The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Spotify requires Facebook account - you cool with this?
Old 20th August 2012
  #31
Lives for gear
 
AwwDeOhh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
I hope that wasn't targeted at me because that's exactly the point I was making. The idea that anyone who actively uses facebook would be freaked out by somebody tracking their music listening habits is laughable. There have been at least 10 or 15 years (maybe longer) of serious data mining of every aspect of our lives. Tracking what music we listen to is by far the least intrusive thing I can think of.

I mean I can think of all sorts of nefarious purposes for the other data. An insurance company could theoretically look at the data from our grocery store club card and figure out what kind of diet we have and then discriminate against us accordingly by raising our insurance rates or denying coverage altogether. But how could our spotify playlists possibly be used for evil? People are complaining about a horse that already left the barn years ago.
ahh i see where you were going. Irony.

i read it with the wrong lens.
Old 20th August 2012
  #32
Lives for gear
 
dan p's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
ahh i see where you were going. Irony.

i read it with the wrong lens.
Don't he's dead right.
I personally know a couple of scientists for big corporations, and they are looking @ more ways than ever to get your money from mining your personal data/shopping ways.
No matter how you see it its happening right now to all of us.
Old 20th August 2012
  #33
Lives for gear
 
AwwDeOhh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan p View Post
Don't he's dead right.
I personally know a couple of scientists for big corporations, and they are looking @ more ways than ever to get your money from mining your personal data/shopping ways.
No matter how you see it its happening right now to all of us.
absolutely.
I read his post thinking he was saying this culture of data mining was a good thing.
I realize he was being ironic. Saying that it's ironic that someone who voluntarily uses Facebook would be in any way concerned about their data being mined. (as that's HOW Facebook founder is a billionaire... he sells Facebook subscribers' info)

Personally i think our society is growing sicker and sicker by the day. The attitude that anything "tech" is great without thinking past the shiny buttons will come back to bite, but by that time it will be far too late.
Old 20th August 2012
  #34
Lives for gear
 
dan p's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
absolutely.
I read his post thinking he was saying this culture of data mining was a good thing.
I realize he was being ironic. Saying that it's ironic that someone who voluntarily uses Facebook would be in any way concerned about their data being mined. (as that's HOW Facebook founder is a billionaire... he sells Facebook subscribers' info)

Personally i think our society is growing sicker and sicker by the day. The attitude that anything "tech" is great without thinking past the shiny buttons will come back to bite, but by that time it will be far too late.
Agreed,we are on the same page,the media hype behind the digital world is daunting in many ways and de-evolves in a social way for sure.
Old 20th August 2012
  #35
Gear Addict
 

Sean Parker has significant influence over both Facebook and Spotify. Data sharing could easily, and probably does occur. Data transfer from Spotify to Facebook (for ads, etc.) is not a big deal, but what about from Facebook to Spotify? As major labels own a stake in Spotify, if we assume this buys them information on the listeners, what good or harm could come from your Facebook information being handed over to these parties?

For example, touring routes can be planned with accurate geographic location of listeners. or Spotify habit of listening to a certain band is correlated with Facebook 'likes' of certain TV shows, leading to labels shopping this band's new music to the shows for synch placements. Pretty cool - in this huge and complex market, listeners are connected to bands they like. Mutual benefit.

But can this go too far? Will directors not be given the freedom to choose the best music for their episode, or will labels take even less chances on signing innovative bands because the data doesn't support it? Is it ethical to push recommendations for sad music to users who have changed their Facebook relationship status to "single" after a long-term relationship? Will top 40 become even more controlled because listeners x years old tend to like music at x bpm in the key of x?
Old 20th August 2012
  #36
Lives for gear
 
dan p's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds11 View Post
Sean Parker has significant influence over both Facebook and Spotify. Data sharing could easily, and probably does occur. Data transfer from Spotify to Facebook (for ads, etc.) is not a big deal, but what about from Facebook to Spotify? As major labels own a stake in Spotify, if we assume this buys them information on the listeners, what good or harm could come from your Facebook information being handed over to these parties?

For example, touring routes can be planned with accurate geographic location of listeners. or Spotify habit of listening to a certain band is correlated with Facebook 'likes' of certain TV shows, leading to labels shopping this band's new music to the shows for synch placements. Pretty cool - in this huge and complex market, listeners are connected to bands they like. Mutual benefit.

