The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is Rihanna in the poor house?
Old 13th August 2012
  #1
Gear Addict
 
Wolf LeProducer's Avatar
 

Is Rihanna in the poor house?

Is Rihanna Broke?! - Amore Magazine
Rihanna's Ex-Accountants -- She Screwed Herself Out of Millions! | TMZ.com



How can she possibly be going broke? She must be bigger than Lady Gag Gag by now..
Old 13th August 2012
  #2
Gear Addict
 
mrfortune's Avatar
 

She can make a couple mill in a month not a bug deal
Old 13th August 2012
  #3
The American Nightmare
Old 13th August 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 

she may be bigger... but if she's not writing songs.... doesnt mean the labels are paying much :P
Old 13th August 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehGuitarist View Post
she may be bigger... but if she's not writing songs.... doesnt mean the labels are paying much :P
She's got plenty of endorsement deals and sponsorships and such. I'm positive her appearance fee is in the upper six figure ballpark as well. I think bad money management may be to blame here... Who knows? hahaha
Old 13th August 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 

She'd be on a 360 deal though... label takes a cut of EVERYTHING, not to mention management...

i'm not intimately familiar with major artist record agreements... but i am quite familiar with major labels and the basics of their contracts with mid level artists... i just honestly wouldnt be surprised if she's on a wage. it might be a big wage... but just because you earn a million bucks a year... doesnt mean you can buy whatever you like and do whatever the hell you feel like.

i mean you pretty much can... but its easy to waste money.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
She's got plenty of endorsement deals and sponsorships and such. I'm positive her appearance fee is in the upper six figure ballpark as well. I think bad money management may be to blame here... Who knows? hahaha
Old 13th August 2012
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
Is Rihanna Broke?! - Amore Magazine
Rihanna's Ex-Accountants -- She Screwed Herself Out of Millions! | TMZ.com



How can she possibly be going broke? She must be bigger than Lady Gag Gag by now..
Hey!

I keep telling you guys - IT COSTS A CRAPLOAD OF MONEY TO TOUR ON A PROFESSIONAL LEVEL!

Most of these big pop productions DON'T BREAK EVEN, so if you don't have the right product placements/tie-ins you lose your shirt.

In most cases TOURING IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR RECORD SALES!

Traditionally, touring was underwritten by record companies as a promotional expense.

Turning it around ass-backwards generally doesn't work.

Of course the pundits who have never been on a real tour in their f-ing lives don't get it......
Old 13th August 2012
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfortune View Post
She can make a couple mill in a month not a bug deal
No, she can't. She can GROSS a couple mil, maybe, but all that money goes right back out to other people*, companies, promoters, unions, hotels, transportation, taxes, insurance, etc.,

Since you've never been on a real tour you have no idea. A typical pop tour like she does has between 100 and 200 people on staff and uses 5- 10 trucks and busses (or more) for transportation.






*crew, dancers, musicians, caterers, management, agents, publicity, you name it!
Old 13th August 2012
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Well she's not the brightest.
really - do people think that of her?

I have to admit - Im not the biggest fan of this girl and her antics. I think she is a terrible role model.
Old 13th August 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Born in Barbados as Robyn Rihanna Fenty, Rihanna has a net-worth of $60 million dollars.

Rihanna Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

And she just pissed off a Nivea endorsement she had and is slamming them in the press. You don't do those things if u need money. The girl is loaded. Everyone in the world is selling homes at short sales and getting less than what they paid for them so the first link is bogus. She may have pissed off millions in second link but that just means she has millions to piss off. Her net worth is still north of $60 million. The article never said she was in any financial difficulty because she's not.
Old 13th August 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
I say we organize a benefit. I'll provide the beer.
Old 13th August 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Yep! Still don't get why she got so overplayed on the radio... I guess the label payed the radio stations a lot. I've never bought any music from her and I wonder why others would, there are much better artists out there!
Hasn't this happen before ???


Old 13th August 2012
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
Trill Trax's Avatar
 

Wow...This is intereting. I honestly wouldn't have expected this from her. She always seems to have billboard records doing well, back to back almost. Not to mention her recent stint in the battlefield movie. Which even though it didnt do as well, it still did enough to bring in some cash.
Old 13th August 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
I was going to post in outrage but.... poor sources guys?

The amore link is all about how she sold her house for less than expected - lol

The TMZ link explains that her accountants think she should have got a better deal... fair play...

Forbes is clear that she is HUGELY RICH though so not sure we're actually debating facts here.....

