The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Music Industry Versus the Internet. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th August 2012
  #511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
if anything, john had made an equivalence from the punk band cutting a single in a back alley studio and the modern day band...one man or group...to produce their own, depending on skill, more than adequately listenable songs. dare i say even way better sounding than the back alley produced ones.
Well, one thing to remember is those punk bands were all at least working with an experienced engineer, and some with a producer as well. And some of those records didn't sound all that great - generally audio quality was proportional to the experience of the people working on the record with the band.
Old 28th August 2012
  #512
Eat
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
And some of those records didn't sound all that great - generally audio quality was proportional to the experience of the people working on the record with the band.
as you well know john, it WAS all about the music... not the productionheh
Old 28th August 2012
  #513
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Even given top quality gear, the average person has as much chance of making a world class album as I do of spinning through the air like Gabby Douglas if I buy a gymnastics set.

It takes more than gear. It takes talent, experience and practice. And help working for someone who knows what he's doing and has done it for years is generally instrumental in achieving that.
True, and even if he does write a hit album, it takes a lot of help from other people to get you on top. No man is an island.
Old 28th August 2012
  #514
Eat
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted View Post
True, and even if he does write a hit album, it takes a lot of help from other people to get you on top. No man is an island.
ah.. you didn't build it yourself.. you had help!
Old 28th August 2012
  #515
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
ah.. you didn't build it yourself.. you had help!
HEY!

The government has never helped me in my life. I'd have to pretend I'm a poor disabled obese minority to get that.
Old 29th August 2012
  #516
Lives for gear
 
AwwDeOhh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted View Post
HEY!

The government has never helped me in my life. I'd have to pretend I'm a poor disabled obese minority to get that.
i'm sure you never ventured out onto the roadways, or got an education, or had a run-in (on either side...) with the police, ect. ect. ect.
Old 29th August 2012
  #517
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
i'm sure you never ventured out onto the roadways, or got an education, or had a run-in (on either side...) with the police, ect. ect. ect.
I paid for my own education, and I've never been arrested.

The roads are what my TAXES pay for. Do you pay taxes AwwDeOhh?
Old 29th August 2012
  #518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
as you well know john, it WAS all about the music... not the productionheh
Yes, it was. Which was my point, that anybody could put out a record then, just like now...... And that if it was well done, it might even make the Top 40 charts, which is damn near impossible now.

My friends in Oklahoma who had a regional hit didn't have fancy production the way you might think of it, but they did have a good clean recording (tracked live to 3-track) of a good, well-written song that was well rehearsed and well played. In 1966.
Old 29th August 2012
  #519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted View Post
I paid for my own education
Who trained your teachers.

Quote:
The roads are what my TAXES pay for.
Taxes go to government, not directly to the roads authority. So yes, by taxing you and distributing those funds to various bodies, the government have helped you .... with roads, large scale infrastructure, defence, fire service, police, environment etc, etc....
Old 29th August 2012
  #520
Eat
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Yes, it was. Which was my point, that anybody could put out a record then, just like now...... And that if it was well done, it might even make the Top 40 charts, which is damn near impossible now.
absolutely *99.99% . i too said as much in another post



* "Mr Souse', I was a perfect idiot to ever listen to you!"

"Now you listen to me, Og! There is nothing in this world that is perfect."
Old 29th August 2012
  #521
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Who trained your teachers.



Taxes go to government, not directly to the roads authority. So yes, by taxing you and distributing those funds to various bodies, the government have helped you .... with roads, large scale infrastructure, defence, fire service, police, environment etc, etc....
Exactly. Paid for by my taxes. But don't insult my intelligence
by saying my raw talent has anything to do with government.
Old 29th August 2012
  #522
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
with roads, large scale infrastructure, defence, fire service, police, environment etc, etc....
Isn't all of this already privatized in England ? lol......
Old 29th August 2012
  #523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
absolutely *99.99% . i too said as much in another post



* "Mr Souse', I was a perfect idiot to ever listen to you!"

"Now you listen to me, Og! There is nothing in this world that is perfect."
What are you babbling about? I make no sense out of what you're saying and seriously doubt that you understood anything I said.
Old 29th August 2012
  #524
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosted View Post
exactly. Paid for by my taxes. But don't insult my intelligence
by saying my raw talent has anything to do with government.
whaaaat?
Old 29th August 2012
  #525
Eat
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
What are you babbling about? I make no sense out of what you're saying and seriously doubt that you understood anything I said.
whazzamadda... not a wc fields-phile?
Old 29th August 2012
  #526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
whazzamadda... not a wc fields-phile?
AAh! Context is everything. Although I really don't get what your quote has to do with this context.
Old 29th August 2012
  #527
Eat
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
AAh! Context is everything. Although I really don't get what your quote has to do with this context.
i agreed with you 99.99%, because 'og, there is nothing in this world that is perfect' (not 100%)

capisce
Old 29th August 2012
  #528
Lives for gear
 
AwwDeOhh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted View Post
I paid for my own education, and I've never been arrested.
i'm soo proud!

Quote:
The roads are what my TAXES pay for. Do you pay taxes AwwDeOhh?
i don't live in your Asshole (Re your profile location) so, no... i don't pay an ass tax.
Old 29th August 2012
  #529
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
i'm soo proud!

i don't live in your Asshole (Re your profile location) so, no... i don't pay an ass tax.
You got it wrong, I'm living in your asshole.

<DELETED BY MODERATOR>

But seriously, I capitalized on my talent and built my business by myself, the government didn't build my studio, my government didn't find my clients. I built it myself.
Old 29th August 2012
  #530
Lives for gear
 
AwwDeOhh's Avatar
 

Same here. You're missing the point though.

don't know if it's even worth my time to explain it, as i think you may be just being a smartash
Old 29th August 2012
  #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted View Post
You got it wrong, I'm living in your asshole.

Under Obama everyone will soon have to pay ass tax.

But seriously, I capitalized on my talent and built my business by myself, the government didn't build my studio, my government didn't find my clients. I built it myself.
interesting response given...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted View Post
True, and even if he does write a hit album, it takes a lot of help from other people to get you on top. No man is an island.
No man is an Island, indeed...
Old 29th August 2012
  #532
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
No man is an Island, indeed...
Yes, other interdependent business helped me. NOT the government.
Old 30th August 2012
  #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted View Post
Yes, other interdependent business helped me. NOT the government.
we're none of them ever helped by the government either... I can't see anyone being truly independent in the USA or any other Western industrialized country.

if you want to be truly independent go off the grid...
Old 30th August 2012
  #534
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
No man is an Island, indeed...
But Chris Blackwell used to be.....
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
dj_who / So Much Gear, So Little Time
25
ninjaneer / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
4
Eric Greedy / Mastering Forum
34
j-uk / Music Computers
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump