All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Has image overtaken music?
Old 28th July 2012
Gear Guru

Has image overtaken music?

Very good read:

Has image overtaken music? - CNN.com

Quote:
"They want to be famous, not make music," says Lyndsey Parker, managing editor of Yahoo! Music, of some of the new breed. "The music is just one facet of the celebrity."
Old 28th July 2012
Lives for gear

Haven't read the article, but would venture a "yes". In fact the term "music video" has never made sense to me. Seeing someone else's visualization of sound often spoils the whole thing for me, in truth.
Old 28th July 2012
Gear Nut

Yupp, great read. Inspiring in some respects as well. Thanks.
Old 28th July 2012

Yes.

And it happened about 60 years ago.
Old 28th July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
old old old story... monkees, bay city rollers, leif garret... Mtv! this is one of the oldest stories circulated about the biz... and yet there are still Zeppelins, Nirvana's, Mumford & Sons, etc...
Old 28th July 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
old old old story... monkees, bay city rollers, leif garret... Mtv! this is one of the oldest stories circulated about the biz... and yet there are still Zeppelins, Nirvana's, Mumford & Sons, etc...
Mumford & Sons in the same breath as Zeppelin and Nirvana?
Old 28th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickiks View Post
Mumford & Sons in the same breath as Zeppelin and Nirvana?
it's possible. But you need to hold your nose and not move around too much.
Old 28th July 2012
Gear Nut

No, it's tattoos. You can get away with being Lyle Lovett but you can't get away with 100% pink skin.
Old 29th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Yes.

And it happened about 60 years ago.
I don't necessarily agree. I can agree that in the past, an artist or bands fame may have been disproportionate to their talent and thus their image may have been a huge part of their appeal. They were still decent to good musicians.

However, in the last 5 years or so, we are seeing more and more artists with very little artistic talent becoming the most important people in the industry, purely due to the image behind them. It's not a fact of liking them or not, I can think of plenty of artists who can't even be compared musically to their peers as nobody cares about their music. In certain cases, many of these artists are rarely even discussed in the context of music itself, only in the context of pop culture.

I personally cannot think of an artist before, say 2000, that had fans who will say something to the extent of "Well, I am not really a fan of their music". Their own fans don't particularly care about the musical aspect of a "musician", to me, that a bit newer than, say the 60's.
Old 30th July 2012
Motown legend

There once were both image hits and hits for engaged listeners. The latter have been fewer and fewer in recent years. I don't buy that it's one or the other. It's just that we've lost most of the live music experience that used to engage listeners.
Old 30th July 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
we've lost most of the live music experience that used to engage listeners.
^^^
This!
Old 30th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
There once were both image hits and hits for engaged listeners. The latter have been fewer and fewer in recent years. I don't buy that it's one or the other. It's just that we've lost most of the live music experience that used to engage listeners.
yeah. Every situation is a mix of circumstances. There's always product for listeners and product for poser worshipers, and sometimes the two are one. It's a matter of percentage split.
Old 14th August 2012
Kas
Gear Maniac

Has image overtaken music? Ask Elvis' swiveling hips. Then ask Gene Vincent why he don't swivel like Elvis. Image has been a part of the scene since day Uno.
Old 14th August 2012
Yes, even in the "underground" rock scene.
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

Yes ,

Obviously in the past there were Image makers who served up cookie cutter -formulaic monkey- see monkey-do tripe . But it was balanced with folks who rose from the unknown to become famous with the ability to convey emotion through their music like no other .

Have you ever wondered whether Janis Joplin would get anywhere in the current environment ???

It is indeed , a race to the middle ......

Quote:
Why is that? It’s simple. Follow the money.

As margins and overall revenues hemorrhage and stores stock less music merchandise, there are jobs on the line. There’s less room for error and thus less room for risky investment (read: different-sounding content). Just like start-ups approaching investors, artists increasingly need to come to the table with more development or established fan bases. In VC parlance, this is de-risking the situation. The closer to the mean – what is currently playing on radio or selling well online/in stores – the less theoretical risk is at hand.
from...
SoundCtrl – Guest Post: DeVon Harris – “Race to the Middle”
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

P.S. ;

There is of course a segment of the entertainment buisness that consist more of musical theater ... a combination of fashion show and musical performance ..

Different strokes for different folks...

Old 15th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas View Post
Has image overtaken music? Ask Elvis' swiveling hips. Then ask Gene Vincent why he don't swivel like Elvis.
Badly healed broken leg.
Old 15th August 2012
Image has always been a big part of popular music, right back through vaudeville to the traveling minstrel shows to the troubadours.

Gram Parsons and Porter Waggoner in their Nudie suits.

Bo Diddley.

Little Richard.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

Jimi Hendrix.

Alice Cooper.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search