The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Buying twitter followers!
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

Buying twitter followers!

I'm seeing this more and more from a lot of artists, they have over 25K followers and only 250 likes on FB and they post up a link of a new single and only have 300 downloads in a month, I've also seen this in Youtube, 200K views in 2 weeks for someone who is not known within our genre, weird.

My question is why and how is this allowed from these corps? Youtube, Twitter, FB, ect.
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgbravo View Post
I'm seeing this more and more from a lot of artists, they have over 25K followers and only 250 likes on FB and they post up a link of a new single and only have 300 downloads in a month, I've also seen this in Youtube, 200K views in 2 weeks for someone who is not known within our genre, weird.

My question is why and how is this allowed from these corps? Youtube, Twitter, FB, ect.
Can I turn this question around slightly, and ask why you think it wouldn't be allowed? And as a followup, why do you think it shouldn't be allowed? Who is harmed by it, and who actually materially benefits from it?

(The one circumstance you describe in which I can see a potential material benefit for the perpetrator would be fraudulent Youtube views for advertising revenue purposes, but this, interestingly, is is not a situation where I would find reasonable cause for concern; Youtube has a diligent verification process for all suspect view counts. Indeed, the sustainability of their business depends on it!)
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

Twitter's own rules don't specifically say you can't buy followers, but their "best practices" section says you can't use services which promise followers if it's by giving your account access to a 3rd-party app:

https://support.twitter.com/articles...best-practices

Using Third Party Applications to “Get More Followers
Fast!”

You may encounter websites or applications claiming they
can help you get lots of followers quickly. These programs
may ask for payment for followers, or ask you to follow a
list of other users in order to participate. The Twitter
Rules addresses the use of these programs by disallowing:

Using or promoting third-party sites that claim to get you
more followers (such as follower trains, sites promising
‘more followers fast,’ or any other site that offers to
automatically add followers to your account).

But it happens all the time. This study found that corporations are doing it too -- Dell Outlet got caught:

http://www.camisanicalzolari.com/MCC-Twitter-ENG.pdf
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Guru

Dell

Social Media Listening Centers
installed in a university near you

Old 4th July 2012
Celebrities also earn money from their Tweets.
The whole thing is being used and abused.
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld View Post
Can I turn this question around slightly, and ask why you think it wouldn't be allowed? And as a followup, why do you think it shouldn't be allowed? Who is harmed by it, and who actually materially benefits from it?

(The one circumstance you describe in which I can see a potential material benefit for the perpetrator would be fraudulent Youtube views for advertising revenue purposes, but this, interestingly, is is not a situation where I would find reasonable cause for concern; Youtube has a diligent verification process for all suspect view counts. Indeed, the sustainability of their business depends on it!)
I don't have a problem with it, I'm just curious.

A few of my buddies have done it.

But think about it all this following and no results, what are you really benefiting from it? I saw someone post it makes them look "legit" like seriously? lol I remember this from the myspace days where a few people had over 25 million total plays and then Twitter and facebook came by and they didn't have that same reach or following until these 3rd party clients came along.

I never mentioned it harms anyone or that it materially benefits them and it's not fair to me. I'm not complaining.
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
Twitter's own rules don't specifically say you can't buy followers, but their "best practices" section says you can't use services which promise followers if it's by giving your account access to a 3rd-party app:

https://support.twitter.com/articles...best-practices

Using Third Party Applications to “Get More Followers
Fast!”

You may encounter websites or applications claiming they
can help you get lots of followers quickly. These programs
may ask for payment for followers, or ask you to follow a
list of other users in order to participate. The Twitter
Rules addresses the use of these programs by disallowing:

Using or promoting third-party sites that claim to get you
more followers (such as follower trains, sites promising
‘more followers fast,’ or any other site that offers to
automatically add followers to your account).

But it happens all the time. This study found that corporations are doing it too -- Dell Outlet got caught:

http://www.camisanicalzolari.com/MCC-Twitter-ENG.pdf

Much better response thanks
Old 24th July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgbravo View Post

I had a PM from someone on Soundcloud...the premise was asking how to attract 'followers'...the content linked to software which claimed to boost the number of followers. The system appears to use a form of Game Theory: the software will make multiple 'followings' and later delete these, in the meantime a certain (calculated) percentage of 'the followed' will respond by following.

One way around this is to not follow new followers until a given time; I noticed that I regularly get blocks of followers that disappear after a few days. Usually I will visit a follower to check out their music; if I like it I follow.

Not sure if something similar is happenning on other sites too.
Old 24th July 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Celebrities also earn money from their Tweets.
The whole thing is being used and abused.
Speaking of abusing the system.

The word celebrity means this from an online dictionary.

"late 14c., "solemn rite or ceremony," from O.Fr. celebrité "celebration," from L. celibritatem (nom. celebritas) "multitude, fame," from celeber "frequented, populous" (see celebrate). Meaning "condition of being famous" is from c.1600; that of "famous person" is from 1849."