But can this go too far? Will directors not be given the freedom to choose the best music for their episode, or will labels take even less chances on signing innovative bands because the data doesn't support it? Is it ethical to push recommendations for sad music to users who have changed their Facebook relationship status to "single" after a long-term relationship? Will top 40 become even more controlled because listeners x years old tend to like music at x bpm in the key of x?
Your throw it on the wall and see if it spotify's your wall just right.
Won't work plain and simple.
Music has genre ized so much so very few artists get any real traction for sustainability except the biggest players who have been around and make touring money especially the fair summer concert circuit is where the die hard bands make their money.I personally know a few of them but you don't hear about it much in the big picture.
As for Spotify and facebook I do neither but have a facebook account.
Its like the pet rock in some ways,fun at first but its worn off for me.
As for licensing,seems i do it daily but you don't know me but probably have heard my tracks on TV over the last 20 years.
Just another side of the business you don't have to be a star or signed to a major label.
Old 20th August 2012
  #37
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Personally i think our society is growing sicker and sicker by the day. The attitude that anything "tech" is great without thinking past the shiny buttons will come back to bite, but by that time it will be far too late.
Very true indeed.

I only use Facebook out of necessity, and give away as little information as possible, but in reality that's only one of many privacy concerns, many of which are basically unavoidable.
Old 21st August 2012
  #38
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
in text, irony on aggregate, makes it look like your making an argument for the opposite of what you are. and in terms of AI, taking a measure of attitudes from forum post, irony will turn up the opposite result from your point.
Old 21st August 2012
  #39
Lives for gear
 

I have no idea wtf you guys are talking about. There was no irony in my post. I honestly don't get why people are so paranoid about having their music listening tracked. I have done it voluntarily through last.fm for years now.
Old 23rd August 2012
  #40
Perhaps because it's just one more brick in the wall of complete lack of privacy if you want to use something that it's very difficult not to have to use these days to do business at the very least?
Old 24th August 2012
  #41
Lives for gear
 

I have no idea what that sentence is supposed to mean.

Basically in my opinion, if you want to use Spotify and but you don't want to use Facebook and you're mad that Spotify requires a Facebook account, that's a valid complaint.

If you already use Facebook and you just don't want to have to connect your Facebook info to Spotify, I think that's a pretty silly thing to worry about.

If you use Facebook but you think that Spotify is evil for tracking your listening habits, then that's just flat out crazy. It's illogical to tell one company your real name, where you live, work, went to school, and who your entire network of friends and family is, but then to complain that another company is keeping track of how many times you're secretly listening to Justin Bieber.

In other words, if you use Facebook your personal privacy is already way too far gone to worry about who is watching what music you listen to. And your listening habits could actually be useful information for the music industry, so I don't know why anyone in the music biz forum would oppose it.
Old 24th August 2012
  #42
AyA
Lives for gear
 
AyA's Avatar
 

It's a simple fact that Spotify is colluding with Facebook to data rape you.

This is illegal, immoral and should be punished with public execution.

I urge you to seek out and destroy the people who are collecting your data to use against you. They are raping your soul.

I urge data rapers to come seek me out, I'm hungry, you fat ****s, gorging myself on your pithy, milky fat will satiate me no end.
Old 24th August 2012
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyA View Post
It's a simple fact that Spotify is colluding with Facebook to data rape you.

This is illegal, immoral and should be punished with public execution.

I urge you to seek out and destroy the people who are collecting your data to use against you. They are raping your soul.

I urge data rapers to come seek me out, I'm hungry, you fat ****s, gorging myself on your pithy, milky fat will satiate me no end.
So buy the Spotify premium?
Old 24th August 2012
  #44
AyA
Lives for gear
 
AyA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
So buy the Spotify premium?
How about prosecute both companies boards of directors and share holders. Go through all their books and IP and publish everything for the world to see...

Expose them for the beasts they are...
Old 24th August 2012
  #45
AyA
Lives for gear
 
AyA's Avatar
 

I should warn you corporate assassins. I'm hardwired to explode.
Old 24th August 2012
  #46
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyA View Post
How about prosecute both companies boards of directors and share holders. Go through all their books and IP and publish everything for the world to see...

Expose them for the beasts they are...
Sounds like a plan! Then gorge yourself on them anyway.
Old 24th August 2012
  #47
AyA
Lives for gear
 
AyA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
Sounds like a plan! Then gorge yourself on them anyway.
At the end of the day everyone wins... Including me.


Watch out for the 99%... We may be dumb but we have numbers, kitchen knives and mums.
Old 24th August 2012
  #48
AyA
Lives for gear
 
AyA's Avatar
 

Next stop, banning numbers, kitchen knives and mums.
Old 25th August 2012
  #49
I'm vehemently opposed to Spotify and would not consider using it.

I use Facebook but don't put anything on it I'm not comfortable with having public. And I don't use any FB apps or games.
Old 26th August 2012
  #50
AyA
Lives for gear
 
AyA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I'm vehemently opposed to Spotify and would not consider using it.

I use Facebook but don't put anything on it I'm not comfortable with having public. And I don't use any FB apps or games.
That's okay, I know you and I use FB so I filled all your details in for you... Thank me later.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump