The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Guest Post: Jay Frank on NPR's Emily White Vs. David Lowery
Old 23rd July 2012
Old 23rd July 2012
Eat
Lives for gear

whats the sitch? this emily chick a babe or not?
Old 24th July 2012
dunno haven't seen photos

probably not the same one...
::emily[dash]white[dot]com::

Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting the article, Murray...

As a member of the "geezer generation" I don't have any moral ambiguity on the piracy issue...it's stealing and the offenders should be dealt with to the fullest extent of criminal and civil law.

Like a lot of people my age, I was "raised on radio", and eventually became a Top 40 DJ myself. And as both a listener and and as a DJ I appreciated the "filter effect" provided by Top 40 radio that Jay Frank alluded to. Even though as a listener I was aware of payola and some of the other ills that afflicted "the business", I felt like radio was giving me "the best of the best", a belief that was upheld by the record sales numbers. As a DJ and music director I had a certain amount of discretion regarding what I played (or what was played) on the radio stations I worked for, and I used that discretion to expose my audience to songs that I felt were worthwhile despite their low probability of becoming a #1 hit. My "ear" was good enough to know that even though they might never make #1, they could probably make it into the low-30's on the Top 40 chart, so I was doing my bit for "art".

But I was/am also a musician, so even in high school I managed to find out about the Howlin' Wolf and John Lee Hooker records that I had to go "downtown" to buy. So while the Top 40 guided my musical tastes, it by no means dictated them.

There is some good and exciting music out there, but by and large it's like the $5.00 DVD bin at Walmart...sure I might find some "gem" I had been trying to find for years, but it's just not worth wading through the 500 "dogs" in the bin to find it.

Do you know where I found the last song I really sorta liked? It was "What Doesn't Kill You" by Kelly Clarkson, and they were using it behind a promo for some disposable TV show.

As Jay Frank noted, some artists are still selling lots of music. Lady Gaga, whom I don't care for. Kelly Clarkson...I'm a sucker for barefoot women. Katy Perry...I'm old but I'm not dead, and there are a couple of things about her that I find quite appealing. The last artist-with-guys I liked is Arcade Fire, whom I found out about from a Rolling Stone in the barbership.

Back in the day I had a t-shirt that had "F*ck Art! Let's Boogie!" printed on it. And that's a sentiment that still holds true...if you want people to buy your music, make music that people want to hear...
Old 10th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdenton View Post
But I was/am also a musician, so even in high school I managed to find out about the Howlin' Wolf and John Lee Hooker records that I had to go "downtown" to buy. So while the Top 40 guided my musical tastes, it by no means dictated them.
That's funny..... when I was a high school kid in Oklahoma in the '60s I remember when Slim Harpo's "Baby Scratch My Back" was a middling hit on Top 40 radio. And before that Jimmy Reed's "Big Boss Man".....

The original US release was on Excello, BTW.

Back then you might hear most anything on Top 40
Old 10th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
dunno haven't seen photos

probably not the same one...
::emily[dash]white[dot]com::

This must be photoshopped... she looks exactly like somebody from Pink Floyd!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search