The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Spotify requires Facebook account - you cool with this?
Old 13th August 2012
  #1
Gear Addict
 

-

-
Old 14th August 2012
  #2
NO.
I'm not a fan of Spotify, but I'm really not a fan of Facebook. So this partnership is a complete no-no for me.
Old 14th August 2012
  #3
Sure. I have no intention of ever using Spotify although I do (grudgingly) use Facebook.

If I had to have a Spotify account to use Facebook I'd be pissed.
Old 14th August 2012
  #4
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
I think the more spotify removes freedom of choice, while advocating freedom of choice, the better.
Old 14th August 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
NO.
I'm not a fan of Spotify, but I'm really not a fan of Facebook. So this partnership is a complete no-no for me.
Old 14th August 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Im not no and could easily use spotify if it wasn't tied to FB... Im not setting up an FB account for any reason other than using FB which I really have no interest in

Reason for edit : badd spelinng
Old 14th August 2012
  #7
can't stand either one, so perhaps they are made for each other.
Old 14th August 2012
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Any issues regarding collecting too much data from users? With both influenced by Sean Parker, friendly info exchange is likely.

So, based off the TV shows and movies that one 'likes' on their Facebook profile, this can be cross examined with listening habits. Synch decisions could be affected. Labels/bands could also pay for extremely accurate info on their listeners, such as age, gender, geographic location, education level, what their friends are listening to, etc.
Old 17th August 2012
  #9
Gear Nut
 
Flux Capacitor's Avatar
 

I've had Spotify (free) for 2 years or so I think, and this was before FB intergration. I have a FB account, but its a dummy account. I.e. fake name and I never use it unless I have to, and its NOT linked to my Spotify account so no probs here. Is this something new?
Old 17th August 2012
  #10
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
I've had Spotify (free) for 2 years or so I think, and this was before FB intergration. I have a FB account, but its a dummy account. I.e. fake name and I never use it unless I have to, and its NOT linked to my Spotify account so no probs here. Is this something new?
yes.. what's new is you can't have a spotify account (without) having a facebook account.

The OP seems to have removed his/her original post for some reason.
Old 17th August 2012
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post

If I had to have a Spotify account to use Facebook I'd be pissed.
That'll be next year......lol

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
Old 17th August 2012
  #12
Using Spotify reminded me of AM radio circa 70's - usually a given at places of manual work. A DJ would select/contrive the popular music of the day and this was interspersed with adverts/jingles. BBC radio (funded by taxpayer) didn't have adverts but did have hegemonic propaganda; the adverts on the independent and local stations brought in revenue. Although the radio was apparently free for the user, the costs were actually recouped through licenses, taxation and higher product costs. Provision was made to pay the artists whose music was played.

The difference with Spotify is the ability to choose which music is heard; also the need to personally identify oneself as a listener and have a record kept of listening habits.

I don't use FBook much as I wasn't an early adopter; I have no history of social connections there. It is a concern that both operations are nodes in an unregulated intelligence network but that is a given in the current information economy.


I can ignore Spotify/Facebook if I choose; no-one is forcing me to use it. I guess I feel grateful to have the opportunity to use services such as Spotify if I choose; I hope the artists are properly recompensed for use of their material, but like the AM radio days I doubt that everyone gets their fair cut.
Old 18th August 2012
  #13
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
NO.
I'm not a fan of Spotify, but I'm really not a fan of Facebook. So this partnership is a complete no-no for me.
.

Indeed.

De-activated my FB account this week.

I don't need to see NINE custom-tailored FB approved ads for me EVERY TIME I LOAD A PAGE (!)

Send Obama a birthday wish + some other mind-numbing false political ads and slogans + re-routes for ads of pages I was just on and Google and FB searches I just did, idiotic games, and a million friend suggestions.

Screeew that. Done with FB. No Twitter here, either.

Frankly, I'd rather be in the studio or out in the garden.

.
Old 19th August 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Matt Allison's Avatar
 

I don't have that issue

as I signed up for Spotify the day it became available in the US. I think it's amazing and one of the greatest things ever invented.

Just make a dummy FB account and never use it. Turn on 'private session' when using Spotify and none of your info will get shared.

I certainly look forward to royalty increases from them, and I imagine that will happen in due time, as physical sales are now behind digital for the first time in history. The CD will not be around much longer.

Good riddance to it and its 80s technology.
Old 19th August 2012
  #15
I don't think one should be dependent upon the other, but they're already know all of our SS numbers anyway. Might as well go down listening to some good tunes!
Old 19th August 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

Im paying 13 dollars a month for Spotify, been using it for a long time, couldnt be without it, superb, I havent noticed any difference, maybe because Im using facebook
Old 19th August 2012
  #17
Gear Maniac
 
FullCount's Avatar
 

Interesting, since listening to music didn't require a facebook account for a whole 20,000 years prior.

But anyway, I don't really care since I don't, and wouldn't, use either.
Old 19th August 2012
  #18
Here for the gear
 

Ugh, can't stand either. This ludicrous integration will recruit customers into a free advertising scheme on Facebook for Spotify and will probably lead to data centralization. Right now I barely like anything on Facebook to avoid them building up a profile and the thought of multiple corporations collecting and sharing data infuriates me. If they go ahead and introduce news feed ads on Facebook, I will abandon that corporate cesspit of commercialization.

By the way, for those sick of targeted advertising - try Do Not Track Plus, very useful tool.
Old 19th August 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 

I don't get why people care if their music listening is tracked. Data mining corporations have already known everything about your private financial information, grocery shopping habits, and health records for years now. Now with Google and Facebook they know everything about your private life and your circle of friends and family, plus everything you're interested in searching for on the web. Having them keep track of the entertainment I enjoy is the least of my concerns. It's the one piece of data mining that could actually lead to some improvements in my life. I mean, what's the worst that's going to happen, somebody is going to deliver an ad to you that has music you actually like in it? The horror!
Old 19th August 2012
  #20
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
I don't get why people care if their music listening is tracked. Data mining corporations have already known everything about your private financial information, grocery shopping habits, and health records for years now. Now with Google and Facebook they know everything about your private life and your circle of friends and family, plus everything you're interested in searching for on the web.
I think you're exaggerating there. Personally I don't like any form of opt-out data mining, and this is yet another incarnation. As with a lot of these issues, there are often people who don't care and point out it won't really harm anyone. They are right, of course, but the principle is the issue.
Old 20th August 2012
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Using Spotify reminded me of AM radio circa 70's - usually a given at places of manual work. A DJ would select/contrive the popular music of the day and this was interspersed with adverts/jingles. BBC radio (funded by taxpayer) didn't have adverts but did have hegemonic propaganda; the adverts on the independent and local stations brought in revenue. Although the radio was apparently free for the user, the costs were actually recouped through licenses, taxation and higher product costs. Provision was made to pay the artists whose music was played.

The difference with Spotify is the ability to choose which music is heard; also the need to personally identify oneself as a listener and have a record kept of listening habits.
And the fact that the artists whose music is played do not in fact, get paid any appreciable amount.
Old 20th August 2012
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Allison View Post
as I signed up for Spotify the day it became available in the US. I think it's amazing and one of the greatest things ever invented.

Just make a dummy FB account and never use it. Turn on 'private session' when using Spotify and none of your info will get shared.

I certainly look forward to royalty increases from them, and I imagine that will happen in due time, as physical sales are now behind digital for the first time in history. The CD will not be around much longer.

Good riddance to it and its 80s technology.
Don't hold your breath.

What makes you think they will raise royalties? The majors aren't going to push for it - they own 18% of Spotify stock, so they now have a vested interest in keeping royalties as low as possible.

Why should a decrease in physical sales motivate Spotify to raise royalties? It's in in THEIR interest.

Is this a conflict of interest or what? I smell a lawsuit brewing.
Old 20th August 2012
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Don't hold your breath.

What makes you think they will raise royalties? The majors aren't going to push for it - they own 18% of Spotify stock, so they now have a vested interest in keeping royalties as low as possible.

Why should a decrease in physical sales motivate Spotify to raise royalties? It's in in THEIR interest.

Is this a conflict of interest or what? I smell a lawsuit brewing.
True; spotify would love for the cd to become obsolete just as netflix would love the dvd to. These streaming, or blanket services, are bad for the content providers but great for the company offering them, because otherwise they would have no business being in the distribution circle. The real area of interest is how the corporations/managment/content owners (in this case the majors) react to the situation; as long as they are doing at least as good as before in the long run, there is just no reason for them to be concerned with which other side gets screwed over. Good to see you back. Again.
Old 20th August 2012
  #24
Do they have Facebook stock? Requiring every user to have a Facebook account will just mean more apparent customers that Facebook can sell to advertisers. Of course, after the recent FB IPO thing they may need all the help they can get.
Old 20th August 2012
  #25
Gear Head
 
Divercity's Avatar
 

Facebook already sells your information to coorporate companies so giving spotify that much more information may or may not be a bad thing. For instance, They may base what music to recommend by your Facebook activity/history.
Old 20th August 2012
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divercity View Post
Facebook already sells your information to coorporate companies so giving spotify that much more information may or may not be a bad thing. For instance, They may base what music to recommend by your Facebook activity/history.
May or may not be a bad thing? If spotify were interested in helping you find new music they could just ask you what you like and process that info internally to recommend new music for you.
Old 20th August 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 
AwwDeOhh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
....
... Data mining corporations have already known everything about your private financial information, grocery shopping habits, and health records for years now. Now with Google and Facebook they know everything about your private life and your circle of friends and family, plus everything you're interested in searching for on the web. Having them keep track of the entertainment I enjoy is the least of my concerns. It's the one piece of data mining that could actually lead to some improvements in my life. I mean, what's the worst that's going to happen, somebody is going to deliver an ad to you that has music you actually like in it? The horror!
Be aware that you're being tracked all day every day OFF-line as well..
You used to be able to get around this by paying cash for everything, as every purchase is data mined off debit & credit cards. But now stores are actually implementing those facial recognition systems that used to be soley the casinos territory. You just walk into the store, and your entire purchase history is literally following you around along with the security cameras...
...not to mention all the cameras on every corner, GPS in every phone and all new vehicles. You are being tracked, bagged, tagged , measured and weighed in ALL aspects of your life. You think this is a good thing?
You like multinational corporations knowing more about your habits than your mother? You like Google looking over your shoulder at your computer screen? You like the government profiling your every move?
Personally i think it's fugging creepy. But i suppose ignorance is bliss.
Old 20th August 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
Be aware that you're being tracked all day every day OFF-line as well..
You used to be able to get around this by paying cash for everything, as every purchase is data mined off debit & credit cards. But now stores are actually implementing those facial recognition systems that used to be soley the casinos territory. You just walk into the store, and your entire purchase history is literally following you around along with the security cameras...
...not to mention all the cameras on every corner, GPS in every phone and all new vehicles. You are being tracked, bagged, tagged , measured and weighed in ALL aspects of your life. You think this is a good thing?
You like multinational corporations knowing more about your habits than your mother? You like Google looking over your shoulder at your computer screen? You like the government profiling your every move?
Personally i think it's fugging creepy. But i suppose ignorance is bliss.

I hope that wasn't targeted at me because that's exactly the point I was making. The idea that anyone who actively uses facebook would be freaked out by somebody tracking their music listening habits is laughable. There have been at least 10 or 15 years (maybe longer) of serious data mining of every aspect of our lives. Tracking what music we listen to is by far the least intrusive thing I can think of.

I mean I can think of all sorts of nefarious purposes for the other data. An insurance company could theoretically look at the data from our grocery store club card and figure out what kind of diet we have and then discriminate against us accordingly by raising our insurance rates or denying coverage altogether. But how could our spotify playlists possibly be used for evil? People are complaining about a horse that already left the barn years ago.
Old 20th August 2012
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
May or may not be a bad thing? If spotify were interested in helping you find new music they could just ask you what you like and process that info internally to recommend new music for you.
Funny, Spotify can do exactly this!
Old 20th August 2012
  #30
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
The idea that anyone who actively uses facebook would be freaked out by somebody tracking their music listening habits is laughable. There have been at least 10 or 15 years (maybe longer) of serious data mining of every aspect of our lives. Tracking what music we listen to is by far the least intrusive thing I can think of.
Not laughable. It's nothing particularly notable, I admit, and certainly nothing to be scared about, but it's yet another expansion in data mining in the digital world. Fortunately it doesn't really bother me; I don't use Spotify.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump