The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Music Industry Versus the Internet.
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

The Music Industry Versus the Internet.

I came across this informative article by Bruce Warlia today which I thought would be useful for others.

The Music Industry versus The

I like where he is coming from and I like his ideas about securing revenue by selling music as a service for companies wanting to spice up their presence online.

I'm all for finding other revenue streams to make up for decling record sales.
Old 24th July 2012
Well I agree, it's time to move the conversation on to positive alternatives to giving away your music, somewhat unwillingly.
Old 24th July 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

Like products worth buying?

Music is one thing. A quality print or pressing or copy or whatever which includes good credits, maybe lyrics if you have them and photographs. At least one good album cover. Artwork is very important to branding music and enjoying it. I like collecting covers as well as the music inside the box...

Go out and produce something worth selling. Then people will buy it.
Old 24th July 2012
Gear Addict

Its got to be more than music now. It has to be the whole package. The music, the video, the clothing line, the live shows...

Its extremely complicated!

Last edited by Wolf LeProducer; 24th July 2012 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: I have edited this post for a reason
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

I think it has to be even more than that. All of those revenue streams are business (band) to consumer (music lover).

As well as exploiting all of those b2c opportunities I think we need to find b2b opportunities. IE bands selling services to other business where the music, bands image, coolness factor etc helps that business to get people's attention, gives them st cred, helps their brand etc.

For example, questlove the drummer from the roots performs DJ sets for Nike and has collaborated in designing shoes for Nike. These revenue streams might have been un heard of in the label glory days.
Old 24th July 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntk drummer View Post
I think it has to be even more than that. All of those revenue streams are business (band) to consumer (music lover).

As well as exploiting all of those b2c opportunities I think we need to find b2b opportunities. IE bands selling services to other business where the music, bands image, coolness factor etc helps that business to get people's attention, gives them st cred, helps their brand etc.

For example, questlove the drummer from the roots performs DJ sets for Nike and has collaborated in designing shoes for Nike. These revenue streams might have been un heard of in the label glory days.
Mate... I 100% agree with you here as well. I just left this out of my post...

Its so complicated, its so multi-faceted. There are so many parts to it. I'm still learning.. we all are
Old 24th July 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

Quote:

Something to be said when a drummer earns for making shoes...
And not even making them, just designing them for the sweatshops.

Kind of makes me want a Questlove original pair of shoes, not just copies or even his personal shoes. Ones he made himself. He's got stacks of rhythm, I'm sure he rides a sewing machine like a boss.
Old 24th July 2012
Quote:
But if he wasn't a star in a popular band he'd be doing neither.
Old 24th July 2012
it's NOT the music industry versus the internet, but that's how Google and Tech will frame it.

in reality it is Creators versus Exploiters, which is not new.

this time it just happens to be online, because that's where the crooks can get away with it (for the time being).

http://adland.tv/content/kim-dotcom-...lessig-edition
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
it's NOT the music industry versus the internet, but that's how Google and Tech will frame it.

in reality it is Creators versus Exploiters, which is not new.

this time it just happens to be online, because that's where the crooks can get away with it (for the time being).

http://adland.tv/content/kim-dotcom-...lessig-edition

Quote:
The technology coming down the pike will eclipse anything that we have experienced to date. The technology will have one function -- to use, in as many ways as possible, the work that creators have dedicated their lives to creating.
And if the history has taught us anything, it is that since the 1908 Copyright Law was put into place, users of music have done everything in their power to avoid paying creators for their music.

Ralph Murphy
Old 24th July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfinger View Post
<stuff>
that's one opinion... follow the money, stop the money, stop the crime.

Artists, Know Thy Enemy – Who’s Ripping You Off and How… | The Trichordist

Wall Of Shame : BMW Willing to “Drive” Without License | The Trichordist

google has the right idea in the wrong direction

this gets solved from the top down, not the bottom up...

Google’s Guide to RICO
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Rack, I take it that you don't agree with Bruce's opinion that illegal mp3 downloading will fizzle out in the coming years?
Old 25th July 2012
Gear Maniac

no that the box of Pamdora has truly been bursted open, how is it to be put back inside? Is the similar things going to happen to books as peoples increasingly carry foldup digital container packages that fits into their back pockets.
Information is now useless for moneys unless it cant be found so we either need to hide our information to increase the values or only makes the physical product. None really wants physical producats unless its cars, candies, mind alterings.

Music has losted all the magic but people still buy dvdds of ufo videos and goe to the movies
Old 25th July 2012
Quote:
Rack, I take it that you don't agree with Bruce's opinion that illegal mp3 downloading will fizzle out in the coming years?
this is about a lot more than mp3s. it's about all content that can be digitally distributed and illegally monetized without licenses. so, no, I don't agree with Bruce... and what Bruce is suggesting is not collective licensing, but rather FORCED collectivism, which is different.

right NOW the pirates have collective licenses that they can use to pay under stat rates to the songwriters and publishers of every song of $.091, and are there any that are actually using that compulsory license? No.

The issue is not in collective licensing.
Old 25th July 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

Software is nothing without hardware. Mp3s are nothing without codecs and players...
Old 25th July 2012
It's high time we all evolved into the era of virtualware. How or if that's possible...
Old 25th July 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

Calling for evolution is as dumb as asking for luck or predicting karma...

Make some virtualware, be cool using it... Sell virtualware.

That's all you can do...
Old 25th July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyA View Post
Calling for evolution ...
I didn't mean that personally, stop being so sensitive!!!
Old 25th July 2012
Quote:
Software is nothing without hardware. Mp3s are nothing without codecs and players...
you've got that backwards.
Old 25th July 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
you've got that backwards.
Do I?