Full List: The Best-Paid Celebrities Under 30 - Rihanna - Forbes.com
Old 13th August 2012
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Born in Barbados as Robyn Rihanna Fenty, Rihanna has a net-worth of $60 million dollars.

Rihanna Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

And she just pissed off a Nivea endorsement she had and is slamming them in the press. You don't do those things if u need money. The girl is loaded. Everyone in the world is selling homes at short sales and getting less than what they paid for them so the first link is bogus. She may have pissed off millions in second link but that just means she has millions to piss off. Her net worth is still north of $60 million. The article never said she was in any financial difficulty because she's not.
You honestly BELIEVE what you read on a site called "Celebrity Net Worth"?

Really?

Do you believe everything you read in The National Enquirer as well?

Hear on Faux News?
Old 13th August 2012
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
I was going to post in outrage but.... poor sources guys?

The amore link is all about how she sold her house for less than expected - lol

The TMZ link explains that her accountants think she should have got a better deal... fair play...

Forbes is clear that she is HUGELY RICH though so not sure we're actually debating facts here.....

Full List: The Best-Paid Celebrities Under 30 - Rihanna - Forbes.com
Forbes has been notoriously inaccurate concerning finances of people in music recently - they tend to confuse gross cashflow with net income and don't appear to understand the type and magnitude of the expenses involved.

They do better with captains of industry, a subject they actually understand.

The other thing you need to understand it that when you read these statements about the "worth" of stars in mass market publications they're usually sourced from the output of PR flaks, whose job it is to issue "reports" designed to enhance the glamour of the stars they work for.

One of the meanings of the word "glamour" (and in fact one of the oldest, original meanings) is "magical illusion".

BTW, note that the Forbes link says "best PAID" - that's gross cash in, it says nothing about what's left after paying expenses. A typical pop megastar like Rhianna tours with a small army of 100 or more employees, all of whom have to be paid out of her "earnings".
Old 15th August 2012
  #17
Here for the gear
 
Ned Tugent's Avatar
Interesting. We have some mutual industry friends...when it's appropriate I will ask if it's true or not. I am going to assume NOT. People doing a short sale on their home doesn't necessarily mean they are broke. If she has the cash and wants to move, what does she care? The bank has to approve the sale amount anyway. She has a ton of lawyers, too so she probably won't even face a deficiency judgement. People just love to speculate don't they?
Old 15th August 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 

Yes, we do... Hahaha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Gearslutz App
Old 16th August 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
You honestly BELIEVE what you read on a site called "Celebrity Net Worth"?

Really?

Do you believe everything you read in The National Enquirer as well?

Hear on Faux News?
So Forbes, Celebrity Net Worth, not believable.

But Amore Magazine and TMZ believable?

How about this: most **** on the internet, including lunatics on forums who act like they know everything...unbelievable.
Old 16th August 2012
  #20
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
I was going to post in outrage but.... poor sources guys?

The amore link is all about how she sold her house for less than expected - lol
wait, are you saying a respected Celebrity Gossip outlet would put up a 'sensational' teaser headline that turns out to have no substance??


I am so disillusioned now!
Old 16th August 2012
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
So Forbes, Celebrity Net Worth, not believable.

But Amore Magazine and TMZ believable?

How about this: most **** on the internet, including lunatics on forums who act like they know everything...unbelievable.
To make things clear -

I generally don't believe ANYTHING financial about "celebrities" one way or the other that I read in mass market outlets........ BUT, based on the fact that I have actually known a few, coupled with the fact that I've done some arena level touring and have a good idea what kind of expenses are involved, and know a few people around the industry (including a couple of people who are/were high level artist's managers), I KNOW that the figures you see in publications like Forbes and Billboard for what "Artist X" "makes" are based on gross receipts and do not reflect what really ends up in the artist's bank account.

Because the gross receipt figures make great publicity and it's not very glamorous to admit that your top pop idol didn't quite break even on his/her most recent blockbuster tour.

And actually it's pretty obvious to anyone who isn't mathematically challenged and knows anything about the number of people who work a modern pop tour and who bothers to take a pencil and paper and sit down to do the math.

