The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Digital DL's are "flattening." Streaming is IN!
Old 17th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Digital DL's are "flattening." Streaming is IN!

The article below is great insight on the track that the music industry is headed. What do you fellow GS'z think?

Digital Music News - Uh-Oh: A New Report Says Downloads Are Flattening 'In All Key Markets...'
Old 17th August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill Trax View Post
The article below is great insight on the track that the music industry is headed. What do you fellow GS'z think?

Digital Music News - Uh-Oh: A New Report Says Downloads Are Flattening 'In All Key Markets...'
Seems plausible. It's hard to find a compelling logic that recommends one's purchase of a track if one can be assured of reliable access to that track through an online streaming service. I'd expect that the streaming service marketplace will mature to a point where terms are more competitively equitable for their content providers as/if this shift continues.

I used the word "purchase" in conjunction with payment for digital music file downloads, but it warrants noting that this is a misnomer: license would be a more appropriate verb (as would be the compound puchase a license), because one does not purchase music files; one licenses them. Licensing is distinguished from purchasing in this context by the absence of rights traditionally associated with physical object purchases; such as the doctrinal (in the United States) right to resale. Bearing in mind this distinction, the consumer opting to subscribe to a streaming service (which likely has convenient cross-device support) over individually licensing/downloading tracks is making a rational economic decision.
Old 17th August 2012
this is just proof that Spotify is cannibalizing transactional sales and replacing them with fractions of a penny per dollar...

http://alancross.squarespace.com/a-j...ic-online.html

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/perm...120730infamous
Old 17th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Right. Its funny because the labels STILL have not embraced change. With everything else going on and has gone on the past decade they still are blind to innovation. Musicians simply can not make a profit with spotify. Of course there are other outlets but today it seems "touring" as well as digial downloads.
Old 18th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill Trax View Post
Right. Its funny because the labels STILL have not embraced change. With everything else going on and has gone on the past decade they still are blind to innovation. Musicians simply can not make a profit with spotify. Of course there are other outlets but today it seems "touring" as well as digial downloads.
It seems you don't pay much attention to what's going on.

The major labels own 18% of Spotify. This allows them to share in Spotify's corporate profits and capital gains from stock price increases without being required to share one penny of it with the artists they're exploiting. Or with the indie labels, for that matter.

So yeah, the major labels most certainly have "embraced change" and have done it in the most predatory manner possible.

I smell an antitrust lawsuit brewing.
Old 18th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld View Post
Seems plausible. It's hard to find a compelling logic that recommends one's purchase of a track if one can be assured of reliable access to that track through an online streaming service.
That's the 64,000 dollar question though.
Meanwhile, I'm still purchasing.
Old 18th August 2012
Old 6th September 2012
Gear Maniac

I read that this morning and had a discussion on my FB group. It is a bit hypocritical but so is life it seems. lol

Personally I believe streaming will prevail considering what ELSE can one do? CD's will become novelties just as vinyl recordings are. Artists must tour, merchandise and provide content online to make a substantial income. Of course there are some that can still push units like Adele, but for the rest of the musicians and artists who are just trying to get a grip at it, they must look to streaming in the future.
Old 6th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Streaming will prevail because it's what the majors want - have heard this from a few people at some of those labels.
Old 6th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAM View Post
Streaming will prevail because it's what the majors want - have heard this from a few people at some of those labels.
we'll see... no one is going to support a business that does not make sense financially.
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
we'll see... no one is going to support a business that does not make sense financially.
... like the music business. :-(
Old 6th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
... like the music business.
well, the music business did just fine till the turn of the century...
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
well, the music business did just fine till the turn of the century...
... and then Edison came along.
Old 6th September 2012
Quote:
... and then Edison came along.
wrong century...
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
wrong century...
Nope. Those who fail to learn from history, etc....

The phonograph was just as disruptive a technology as the Internet.
Old 6th September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:

We musicians are doomed by recorded music! Why will anyone ever go to see a concert or a performance ever again if they have access to the equivalent right in their living room? I quote the great John Philip Sousa in his insightful work, The Menace of Mechanical Music:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Philip Sousa, 'The Menace of Mechanical Music,' 1906
On a matter upon which I feel so deeply, and which I consider so far-reaching, I am quite willing to be reckoned an alarmist, admittedly swayed in part by personal interest, as well as by the impending harm to American musical art. I foresee a marked deterioration in American music and musical taste, an interruption in the musical development of the country, and a host of other injuries to music in its artistic manifestations, by virtue – or rather by vice – of the multiplication of the various music-reproducing machines.
Right here is the menace in machine-made music! The first rift in the lute has appeared. The cheaper of these instruments of the home are no longer being purchased as formerly, and all because the automatic music devices are usurping their places.
But let the mechanical music-maker be generally introduced into the homes; hour for hour these same girls will listen to the machine's performance and, sure as can be, lose finally all interest in technical study.

Under such conditions the tide of amateurism cannot but recede, until there will be left only the mechanical device and the professional executant. Singing will no longer be a fine accomplishment; vocal exercises, so important a factor in the curriculum of physical culture, will be out of vogue!

Then what of the national throat? Will it not weaken? What of the national chest? Will it not shrink?

When a mother can turn on the phonograph with the same ease that she applies to the electric light, will she croon her baby to slumber with sweet lullabys, or will the infant be put to sleep by machinery?

Children are naturally imitative, and if, in their infancy, they hear only phonographs, will they not sing, if they sing at all, in imitation and finally become simply human phonographs – without soul or expression? Congregational singing will suffer also, which, though crude at times, at least improves the respiration of many a weary sinner and softens the voices of those who live amid tumult and noise.
It's actually kind of fascinating how Sousa bemoans the end of amateur musicians that he felt the phonograph forecast, yet the persistent belief now -- at least on this forum -- is that the internet forecasts the end of professional musicians and amateurs are decried for filling up the internet with their detritus (see one of my recent rebuttals to this perspective here, and read the preceeding posts in that linked thread for numerous recent examples of this attitude) which decreases the signal-to-noise ratio and makes it harder for the good professional stuff to get attention. Times sure do change!
Old 6th September 2012
Quote:

really don? who was distributing millions of phonographs globally, daily?
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
really don? who was distributing millions of phonographs globally, daily?
You really don't get it, after aroundtheworld gave you all the clues you should need? Think it through. There was a fundamental shift. Who was massively disadvantaged by the phonograph? Who made lots of money from it? What lessons should be learned from it? If you're so shortsighted as to think that fixing the copyright infringement problem will go very far to solving the problems the industry currently faces, then you deserve to be disappointed.

Actually, to be fair, I don't think you're that shortsighted. You've posted several times about your willingness to adapt, given a fair playing field. I just don't see much evidence of it on a day-to-day basis, which leads to you playing whack-a-mole with people who haven't read you as much. Regardless, I think the point is valid - there are lessons that we can all learn.
Old 7th September 2012
Quote:
You really don't get it, after aroundtheworld gave you all the clues you should need? Think it through. There was a fundamental shift. Who was massively disadvantaged by the phonograph? Who made lots of money from it? What lessons should be learned from it? If you're so shortsighted as to think that fixing the copyright infringement problem will go very far to solving the problems the industry currently faces, then you deserve to be disappointed.

Actually, to be fair, I don't think you're that shortsighted. You've posted several times about your willingness to adapt, given a fair playing field. I just don't see much evidence of it on a day-to-day basis, which leads to you playing whack-a-mole with people who haven't read you as much. Regardless, I think the point is valid - there are lessons that we can all learn.
the lesson to learn is that illegal pressing plants were not encouraged or allowed to exist that were ripping off artists and not paying the rights holders. I don't know what other lesson there is.

the golden age of hollywood ended due to a new disruptive technology called "television." interesting thing however is, that tv broadcasters did so legally and could not just air all previous existing movies without licenses to do so, just because they had a new technology... they also had to pay for licensed to adapt existing material and they also paid to create new original content.

technology does not excuse crime. it's that simple.

I love technology. I love the internet. I use them to the maximum benefit of my business, LEGALLY.

As a society, we don't excuse the crime just because it's committed using new technology. Whether you are robbed with a gun or a computer, makes no difference.

Got it?

this is a damn good place to start...

http://thetrichordist.wordpress.com/...able-internet/
Old 7th September 2012
Eat
Lives for gear

Quote:
the golden age of hollywood ended due to a new disruptive technology called "television."
you didn't mention a number of other causes, at least one of which was the studio system itself
Old 7th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
you did neglect to mention a number of other causes, at least one of which was the studio system itself
the studio system was working just fine, but probably would have eventually evolved on it's own, but was not the reason for the end of the gold age of hollywood. pretty much historians agree, it was... television as the main factor and everything else is pretty much a far distant second.

not that it matters, the point is that television did not get an unfair advantage to pillage and plunder copyrighted works without compensating the artists, creators and rights holders.
Old 7th September 2012
Eat
Lives for gear

the studio system as a distribution monopoly was busted up allowing for the floodgates of indie and foreign production and distribution.

i'm reading that the big frustration here with these posters you blanketly term 'freehadists', is that they aren't at all for piracy, rather they are trying to have you understand that, for better or worse, you all need to deal with the fact that everything is in the process of what could very well be a complete overhaul.... and this constant focus on the p***** thing as the be all and end all of all your worries is to have head firmly planted etc etc and so on crush two cloves of garlic and saute lightly

Quote:
the studio system was working just fine, but probably would have eventually evolved on it's own
there's your mental block right there.

and we'll never know what the studio system would have evolved into on its own, now would we...
Old 7th September 2012
Quote:
i'm reading that the big frustration here with these posters you blanketly term 'freehadists', is that they aren't at all for piracy, rather they are trying to have you understand that, for better or worse, you all need to deal with the fact that everything is in the process of what could very well be a complete overhaul.... and this constant focus on the p***** thing as the be all and end all of all your worries is to have head firmly planted etc etc and so on crush two cloves of garlic and saute lightly
I'm not sure I understand how you think ripping off individual artists and creators for the corporate profit of illegally operating business is a good thing and should be tolerated? Because that's what we're talking about here, illegally operating businesses profiting in the millions individually, and in the billions collectively.

not you are anyone else is entitled to make a living off of my work without my permission. sorry. those who argue otherwise are in fact freehadists. maybe you misunderstood the term.

Artists, Know Thy Enemy – Who’s Ripping You Off and How… | The Trichordist

brands pay ad agencies -> ad agencies pay ad networks -> ad networks pay infringing and illegally operating businesses -> illegally operating businesses profit in the millions and pay artists nothing...

U2 Exploited by United Airlines, Jet Blue, HP, State Farm, Westin, Urban Outfitters, Sprint, AT&T, Amazon, Disney Resorts, Crate and Barrel | The Trichordist

it's pretty simple.

Quote:
the studio system as a distribution monopoly was busted up allowing for the floodgates of indie and foreign production and distribution.
and you've both commented on, and answered your own question right here...

Quote:
there's your mental block right there.

and we'll never know what the studio system would have evolved into on its own, now would we...
nope, but what we do know is the end of the golden age of hollywood was brought on by television, not a failing of the studio system itself, as it was functioning fine up and until then...
Old 7th September 2012
Eat
Lives for gear

you're about as obtuse as they come. you must be a bot spewing by rote, with the same damn litany of links in every post.... either that or you're a completely mad person
Old 7th September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
you're about as obtuse as they come. you must be a bot spewing by rote, with the same damn litany of links in every post.... either that or you're a completely mad person
I've seen it suggested that he is at least in part some kind of search engine optimization bot/agent; his current pallete of links notably all direct toward that one particular blog. Given how unrelated many of his replies tend to be toward the subject matter to which they are addressed (the submission two posts above my own here being a good example), the SEO agent theory does seem at least marginally plausible. But there are rare instances in which he posts and converses as a genuine human being would, so I'd say that there is not yet a conclusive body of evidence to support either possibility.
Old 7th September 2012
Quote:
either that or you can't read... funny how the same arguments get the same responses...

none the less, this is interesting news...
Apple May Build Web Radio Service Like Pandora - Peter Kafka - Media - AllThingsD
Old 7th September 2012
Eat
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld View Post
I've seen it suggested that he is at least in part some kind of search engine optimization bot/agent; his current pallete of links notably all direct toward that one particular blog. Given how unrelated many of his replies tend to be toward the subject matter to which they are addressed (the submission two posts above my own here being a good example), the SEO agent theory does seem at least marginally plausible. But there are rare instances in which he posts and converses as a genuine human being would, so I'd say that there is not yet a conclusive body of evidence to support either possibility.

Agreed. Later for him
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search