The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
"70% of all music piracy happens offline"
Old 27th July 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

"70% of all music piracy happens offline"

Any thoughts on this article?

Ed

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/perm...medium=twitter
Old 27th July 2012
  #2
The subject: Music piracy is 100% verboten in this forum.

See sticky above.
Old 27th July 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

ummm.... ok then.
Old 28th July 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Tom Higgins's Avatar
My thoughts: Well, I find that surprising...

Now, hush!
Old 28th July 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Red Black's Avatar
What if we write in invisible ink?
Old 28th July 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 

If we quit disussing it , it'll go away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29th July 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

yeah, that seems like a really helpful and progressive attitude to tackle the issue
Old 30th July 2012
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
it's bonk.
Old 30th July 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 

You're right. It's from the RIAA.
Old 5th August 2012
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
You're right. It's from the RIAA.
Finally we agree on something.
Old 6th August 2012
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

I like dates
Old 10th August 2012
  #12
It's nonsense. Whoever made it up was smoking crack.
Old 10th August 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
I don't doubt that the claim may be accurate, or close. I've always suspected that most, or at least half unpaid music transfer occurs offline. But, on what empirical data do they base their conclusion? The article is popular press stuff, not study findings. More internet BS. The internet has slathered more horse manure information across an entire planet than anything else in history. I'm sick to death of seeing Wikipedia sourced in paper bibliographies. Straight to the trash with all of that.

That said, I can personally attest to the fact that 10 young people will get together and draw up a list of new 10 songs they want. Each will legit-download one, and then they share the entire compilation with everyone in the group. This is very common practice. That's more like 90% of file sharing occurring off line.

Anyway, I guess this discussion is off line.
Old 10th August 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
login's Avatar
Haven't you been to Mexico, China, Taiwan or any other country with abundant physical piracy?
Old 11th August 2012
  #15
What got me was that the largest sector was allegedly hard drive trading. That's very difficult to believe, and besides, where do those songs on the hard drives come from?

I believe the whole thing was made up.
Old 11th August 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
freetard's Avatar
 

This is also how Ms. Emily White got her music collection. I really don't think this is that uncommon at the high school and college levels. You know, have a sleep over with some of your friends, bring your laptops and leave with 200,000 new songs and a massive hangover. A LAN is usually much faster than an Internet connection.

Downloading from the Internet is the more nerdy way of doing it I would think. If anything, you just ask your nerdy friend to pimp your iPod with a bunch of music. You really think the average teenager knows what BitTorrent is?

But I didn't do studies on it, and it is the RIAA. So it could be BS.
Old 11th August 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Never heard of "digital music news" website... Therefore you have to take into account it could be agenda based nonsense.

How about this one?

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...4676183.column
Old 11th August 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Red Black's Avatar
I'm confused by the comments on this thread . . did everyone read the article?

The data was part of an internal RIAA presentation . . it was leaked out and then published by the usual anti-copyright sites (torrentfreak, techdirt etc.) and also by DMN. It's the leaked presentation that is the the focus of the article.

If anything the RIAA would not want that presentation out there because it appears to weaken their aggressive stance and legislation demands towards on-line copyright infringement if it can be shown that the off-line file infringement is actually a far greater problem. Hence why Torrentfreak is all over it.

The data itself is from NPD group (as stated clearly in the article and on the slide itself) and hasn't been published before. Here's the press release from the NPD group: https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/u...ases/pr_120306

I'm not discussing piracy here though, I guess I'm discussing reading comprehension! How boring I'm becoming in my old age . . .

:]
Old 11th August 2012
  #19
I absolutely refuse to discuss piracy, or get drawn into it surreptitiously in any way/shape/form/or by means yet to be invented, but I will talk about human nature. There's a natural gregariousness to friendship that sometimes supersedes the protocols that govern much of daily life. School marms the world over cringe at this. Tough!
Old 11th August 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
If anything the RIAA would not want that presentation out there because it appears to weaken their aggressive stance and legislation demands towards on-line copyright infringement if it can be shown that the off-line file infringement is actually a far greater problem. Hence why Torrentfreak is all over it.
O.K., so were not supposed to talk about pirates here ; Can we talk about "SUPERPIRATES "????