I could speculate as to what I guess the truth is in this case but I have no direct knowledge, so why bother? My gut feeling is that the reality is somewhere between the two extremes.
Old 16th August 2012
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
GaryWeinrib's Avatar
 

yeah, like all rockstars she screwed herself
and Don Arden was a philanthropist too I bet
Old 16th August 2012
  #23
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
...
Attached Thumbnails
Is Rihanna in the poor house?-screw-myself-pr2.jpg  
Old 16th August 2012
  #24
Here for the gear
 
Ned Tugent's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
To make things clear -

I generally don't believe ANYTHING financial about "celebrities" one way or the other that I read in mass market outlets........ BUT, based on the fact that I have actually known a few, coupled with the fact that I've done some arena level touring and have a good idea what kind of expenses are involved, and know a few people around the industry (including a couple of people who are/were high level artist's managers), I KNOW that the figures you see in publications like Forbes and Billboard for what "Artist X" "makes" are based on gross receipts and do not reflect what really ends up in the artist's bank account.

Because the gross receipt figures make great publicity and it's not very glamorous to admit that your top pop idol didn't quite break even on his/her most recent blockbuster tour.

And actually it's pretty obvious to anyone who isn't mathematically challenged and knows anything about the number of people who work a modern pop tour and who bothers to take a pencil and paper and sit down to do the math.

I could speculate as to what I guess the truth is in this case but I have no direct knowledge, so why bother? My gut feeling is that the reality is somewhere between the two extremes.
+1.

The thing I find so funny is these sites don't take liabilities into account. Sure, so and so might have made $5m off of his tour last year but how do we know he doesn't have a $5k a day coke and hooker habit, or a bunch of investment property that's underwater?

Even Forbes has a hard time verifying NW with regard to people who have very public holdings (stocks, stock options, salaries, etc), so how the hell would some mullet wrapper like Celebrity Net Worth know anything about Rhianna's financial situation?
Old 16th August 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
Rhianna herself used to frequent these boards, perhaps she'll chip in... but she hasnt been here for a while, all the abuse she got from the bedroom-studio noobs probably put her off
Old 16th August 2012
  #26
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
Rhianna herself used to frequent these boards
got a link?
Old 16th August 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
got a link?
She was trying to explain about analog compression on the snare and how this was the secret to the run-DMC sound that she liked and used as inspiration in her tracks... she posted a youtube tutorial i think that she wanted people to check out... but did the kids listen, no! All they did was bang on about waves plugins, how cracked software was stickin it to the man, and how the old was irrelevant now. She tried to reason with and was then subject to a wave of emoticon-based abuse, some even used caps lock. The audacity!

This was in the good old days when bob olhsson, riri, me and your good self could debate pre-amps in peace.

I cant find the thread right now but you should use the search function and post the link when you find it.
Old 17th August 2012
  #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Tugent View Post
+1.

The thing I find so funny is these sites don't take liabilities into account. Sure, so and so might have made $5m off of his tour last year but how do we know he doesn't have a $5k a day coke and hooker habit, or a bunch of investment property that's underwater?

Even Forbes has a hard time verifying NW with regard to people who have very public holdings (stocks, stock options, salaries, etc), so how the hell would some mullet wrapper like Celebrity Net Worth know anything about Rhianna's financial situation?
It doesn't take stupid expenditures to not make much money.

For a big pop extravaganza tour think about the cost of paying, feeding, lodging, and transporting the following:

25 dancers
15 musicians
12 band techs
10 lighting guys
6 sound guys
10 riggers
5 general stage hands for props and stuff
5 assorted costume and makeup people
2 pyro techs
8 drivers
1 tour manager

And that's not including the cost of the local union guys from IATSE and the Teamsters, without whom shows do not go on in major venues in most US cities. I have seen a local union crew hold a show hostage for an extra $10,000 shakedown. There's not much you can do if they pull something like that because if you cancel the show you're not only liable for ticket costs, you also have to pat the venue fees and salaries of everyone involved with no income.

Plus the cost of leasing the sound, lighting, and video systems.

And it doesn't include insurance, which is a considerable expense.

And then there's the promoters' cuts, taken off the top of each gig, the cost of the venue, management, booking, and promo.

If there's a custom stage involved you can add a crew of stage carpenters.

If the show is really extravagant and difficult to stage so that it requires two separate rigs leapfrogging cities you can double the stage, sound, lighting, video, and rigging expenses and the transportation, food, lodging, and payroll for everybody but the onstage talent and show (as opposed to set-up) crew. You can also add a few extra sound and lighting techs for the set-up.

You can tear through $50, even $100 mil pretty damn easy.

Forbes doesn't tell you about that part of it.
Old 17th August 2012
  #29
Lives for gear
She made 52 mil after everybody got paid last year!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Old 17th August 2012
  #30
Audio X
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
Rhianna herself used to frequent these boards, ...
Paul Stanely himself still frequents these boards .. and he's a much bigger celeb .. just sayin.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump