The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
You don't want a manager.
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

You don't want a manager.

I picked up a manager 8 months ago, I figured somebody to handle the paper work, close deals and be the money buffer between the clients and myself.

I was getting ready to close two medium sized production deals, I asked my manager to call both artist and close the deals. I laid the ground work meetings, contracts ect... All that was needed was my manager to call, seal the deal and setup deposits. For this I would pay $500.00 commission per artist.

It didn't happen manager disappeared for two months and thanks to Fackbook I was able to get updates on my managers activities, flying around drinking having fun in the summer..

I just received an e-mail asking for payment on a deal I closed 6 months ago, the burning question is??? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? Answer... Nothing.

What does it take to get good help? I was willing to pay!
Old 8th August 2012
Gear Addict

Thank you so much for your post. I wanted a manager, until I read this thread.. Now, with the help of your insight, I've decided, "actually, I don't want a manager.
Old 8th August 2012
Lives for gear

My manager made more money off me than I did when I had one.
Old 9th August 2012
Lives for gear

Yes, I always thought a manager would help to not only be a buffer between the client and I (when it came to money affairs), but somebody to qualify me to clients in a non boasting way.

Perhaps the manager would see that all paperwork is completed correctly, invoice, contracts... and occasionally fin new gigs. NO, NO AND NO
Old 9th August 2012
Not all managers are created equal.
Old 10th August 2012
Hmm, this seems to echo a thread in another forum.

First off, did you get a nonperformance clause written into your contract with said "manager". Because if you didn't then you just experienced a prime example of why I tell everybody entering into business relationships in this industry that the first thing you need is a (good) lawyer (with references) so you don't get yourself into these situations out of ignorance.

Second, did you check out this "manager" before entering into the relationship? Did you get references?

The upshot is this - it's not that one shouldn't get a manager - a manager can be very useful in some ways, in some circumstances. It's that you should vet anyone you enter into a business relationship with very carefully and make sure they can do the job you need done - and that they're honest.

You shouldn't get a BAD manager - or a bad anyone else.
Old 10th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowood101 View Post
Not all managers are created equal.
Exactly.
There are managers and then there are managers.
I had one that gave me great advice, found me gigs and made me more money than I could have made on my own.
But the advice and help with contracts was worth the price of admission alone.
Old 10th August 2012
Here for the gear

Any band doing a lot of work needs one whether they like it or not.

The selection process is key and helping them to understand your expectations of them.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Gearslutz App
Old 10th August 2012
Gear Head

Old 10th August 2012
You've got to manage your manager!
Old 10th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysC View Post
Yeah, we all know what Albini has to say. It's easy for a guy to give advice to do it all yourself when he's already famous and have all the contacts and experience he needs.

Albini has given bad advice to a lot of young artists
Old 10th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Yeah, we all know what Albini has to say. It's easy for a guy to give advice to do it all yourself when he's already famous and have all the contacts and experience he needs.

Albini has given bad advice to a lot of young artists
Yessir. That's truth.
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

Think about the type of person who is attracted to the idea of making a living as a manager--making up bull****, cutting deals, smoking cigars, being a 'big shot' without actually producing any of the product themselves. It takes an extraordinarily sad human being.
Old 15th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
Think about the type of person who is attracted to the idea of making a living as a manager--making up bull****, cutting deals, smoking cigars, being a 'big shot' without actually producing any of the product themselves. It takes an extraordinarily sad human being.
How many actual managers do you know?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search