There are lots of folks who are "distributors " downstream. Just cause you got a song from a Friend who passed you a USB flash drive to copy from instead of DL'ing on line your self doesn't really change the nature of the problem , does it ?? Isn't it the speed at which digital copies can be produced that makes even a single unauthorized file hosting all the more dangerous ??

Just a quirk in the epidemiology , not a free pass like freehadist would obviously like it to be .




Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
I guess I'm discussing reading comprehension!.
Please don't bring up my shortcomings in public like that again !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
How boring I'm becoming in my old age . . .

Welcome to the club !! Boring and reasonable.... It's over for us !!!
Old 11th August 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 

70% of driving fatalities aren't alcohol related, so drinking and driving is not really much of a problem.

Old 11th August 2012
  #22
Not as much as it should be!
Old 13th August 2012
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
I'm confused by the comments on this thread . . did everyone read the article?

The data was part of an internal RIAA presentation . . it was leaked out and then published by the usual anti-copyright sites (torrentfreak, techdirt etc.) and also by DMN. It's the leaked presentation that is the the focus of the article.

If anything the RIAA would not want that presentation out there because it appears to weaken their aggressive stance and legislation demands towards on-line copyright infringement if it can be shown that the off-line file infringement is actually a far greater problem. Hence why Torrentfreak is all over it.

The data itself is from NPD group (as stated clearly in the article and on the slide itself) and hasn't been published before. Here's the press release from the NPD group: https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/u...ases/pr_120306

I'm not discussing piracy here though, I guess I'm discussing reading comprehension! How boring I'm becoming in my old age . . .

:]
And your point is - what, exactly.

Yeah, I got it the first time that it was from an internal RIAA presentation - so what? It's not like the RIAA hasn't got a lot of things wrong before.
Old 13th August 2012
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Red Black's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
And your point is - what, exactly.

Yeah, I got it the first time that it was from an internal RIAA presentation - so what? It's not like the RIAA hasn't got a lot of things wrong before.
Again, the RIAA was not the source of the data. If you want to question the validity of the data then question NPD.

My point was that many comments on this thread seem to be reacting to the headline itself instead of the content of the article . . . when you read the thread you get the sense people were maybe too eager to to comment on how they felt about the headline instead of the details of the article and as such the discussion makes little sense.

It's like someone looking through the wrong end of a telescope and telling you what they imagine they see . . it may be interesting to them but because it's not based on anything tangible it's a pointless exercise in my eyes . .

I don't really wanna quote individual people and critique their posts though . . that'd be lame! :]


Peace

RB
Old 13th August 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
and as such the discussion makes little sense.



SNAFU
Old 13th August 2012
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
Again, the RIAA was not the source of the data. If you want to question the validity of the data then question NPD.

My point was that many comments on this thread seem to be reacting to the headline itself instead of the content of the article . . . when you read the thread you get the sense people were maybe too eager to to comment on how they felt about the headline instead of the details of the article and as such the discussion makes little sense.

It's like someone looking through the wrong end of a telescope and telling you what they imagine they see . . it may be interesting to them but because it's not based on anything tangible it's a pointless exercise in my eyes . .

I don't really wanna quote individual people and critique their posts though . . that'd be lame! :]


Peace

RB
So where's the NPD paper (not the press release)?
Old 13th August 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
70% of driving fatalities aren't alcohol related, so drinking and driving is not really much of a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Not as much as it should be!
You're saying that there should be more drinking and driving?
Old 13th August 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Red Black's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
So where's the NPD paper (not the press release)?
You can contact them here but I imagine you'd have to pay for the data . .

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/u...tnpd/contactus


Cheers!
Old 13th August 2012
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
You're saying that there should be more drinking and driving?
You know it! Not necessarily at the same time...
Old 16th August 2012
  #30
The only serious problem with drinking and driving is that it also kills and maims totally innocent people. Otherwise I'd say it's simply Darwinian evolution in action.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump