The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Licensing for christian/worship music
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Addict

Licensing for christian/worship music

I spent the last year and a half writing and producing some christian worship music. Mastering will be complete next week. I know little to nothing about how to pursue licensing options. I will send it to lots of artists and churches that tend to license a lot of music. I have some connections with some local sources as well, but I dont know how it will play out.

I'm curious if anyone has had luck with song placent sites with religious music?

Any other advice would be great.
Old 20th March 2012
Gear Addict

It's vital that you set yourself up to make money before you start trying to sell your material. Get a songtrust.com account, register with a PRO, file the copyrights for your music.

That's step 1.

Beyond that, I don't know much about how christian music is marketed or how churches license music. Would you be selling sheet music?

Pro tip: If you're sending promo CD's, make sure they aren't shrink wrapped. Especially for radio stations/periodicals. Folks that receive 100s of CDs every month often won't even bother with albums that take effort to open.
Old 20th March 2012
Gear Addict

Excellent advice. Thanks. I will look into that right away.

If anyone else has some tips, I could use them.
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

It's the same as any other business and yes the church is a business. I've been involved in worship music since the 70's (left mostly in the 90's) and one thing I learned is that churches and their leaders are no different than anyone else. They are humans as well. They *will* pirate your music, charts and so forth and they will attempt to justify it to themselves as "doing the Lord's work". IOW copying those cantata charts for the 5 flute players as opposed as paying proper performance rights is done all the time.
Of course not everyone will do this however I am just advising you not to fall into the trap of believing that because this is for the church and so forth that the business angle is somehow "friendlier".

It's not.

It's all about making money and in some ways the contemporary christian music scene is even more cutthroat than secular music.

Protect your music to the fullest extent of the law and never let your dedication to your religion cloud your good business sense.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I have seen how the industry works.

BTW this is an awful post to be making on Palm Sunday but I'm trying to save you some grief.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search