From what I can understand of history and literal meaning of that word, a celebrity is someone who is celebrated where they go, not everywhere but where they have the fame, they are given receptions and events are put on for them, to celebrate them. In turn they perform. When they can no longer perform they are no longer celebrated... Not that they don't command respect or whatever, they just stop touring...
These tours were payed for by someone else, for them. They were received and they entertained for that... It was a kind of give and take arrangement.
These days people buy a reception, pay for word of mouth about their notoriety or manufacture it through a really dumb justice system ala Paris Hilton or Coldplay and they keep performing all over your face without stopping all the while cashing in on advertising being pumped in along side. The whole system is corrupt and stupid and lacking any kind of integrity at all. This is why it's so much fun to watch. Kind of making them a form of ship in a bottle. Everyone gets the eccentricities and high jinx of the mad/talented without having to let them in their home... I'm changing my view. The world is okay again.
Old 24th July 2012
fdc
Gear Head

some house / techno promoters think someone with a high facebook fan nr. is more known than someone with a lower nr...which is bull**** but some of them are so lame.
obviously you cant measure international fame with a facebook fanpage. you can also buy fans for facebook. also you can change your profile page into a fanpage after you collected friends and all of them become fans...
so yeah there can be little benefit in certain cases.
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

Music industry is not too far removed from drugs and racketeering. It attracts lowlifes who see an opportunity for a get rich quick scheme. I don't have a problem with this development. Twitter will die off and be replaced with something else and similar issues will emerge in a different form.
Old 26th July 2012
Eat
Lives for gear

is twat the past tense of twit?
Old 29th July 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

Tweet is.

Tweet, twit, twat. What when and why?
Old 29th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyA View Post
Tweet is.

Tweet, twit, twat. What when and why?
Old 15th August 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdc View Post
some house / techno promoters think someone with a high facebook fan nr. is more known than someone with a lower nr...which is bull**** but some of them are so lame.
obviously you cant measure international fame with a facebook fanpage. you can also buy fans for facebook. also you can change your profile page into a fanpage after you collected friends and all of them become fans...
so yeah there can be little benefit in certain cases.
Here's the deal: promoters have gotten so damn lazy they only care about fan counts. If the person has a high fan count then they will book them. If not then it's "who are you again?". A good friend of mine, after telling him this, said "why bring a knife to a gun fight?"

Most EDM artists are buying fans and twitter followers. It's no secret. And you can buy them for $5. The system is abused for sure.

Facebook_ray will add 1800 facebook like or fans in about 48 hour to your facebooks fan page and only likes fanpages, status without admin access for $5, only on fiverr.com

Twitterfffollow will add 20999+ twitter followers by your profile link to larger your twitters follower in 1 day without your account credentials for $5, only on fiverr.com

Youtube_tube will give you guaranteed 10,000 youtube views to your video within 72 hours for $5, only on fiverr.com
Old 15th August 2012
Deleted User #106149
As far as YouTube used to be concerned, plays put you up the keyword search ladder which was very useful. Not sure if that's the case anymore.

If you go to the Black hat forums you can see all the dodgy digital marketing guys and scammers discussing the latest bots. You'll also be amazed at the lengths some of them go to to scam people on Facebook.

I worked for record labels in marketing. Black hat (unethical) tactics was and probably still is industry standard.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz App
Old 15th August 2012
Gear Addict

Follow me i follow back! I know you don't care about my tweets and i don't care about your tweets. Teamfollowback !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111 plx!!! IT MAKES NO SENSE BUT RETWEET AND GET 100 NEW FOLLOWERS !!!1
Old 15th August 2012
It's all about hype. The more followers the more "famous" the public thinks you are. They buy hype. Its been happening since the Beatles and even before. Same old game, just a new way to play it.

Sent from my M860 using Gearslutz App
Old 15th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
I thought it was the verb... To twat...:D

Remember calling my step mum a twat when i was about 11, she made me look it up in the dictionary :eek:
Old 15th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
Music industry is not too far removed from drugs and racketeering. It attracts lowlifes who see an opportunity for a get rich quick scheme. I don't have a problem with this development. Twitter will die off and be replaced with something else and similar issues will emerge in a different form.
This is it. My mate is a music promoter who spends his days ripping off desperate bands...
Old 15th August 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
Assuredly! The new word for mention is also [email protected], or twat for short.
Old 16th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
The chances of getting rich quick - or slowly - in music are somewhat worse than your odds of winning in Las Vegas.
Old 16th August 2012
Lives for gear

I got more from the thread than expected, thanks.

Check this method I currently found out about....this up and coming artist is signed to some guy out here in my city, anyways he had enough money to pay an established artist in my genre to credit his artists Facebook for a few thousand so now this guy went from 500 Likes to 100K Likes in less than a year lol
Old 16th August 2012
Yeah - you've got 100,000 Facebook "likes" but you're lucky to get 20 people at your shows.
Old 16th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Yeah - you've got 100,000 Facebook "likes" but you're lucky to get 20 people at your shows.
The people are actually falling for it they think he is a "star" he is average at most, mediocre, and when these things start to leak out? Ouch.
Old 16th August 2012
Buying facebook like/twitter followers/youtube views etc is like buying hookers.King for a day,fool for a lifetime as Mr Patton would say...
Old 22nd August 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Switters View Post
Buying facebook like/twitter followers/youtube views etc is like buying hookers.King for a day,fool for a lifetime as Mr Patton would say...
I can spot the flaw in your plan...

You supposed to rent hookers.

The mail order bride I purchased told me so.
Old 22nd August 2012
Your mail order bride actually talks to you?
Old 22nd August 2012
Old 22nd August 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Your mail order bride actually talks to you?
We SMS on the weekend.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search