is deeply naive.
I already told you, people are paid a fee to make supposedly personal tweets.
At least traditional broadcast is heavily scrutinized and legislated, and we can experience Russian TV, the BBC, PBS, Fox and Al jezeera and come to a balanced view based on all angles.
Bought bias on the net is at present unknown and insidious.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search