I'm not making money off either or trying to make money off either...

Who is making the money?
Who wants the money?
Where is the money coming from?

Look at the money... Look past your own desires for money and look at where it's all coming from and going to and then a) you'll get some for yourself and b) you'll realise that every time cash changes hands something is done. Do something if you want some cash.

I dislike the ownership of intellectual property in all respects. You can't own a melody you can't own a rhythm you can't own a story you can't own a series of 1's and 0's... It's bull****.

To answer some rhetorical questions contained within. Who wants the money is you and everyone else, who pays is you and everyone else and where it goes is to people who do things for other people.

The morality of doing things is another discussion.
Old 25th July 2012
Why can't, in an age of desktop scanners and color printers, we just very simply and easily make our own money?

We'd all need scissors, too...
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do I?

Who is making the money?
Who wants the money?

Look at the money... Look past your own desires for money and look at where it's all coming from and going to and then a) you'll get some for yourself and b) you'll realise that every time cash changes hands something is done. Do something if you want some cash.

I dislike the ownership of intellectual property in all respects. You can't own a melody you can't own a rhythm you can't own a story you can't own a series of 1's and 0's... It's bull****.

To answer some rhetorical questions contained within. Who wants the money is you and everyone else, who pays is you and everyone else and where it goes is to people who do things for other people.

SO what about the barter system , is that O.K. ?? What if I trade some coconuts to have the village story teller entertain me with one of his tales ?? What about symbiosis ?? I scratch his back , he scratches mine ...

I honestly don't understand ( unless it's hyperbole on your part ) How statements like the bold ones from the quotes of your make sense ; Don't you think someone who uses their time creating some sort of original work should be re numerated in some fashion ?? Beyond art for arts sake ( done by people with trust funds or royal sponsorship ??) why can't artisans not be starving artist ??

Why would folks write a 500 page novel ever again if there is no chance of rewards for doing so ?? Are you totally rejecting that aspect of copywrite law ?? Can't recognize the idea behind it was to encourage more creation of art ???

I'm not a Luddite and am not a sufferer of technophobia , I like change and would get bored without it ; but I think we should examine whether it's change for the better or change for the sake of change... don't throw the baby out with the bath water and don't be a rebel without a cause!

Fill me in please . Am I missing something here , no ????
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Why can't, in an age of desktop scanners and color printers, we just very simply and easily make our own money?

We'd all need scissors, too...

Much better don't you think !!!!!

Old 25th July 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

In reply to Mr. Fingers.

Firstly, I should start all statements with I'm not yet thirty but not far off it I'm overweight and I'm doing all this from my Mothers home and on my Mothers computer and I'm trolling.

Secondly, I don't think we need to get rid of the money system because it makes things easier. I like things that make things easier. I also don't think we should just ignore copywite totally I just don't think any monopoly on anything is ever good.

If you find people making money by collating works, repackaging them and selling them then they should be taxed and spend the money on parks. Zoos should be made illegal and replaced with interactive cinemas. Parks should be populated with wild animals.

If you make or create a story and you package that and you sell it to someone then good on you, that money you got for the sale is great. You earned it.

If you want to be a company that sells packaged art on mass to people and you don't want to pay the huge park fees then you need to pay your artists and suppliers of work fairly. Committees made up of representatives of both sides can agree on whats a fair price.

When you sell your art to a company which is going to sell it on then make sure your getting a fair price for your works. If your work is constantly getting stolen then find a new package... Security is your responsibility first.

Have I covered everything?
Old 25th July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfinger View Post

Much better don't you think !!!!!

Looks like you're planning on alot of slicing, there...
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
In reply to Mr. Fingers.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Have I covered everything?

I think you left out how to establish whirled peas , but thats a tough one !!!!

Thanks for your reply !

Old 25th July 2012
Quote:
Do I?

Who is making the money?
Who wants the money?

distribution is meaningless without content.

distribution does not exist without content.

there is no business in empty warehouses.

same on line, there is no business in empty pipes.

content is driving the advertising.

without the content there is no advertising.

without the advertising there is no revenue.

without the revenue there is no business.

got it?

http://thetrichordist.wordpress.com/...thout-license/
Old 25th July 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

Your content is meaningless.
And you post a **** load of it here on the sluts forums...

Should you get a slice of their advertising income?

If you become important to their business model you'll get payed, if they can get payed by endlessly bumping your posts without paying you then you should have the right to seek a slice of that income or ask they stop doing it. Otherwise it hurts no one...

And honestly it's not going to happen.
Old 25th July 2012
Eat
Lives for gear

face it, technology f*cked all in the a**. find another line of work
Old 25th July 2012
Quote:
Your content is meaningless.
if it's meaningless than why is there such resistance to removing it from illegal sites? because they would be meaningless without that content.

there's plenty of free content in the world, but everyone wants the stuff that is not free, for free... why is that?

Quote:
And you post a **** load of it here on the sluts forums...

Should you get a slice of their advertising income?
I have free will and free agency to post here, it's my choice. If I had the same choice to participate OR NOT on the other sites where my content is being monetized without my permission we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Do you understand the word, "consent."

FAIL.

Quote:
If you become important to their business model you'll get payed, if they can get payed by endlessly bumping your posts without paying you then you should have the right to seek a slice of that income or ask they stop doing it. Otherwise it hurts no one...

And honestly it's not going to happen.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Please try to clarify your thought / statement / point.

how are the artists on this record getting paid from the money BMW and Equifax are spending on the illegal site?

Wall Of Shame : BMW Willing to “Drive” Without License | The Trichordist
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search